Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    You aren't alone; I'm very lackluster about BFA expansion following Legion partly because of the races.

First off, the expansion is about war between factions... but everything now is opt in PVP and all realms are now basically PVE realms. That isn't war.

Secondly, the races themselves are very safe, generic, and well... boring to me at least. Elves, dwarves, and tauren. zzzzzzz. Horde should have got Ogres, demons, and naga. Alliance should have got Centaurs, murlocs, and draconians (half dragons half humanoid)

Thirdly, there are no new exciting classes. This expansion Blizz should have dropped 3 new classes: Tinkerer, necromancer, and dark ranger.

I dunno, i'm not a negative nancy and i hope BFA is amazing and people love it but for me personally it feels very flat and the races are a part of that. WoW: Classic though, can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    You aren't alone; I'm very lackluster about BFA expansion following Legion partly because of the races.

First off, the expansion is about war between factions... but everything now is opt in PVP and all realms are now basically PVE realms. That isn't war.

Secondly, the races themselves are very safe, generic, and well... boring to me at least. Elves, dwarves, and tauren. zzzzzzz. Horde should have got Ogres, demons, and naga. Alliance should have got Centaurs, murlocs, and draconians (half dragons half humanoid)

Thirdly, there are no new exciting classes. This expansion Blizz should have dropped 3 new classes: Tinkerer, necromancer, and dark ranger.

I dunno, i'm not a negative nancy and i hope BFA is amazing and people love it but for me personally it feels very flat and the races are a part of that. WoW: Classic though, can't wait.

Lmao. Centaurs? Naga? Really? 3 new classes?

Deleted
    Are you serious? High, possibly?

The only way Blizzard could push out more than a couple of races for a new expansion was to reskin the existing ones, which is why we got subraces. And you want them to create animations and adapt all existing amor models to centaurs, naga and even create female murlocs?
    Three new classes? Since when we got more than one new class per expansion?

Talk about realistic expectations, jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Redzonetode View Post
    Lmao. Centaurs? Naga? Really? 3 new classes?
    Dream big. There's no reason all of that shouldn't be possible in 2018. Instead, we got generic elves, dwarves, and taurens.... how lackluster. Zzzzzz

They needed to aim for the stars with WOW: Classic looming large, and instead it's like they just did the most boring safe options they could. No new classes and new races are just reskins and not real new races. It's very boring, IMHO.

I've loved Legion and mythic raided all the way through (still going) but i don't have any interest in BFA.

It's a war expansions WITHOUT war (pvp) and it's main selling point are races that don't have any appeal to a large segment of WoW's population

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xavin View Post
    Are you serious? High, possibly?

The only way Blizzard could push out more than a couple of races for a new expansion was to reskin the existing ones, which is why we got subraces. And you want them to create animations and adapt all existing amor models to centaurs, naga and even create female murlocs?
    Three new classes? Since when we got more than one new class per expansion?

Talk about realistic expectations, jesus.
    Maybe you need to step outside of WoW and play other games here and there. Other games manage to add MORE with expansions than this. I love WOW and I think Legion was one of the best; but BFA looks like it couldn't be more generic and boring.

The races themselves are boring as all hell and should've been exotic races like Ogres, centaurs, naga, murlocs, etc.

Deleted
    Maybe you need to step outside of WoW and play other games here and there. Other games manage to add MORE with expansions than this. I love WOW and I think Legion was one of the best; but BFA looks like it couldn't be more generic and boring.

The races themselves are boring as all hell and should've been exotic races like Ogres, centaurs, naga, murlocs, etc.
    Yeah well, thanks for your suggestion, but if FFXIV slaps a tail and furry ears or dragon horns over a human model and people pay extra money to play them, that's also one of the reasons why I prefer to keep playing WoW. Maybe it's you who are playing the wrong game here.

7+ Year Old Account
    Atleast Nightborne, Highmountain, and Lightforged are more fun than Void Elves.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavin View Post
    Yeah well, thanks for your suggestion, but if FFXIV slaps a tail and furry ears or dragon horns over a human model and people pay extra money to play them, that's also one of the reasons why I prefer to keep playing WoW. Maybe it's you who are playing the wrong game here.
    No need to be childish or snooty; we can agree to disagree like adults. I've been playing WoW since vanilla (I own a Murky from blizzcon 2005 ffs) and love the game. It's just my opinion that "slapping a tail, furry ears, or dragon horns" on a human model would be better than what we have offered so far for the new races.

IMHO, the new races are boring. I'm not insulting anyone who loves them; i just find them incredibly lackluster. I'd prefer something more exotic and exciting rather than elves, elves, and tauren. Let me guess... the next 'exciting' race will be red orcs? Talk about taking the easy road, blizzard.

Blizzard is a multi-million dollar company who COULD deliver a lot more in terms of new races this expansion than reskins. Why not exotic races like centaurs, murlocs, ogres, etc? Because the art team would have to work harder? Big deal; every other game does it and there's no reason WoW should be playing it safe as possible with new races 14 years into the game especially with WoW: Classic looming so large over BFA.

I'm not negative and saying BFA will suck as an expansion; but the races absolutely do nothing for me.

No need to be childish or snooty; we can agree to disagree like adults. I've been playing WoW since vanilla (I own a Murky from blizzcon 2005 ffs) and love the game. It's just my opinion that "slapping a tail, furry ears, or dragon horns" on a human model would be better than what we have offered so far for the new races.

IMHO, the new races are boring. I'm not insulting anyone who loves them; i just find them incredibly lackluster. I'd prefer something more exotic and exciting rather than elves, elves, and tauren. Let me guess... the next 'exciting' race will be red orcs? Talk about taking the easy road, blizzard.

Blizzard is a multi-million dollar company who COULD deliver a lot more in terms of new races this expansion than reskins. Why not exotic races like centaurs, murlocs, ogres, etc? Because the art team would have to work harder? Big deal; every other game does it and there's no reason WoW should be playing it safe as possible with new races 14 years into the game especially with WoW: Classic looming so large over BFA.

I'm not negative and saying BFA will suck as an expansion; but the races absolutely do nothing for me.

Murlocs arent intelligent enough to be a race, for one. I also don't think WoW:Classic is as threatening as you make it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    You get damage reduction that looks like it scales with your health and incresed versatility.

I'll take both of those any day over "when you die you blow up and do damage" as a paladin tank.
    Ikr...Might just race-change my druid to a HM...gimme dat versatility and DR...

10+ Year Old Account
    While I think Allied Races are generally fine, I agree that they should have a few individual animations to set them apart a little. A different /bow, /sit or /dance would make them seem culturally more distinct. After all they got their own voice over lines.

I imagine that the animation team is probably too swamped and new animations were put on the backburner; though so far I can only think of very few creatures in BfA that would need completely new rigs and animations (long-necked dinosaurs and sethrak for instance).
    Last edited by Ratyrel; 2018-01-31 at 04:45 PM.

Nightborne npc models looks much better than the playable models. We just got recolored night elfs.

Deleted

If you've been playing since 2005 (same here, btw, not that I think it's relevant to this discussion) you have even less reason to have such unrealistic expections and you should know about Blizzard and their glacial times for introducing new races or classes. They are a multi-million dollar company, but WoW is also a very old game by now. While still profitable, I'm pretty sure they are allocating less resources and smaller dev teams to it compares to when they had 12 million active subrscibers. Legion was a success, yes, but mostly compared to WoD.

Disappointed in them as well, but becuase Alliance don't get new druid races. This is a really, really low effort half-assed garbage expansion we are about to be expected to fork over $40 for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaigar View Post
    So I've unlocked the two horde races and played around with them a little bit, and I'm very disappointed.

Nightborne Warlocks look pretty cool... until you start casting and realize that they use the exact same animations as Night Elf. Night Elf channeling animation is so awkward, and their oversized floating shoulders... man.

The Highmountain Tauren racial is also a massive disappointment. Bull Rush works like a really slow roll and about the same distance. You can't turn mid charge and it can't be cast while in the air. You also can't cancel it. You can cast and jump at the same time, but you still travel just slightly less. Also it doesn't stop when you hit a target. Too close to your target and you run right past it. Its so awful, I don't think they even tested this.

They feel so half ass'd. I'm not expecting entirely new animations for everything, but at least a couple to seperate the races just a little in how they feel to play. Playing a Highmountain Tauren feels identical to playing a Tauren with antlers on your head. Slightly changing the swing animations or cast animations, even the smallest amount, would have made a world of difference.
    But that was alwasy what they were supposed to be: Cheap cash grabs.
    Thy could just let people unlock the horns, extra gold details and flashy shadown crap at the barber like changing hair cuts. That would not get more race changes and faction chnages though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by meowfurion View Post
    Disappointed in them as well, but becuase Alliance don't get new druid races. This is a really, really low effort half-assed garbage expansion we are about to be expected to fork over $40 for.
    You guys are judging a whole new expansion on only 4 subraces offered as a pre-order bonus, though. It's not like Allied races is all BfA will offer, and it's way too early to dismiss it as a filler expansion.

Too much hype on one allied race detected...

Nightborne give the boon for Horde players to feel the Alliance Night Elves (or, you are night elf and wants to migrate to the horde)
    Void Elves give the boon for Alliance players to feel Horde Blood elves (or, you are a blood elf and wants to migrate to alliance)

Highmountain Taurens are... taurens. So expect Tauren animation, or did you expected moose animations?
    Same with LF Draenei. They are draeneis, so don't expect space goat animations.

They are sub races, not new races.

Deleted
    I just don't understand the hype surrounding Allied Races, It all seems to...weak, to me.The only mildly interesting ones are Nightborne and Zandalari for the Horde because they're closer to a difference that makes Allied races worth while. There could have been much more interesting races chosen and not even the ones I mentioned are even close to the intrigue of a brand new race. (Void Elves...that's a race?)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    I don't really feel bad for blizzard in this case, because they have positioned them as "new races" rather than what they actually intended them to be: Subraces.
    I partially agree with you: Hazzikostas and what he said about them at Blizzcon is partly to be blamed for some people having unrealistic expectations. Still, it was pretty clear since the data mining of 7.3.5 that AR are mostly reskins.

Nothing to do with the art team "working harder" as an animator in film VFX I can tell you that there are bottlenecks everywhere and it's the length of time they have to get this stuff out that stops them giving you 4 allied races worth of custom animations right now. Let alone some of the crazy races you're talking about there making them work with all the different things associated to a new playable race. Would be nice. But generally I think it's far too easy for people to underestimate the amount of time the art takes. And throwing more people at it just means more in the bottleneck at any one point.

I'd much rather they'd just given us proper customisation of the regular classes though to be honest it's still really feeble choice wise

Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    Atleast Nightborne and Highmountain are more fun than Void Elves and Lightforged.
    Fixed That For you.