Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Can DKs have the old runes and presences back before legion?

After i seen they deleted presences and just made every single rune the same i just rerolled before legion , i didnt even bother. I feel like without having those u cut off a huge part of skill that could have been used. Im gona be really sad if dks wont get it back since u cant even tell the difference (example) in legion arena between a 2k and a 2.6k player even if they are backpedaling.

I would welcome old rune system back with open arms. Presences maybe to an extent but the rune system were they all were regenerating was amazing. Now we got this idiotic system were only one generates at a time. It is what made a part of the death knight a death knight. Fact that every expansion they make classes more simpler when it gets to the point of pressing 1 button possibly 3 (this is just exaggeration but few classes in my opinion are like this).

15+ Year Old Account
    In PVP, I guess it's okay to have a teeth pulling complex "rotation", if you want to call it that.

But in PVE, the encounters are becoming so ridiculous that the complexity isn't really welcome. Right now Blood is as braindead as it has ever been, but there are still moments where you have to keep Boneshield from falling off and bank up RP.
    Taking Spectral Deflection magnifies this because with that you really have to monitor your Boneshield.

I'll take presences back, but forget about the old rune system, it isn't necessary anymore, especially now that Blood is a hard tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Atop the Golden Throne, wondering how it was easier to get up than back down.
    On the one-hand, as someone who was fond of the original rune system, I still believe there were ways to expand on it that went completely untouched, especially while every spec had their own distinct manipulations of the same resource pools that made them unique.

On the other hand, as someone who remembers the original rune system, from an Unholy perspective... we were constantly plagued with issues like orphaned runes without uses, lengthy setup periods that made it difficult actually swapping between rotations or using abilities outside our core rotation (like Death Strike as Unholy), difficulty swapping targets at-will in cleave scenarios due to rune costs, bugs galore surrounding Death Runes, and virtually no point to Runic Empowerment despite the devs constantly pushing it.
    Ultimately the old system gave us four different resource pools all at once as a baseline, and then talent choices that added even more.

The current system patches up a lot of those, they just use arbitrary limiters to keep us in a similar rotation style so that we'll bother using all of our abilities. Some work, like Frost, because ultimately the system hasn't changed much from "use every rune on Obliterate". Some are just plain frustrating, like Unholy, where we play whack-a-mole on a random number generator to control even more resources used by multiple abilities.

So basically, whether you prefer the old system or the new one, the next iteration needs some big changes.
    Last edited by Leviatharan; 2018-02-01 at 07:47 AM.
    Leviatharan - Level 120 Blood Elf Unholy Death Knight - Inscription/Herbalism - <Conflux> - Drak'Tharon US

Now author of Morbid Musings, a blog dedicated to DK theorycraft. Ish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmightyGerkin View Post
    but the rune system were they all were regenerating was amazing. Now we got this idiotic system were only one generates at a time. It is what made a part of the death knight a death knight.
    Im not sure im getting your Point here. Right now up to 3 Runes are recharging simultaneously?

As Blood i really feel no difference to WoD Rune System and Legion System. In WoD all U/F Runes were used to Deathstrike and then they became Death Runes which were used to Deathstrike (except for massive Aoe). Blood Runes for BB, RP Dump via DC.

If all Runes had been the same it would have not changed gameplay a lot besides more Runes for Deathstrike. (but with blood tap it was already possible to turn Blood Runes into Death Runes)

At least for Blood i dont see the old System coming back with DS being changed to Runic Power. I cant imagine Hearstrike and Marrowrend using different types of Runes would be fun. Because as msdos mentioned in some situations you have to use more Marrowrend to Keep up BS than in others.

Im all in for presences and can imagine seeing them again. They already said they focussed too much on Spec and not Class identity. Changing to UH presences now and then for more movement was a nice Little Gimmick.
    Last edited by mmoca37d6d9cd4; 2018-02-01 at 08:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Current rune system is really good for me. I would love to see the presences back. Maybe with some sort of active/passive mechanics.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes cause having one set of runes you couldn't use was so great. Any other amazing ideas? like having to press twice on every ability before going off?

Deleted
    no thank you, best thing they did in legion for DK.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yassu View Post
    Im sure u enjoy playing it even now u can just close your eyes while doing your LFR.
    You are right. It is not fun that Oh i want to use X ability but i have 2 frost, 1 unholy and 0 blood so i can't use X ability. is not fun.

Deleted
    Ye, nah - let's not go backwards to different runes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Yes cause having one set of runes you couldn't use was so great. Any other amazing ideas? like having to press twice on every ability before going off?
    Maybe we should make our cooldowns cost runes again, that was fun and engaging gameplay. :thinking:

10+ Year Old Account
    No. There is no point. Having to press obligatory abilities from time to time to keep things going is no "gameplay" by any means.

Legion is the best thing that happened to DKs and the part of the reason is the rune system that simplified the base rotation and allowed more interaction between abilities which was added as talents. Old system will overlap the priority of abilities.

If you really want to diversify and challenge your gameplay, install clique and make every ability that you use "mouseover" and manually target enemy hp bars. Here is a true challenge for you, doubt you can manage to pull it off doe

I would love the passive movement speed from unholy pressence back but I rly like the new rune system.

Deleted
    Presences? Heck yes, I really want them back. They added gameplay and flavour to the class, I really miss them.

Old runes tho, absolutely not. That system worked only in WoTLK where you had a plethora of abilities to press and managed runes accordingly. From Cata onwards the system was so bad they HAD to bake baseline passives in all specs that converted the least wanted rune types into death runes to make them works. It is also the reason Blood Tap was basically mandatory for all the specs.
    There was no felxibility in the old system, you were put on a straight highway with signals telling you what to do. Have a blood and frost rune up as unholy? Press Festering Strike, because it's the only ability that consume them both and will convert them in death runes, so that you can Scourge Strike more

No thanks, I'll take Legion rune system over the old one a million times. Especially for blood, now that DS cost runic power, the new system gives you unparalled flexibilty in what you want to use and when.

I would like to get the old presences back, with active/passive functions. Also, I would like to keep the current rune system, but tweak it so all 6 runes can recharge independently.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmightyGerkin View Post
    I would welcome old rune system back with open arms. Presences maybe to an extent but the rune system were they all were regenerating was amazing. Now we got this idiotic system were only one generates at a time. It is what made a part of the death knight a death knight. Fact that every expansion they make classes more simpler when it gets to the point of pressing 1 button possibly 3 (this is just exaggeration but few classes in my opinion are like this).
    One of each pair generates, not one at a time?

Since the OP talked about pvp im gonna assume he misses the days of being a dps in blood presence with hp and defencives boosted so no presences shouldnt come back the way they were!

Old rune system with the old presences is too complicated for the current WoW, they wont bring that back. All i can see is them making the current rune system even easier.

sarcasm but its true sadly

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlian View Post
    Old rune system with the old presences is too complicated for the current WoW, they wont bring that back. All i can see is them making the current rune system even easier.

sarcasm but its true sadly
    Having complicated systems for the sake of it, has nothing to do with player skill level it's simply bad design.

Games that offer more complex system generally are rather fun to play, that's why they work and become succesfull. Not because they are annoyingly hard.

Presences were not hard to use at all, so that is a dumb statement to make only rivaled by the notion that old runes made things hard.
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 2018-02-01 at 02:32 PM.

I actually prefer the current rune system, but I'd love the precenses back. One of the iconic things about DKs from the very beginning was the versatility they had with presences and death strike regardless of which spec you played, and I for one miss the movement speed of unholy presence and the defensive capabilities of blood presence.