Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's fine....I feel the exact same way about the Horde. The ONLY race I can play on Horde side is Tauren. The rest are so terrible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconja View Post
    I don't really mind humans tbh, it's kind of a bummer that they're so much more prevalent than the other races

But they're knights, and knights are cool what can I say.

You don't play Alliance for the lore and story though because it is kind of sub par

You play it because Blizzard design their sets and armor to look good on male humans and only them.
    This is the reason why i have 4 humans. Gear just looks cooler and properly proportioned on them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hachidori View Post
    Infinite retcons. I know it's a platitude but their backstory has been "adjusted" or outright rewritten so many times that caring about them feels like a terrible, shaky investment.
    "expanded backstory" does not equal "retcon"

A retcon is when a story retroactively declares a previous even non-canon. A character previously thought dead who returns to the story after revealing that they faked their death is not a retcon. A retcon would be changing their backstory to never have died at all. The draenei lore does not and never has conflicted with anything else in the lore, they are not a retcon. You can have a story that constantly changes how we perceive previous events, but as long as its explained in-universe, it is not a retcon.

Infinite retcons. I know it's a platitude but their backstory has been "adjusted" or outright rewritten so many times that caring about them feels like a terrible, shaky investment.
    They had 1 minor retcon of about 3 sentences in the WC3 manual.

Orcs were retconned completely from evil demons from hell to misunderstood and corrupted noble savages from another planet.

Humans = Orcs
    Dwarves/Gnomes = sidekicks = Trolls/Tauren
    Jaina = main female character with tragic story = Sylvanas
    Nightelves = token elf race = Bloodelves
    Voidelves = color symmetry elf race = Nightborne

Not that much of a difference.

Taste is subjective. If you can't stand any alliance race that much (to the point where everything about them rubs you the wrong way) then maybe you can choose to not play one? I play both factions, and I can understand people's taste/distaste for all and any race. You should play whatever you feel like. If your desire to do alliance content is bigger than your distaste for them, than maybe you can stand picking a least favorite.

Because other than that, this honestly just feels like an alliance bashing thread. :T
    Last edited by Hugnomo; 2018-02-01 at 12:10 AM.

Here is a reason why horde is better than alliance and i played all of wod as alliance. Now i am back to my roots.
    The portal to current dalaran in orgrimmar is where you spawn when you travel to orgrimmar.
    Man i had forgotten how terrible that magetower in stormwind is.

Lets be serious. Try it out. When you don't like it, stop.
    Dying could endanger your health!

Quote Originally Posted by Brocksley View Post
    They are too stereotypical "good guys" in a "good ole boys club" for me. I can't get into them either.
    Funny. I have basically this same problem with the Horde. The super faction pride I see from posters in varying places on the internet that results in ANY mention of the Alliance being insulted and drowned out by Horde fandom has always made me feel disconnected from the Horde. Find any thread anywhere online where someone shows an Alliance symbol tattoo or something and behold the immediate douchebaggery in the comments. Why is it not okay for the Alliance to have pride in themselves? Why do players feel the need to FOR THE HORDE at any given opportunity?

I don't "get" the Horde players and don't wish to be counted among them.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think you should just use your 110 boost on an Alliance character and unlock Void Elves.

All of those point can essentially be rightfully accused of the other faction, though. The factions are far more similar than different.

Funnily enough I feel exactly the same way, but for the Horde. I have played mostly alliance but I do have several horde characters to 110. I think they have some great looking races and from a distance their lore seems cool, but then I go to actually play them and I lose interest incredibly fast.

I genuinely think whatever faction you start with just has that connection with you the other faction never will. It also doesn't help that I've been mostly an Alliance player for 8 years now. That's a lot of time to spend representing a faction and then wanting to make a "switch" so to speak and experience the other faction.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    Funny. I have basically this same problem with the Horde. The super faction pride I see from posters in varying places on the internet that results in ANY mention of the Alliance being insulted and drowned out by Horde fandom has always made me feel disconnected from the Horde. Find any thread anywhere online where someone shows an Alliance symbol tattoo or something and behold the immediate douchebaggery in the comments. Why is it not okay for the Alliance to have pride in themselves? Why do players feel the need to FOR THE HORDE at any given opportunity?

I don't "get" the Horde players and don't wish to be counted among them.
    There are a lot of toxic people out there who play video games and there are certain aspects of the Horde that appeal to those types of people. It's as simple as that. Not everyone ON the Horde is that way, and in fact I'd say it's most likely a vocal minority that is, but the "smash first, ask questions later," "muscle-head," "screams of rage" vibe the horde has going on (And largely comes from the Orcs in particular) is like a delicious entree to someone who acts that way or wants to act that way in their real life. Anger/hatred issues in real life they get to play out as a fantasy in a video game.

Also, don't get me wrong. The Alliance has these types of Characters AND Players, too, but if you had to look at everything in a vacuum, you can see why those players and character types would gravitate more toward the Horde in the first place sooner than the Alliance. They see the Alliance as "goody two shoes" (AKA, they wanna be a dick and have it be okay with people/get away with it) so they play the "edgy" faction. There are some genuinely amazing and wonderful people who play the Horde, too, though, and some of my closest in game friends are. They just seem to be, from my experience, harder to find.

And with all that said, I'm sure someone could write up a long post similar to mine about how "kids" play the Alliance and how Alliance players are "immature," etc etc. Each faction has its own stereotypes. I just wish the players who acted against those stereotypes were more vocal in their communities sometimes.
    Last edited by Servasus; 2018-02-01 at 03:25 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    I think what the Alliance (story-wise/thematically/heck even in their architecture) has, is this sort of 'Gothic' feeling to them. Words simply fail me to explain what it is. It's in their best WoW storylines (Defias/Scarlet/Vanilla Plaguelands). It's that the faction is both honourable and admirable, but its members hide something within, something dark and twisted that holds them together, not against their will, but very willingly indeed. Ah, I just cannot explain it, unless you are really interested in the Alliance.

On the other hand, Horde just feel so 'mismatched' maybe? It's as if each of its races are ready to pounce on each other (which they are, kind of). There's no seemless interaction between Horde members, and, personally, excluding the Undead, all other Horde storylines fall short.

This post probably made no sense, whatever.
    Be loyal to what matters - Arthur Morgan

NX Friend Code: SW-0102-0077-4738

Quote Originally Posted by CasualFilth View Post
    I think what the Alliance (story-wise/thematically/heck even in their architecture) has, is this sort of 'Gothic' feeling to them. Words simply fail me to explain what it is. It's in their best WoW storylines (Defias/Scarlet/Vanilla Plaguelands). It's that the faction is both honourable and admirable, but its members hide something within, something dark and twisted that holds them together, not against their will, but very willingly indeed. Ah, I just cannot explain it, unless you are really interested in the Alliance.

On the other hand, Horde just feel so 'mismatched' maybe? It's as if each of its races are ready to pounce on each other (which they are, kind of). There's no seemless interaction between Horde members, and, personally, excluding the Undead, all other Horde storylines fall short.

This post probably made no sense, whatever.
    Made sense to me!

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to have a 110 Alliance character to do their side of the BFA questing story (since, for once, it looks like it will be a genuinely different and cool experience.) Problem is I can't get myself interested in anything Alliance-side, not just gameplay wise but from an RP perspective. I'd really like to but my list of gripes is preventing me from getting hyped. Can an enthusiastic member of the Alliance motivate me to give team blue a try?

Just for reference, I have played (and roleplayed): an orc warlock, an undead warrior, a blood elf rogue, a goblin shaman and soon a nightborne mage.

• Humans are clearly the front and center race of Warcraft alongside orcs. They have an immense presence in just about everything and have a dense, rich lore. My problems with them are multi-pronged: everybody plays one, every lore character is one, every part of the story concerns them somehow and I suspect everyone has a stigma for "those normies who roll human." It's hard to get excited over white bread with nothing on it.
    • Dwarves and gnomes are cool, but they have this thing where they feel like sidekicks to the humans. Very few people seem to roll them or take them seriously. Armor is also very compact and (from what I've seen) simply doesn't fit their build, essentially giving you half a transmog. I would give dark irons a try but I won't be able to play one for a very long time.
    • Night elves feel superfluous since I have a nightborne. Worgen feel like humans but with really dated player models (ones I don't even like, since even the vanilla versions look more "vicious" and natural than the playable ones we received.) And draenei have the worst lore I've ever seen, to put it lightly.
    • Obviously I have no way of playing any allied races (not that I like any of them, except maybe dark irons.)
    I have the same feeling except it's with horde. Simply can't get myself to play horde.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

I've always found it weird when people complain about humans in Warcraft. I mean, not only are we all humans in RL, but in TVs and movies that's mostly what you see. I mean, does anybody serious say "I can't watch TV, there's too many people and not enough cartoon animal people and fantasy races"? I think not >.<;
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

I want to have a 110 Alliance character to do their side of the BFA questing story (since, for once, it looks like it will be a genuinely different and cool experience.) Problem is I can't get myself interested in anything Alliance-side, not just gameplay wise but from an RP perspective. I'd really like to but my list of gripes is preventing me from getting hyped. Can an enthusiastic member of the Alliance motivate me to give team blue a try?

Just for reference, I have played (and roleplayed): an orc warlock, an undead warrior, a blood elf rogue, a goblin shaman and soon a nightborne mage.

• Humans are clearly the front and center race of Warcraft alongside orcs. They have an immense presence in just about everything and have a dense, rich lore. My problems with them are multi-pronged: everybody plays one, every lore character is one, every part of the story concerns them somehow and I suspect everyone has a stigma for "those normies who roll human." It's hard to get excited over white bread with nothing on it.
    • Dwarves and gnomes are cool, but they have this thing where they feel like sidekicks to the humans. Very few people seem to roll them or take them seriously. Armor is also very compact and (from what I've seen) simply doesn't fit their build, essentially giving you half a transmog. I would give dark irons a try but I won't be able to play one for a very long time.
    • Night elves feel superfluous since I have a nightborne. Worgen feel like humans but with really dated player models (ones I don't even like, since even the vanilla versions look more "vicious" and natural than the playable ones we received.) And draenei have the worst lore I've ever seen, to put it lightly.
    • Obviously I have no way of playing any allied races (not that I like any of them, except maybe dark irons.)
    If you are that into roleplay suck it up and preorder the expansion make a void elf rogue on a different server and roleplay it as an alternate universe version of ur blood elf rogue forced into joining the Alliance after being banished for the void incident in Silvermoon.

I have been playing for years (just after BC launch) and I have no Alliance characters. My old roommate who got me into WoW had a Gnome Warlock, and I despised it.
    It was the sounds it made, and then there was the interaction with the Alliance NPCs, the all sound somewhat defeated whenever the phrase "For the Alliance" is spoken.
    As far as I have seen (and heard while playing) it hasn't changed. It totally breaks any kind of immersion I have.
    I am willing to try with the new Void Elves/Dark Iron, but I am not sure how far I can stand the voice overs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't get into the Horde. I started on Alliance back in Vanilla, and I've been Alliance since. I have a Tauren at level 100 just because I wanted to use a specific transmog on him, but gave up farming the gear at one point because I knew I'd never actually play the character. Still have him though.

It's a lot of things. The fact that all of my gold and items are on Alliance. The fact that this was the first time in, I think 10 years? That I seriously played on the Horde side. I didn't know any of the quests, any of the zones, where I was supposed to go...I felt like a new player. I eventually just tank spammed dungeons, as my Tauren is a Warrior. I played a bit of the MoP and WoD quest lines, but again, I had no idea what I was doing. On Alliance I've done them so many times now that I can quest and watch Youtube at the same time. Nothing made sense on Horde side.

The only fun part was wrecking face in BGs...since Alliance sucks ass in BGs on my server/shard/whatever, it was nice to actually have win streaks for once. But that wasn't enough to keep me over there and I mothballed the character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

you dont HAVE to get into the Alliance. Maybe your personality or your tastes bring you closer to the Horde and that's fine. I'm the exact opposite of you, I very rarely can empathize with orcs or trolls or whatever, and I vastly prefer Alliance races.

10+ Year Old Account
    Different strokes for different folks, and that's okay.

I'm on the opposite end, despite multiple attempts I just can't vibe with the Horde.