Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    I doubt it's 6 frames worse in UE4.
    UE4 automatically adds 4-6 frames of input delay on PS4 depending on which version they're using and I'm of course talking about the PS4 version because it's the defacto competitive version. It definitely feels on par with Marvel and SFV which are 6.5F but better then launch Tekken 7 which was 9... You can get the PC version lower by turning off V Sync but in reality it means nothing if you're trying to get good at the version that will be played at every local and every major. Good for people that just want to only play online, but a good way to form bad habits if playing in person.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-01-31 at 02:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad I purchased this game. This is the best DBZ game I have ever played. Plus, I don't need an extra $120 to unlock all the roster.

If you like fighting games, you have to support this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    UE4 automatically adds 4-6 frames of input delay on PS4 depending on which version they're using and I'm of course talking about the PS4 version because it's the defacto competitive version. It definitely feels on par with Marvel and SFV which are 6.5F but better then launch Tekken 7 which was 9... You can get the PC version lower by turning off V Sync but in reality it means nothing if you're trying to get good at the version that will be played at every local and every major. Good for people that just want to only play online, but a good way to form bad habits if playing in person.
    That way it's understandable yeah. Being used to online delay can fuck up your tournament/offline execution. I was judging from my perspective, there's zero locals here (weird European country) and I play on PC exclusively online so yeah.

I'm sure GGPO would do well in DBFZ, as long as it's not some weird fucky implementation like in SFV, because that one was horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I do play Xrd, though I've never used the lobbies. I've had to organise pretty much all the games I've played though Discord or some other channel then gone straight into the game with a direct invite.

For whatever reason, GG was never really a huge game outside of Japan it seems. Which is a bit of a shame, if understandable. It's never really had the marketing reach nor the brand recognition of games like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat. The fact that it's just way too.... Well, Japaneese doesn't really help it either.
    It's really a shame because GG is a great game. But it's super niche at least in the west, so what we have is like 300 players worldwide on Steam... enough to fill up a few player rooms in the evenings but that's it. I almost never had balanced matches in there due to lack of people, I either completely stomped newcomers or I got destroyed by the vets. This is one of the reasons why I was excited for DBFZ, because I knew it'll have more people. If GG had more, I'd probably still play GG, as I prefer the 1v1 format.
    Last edited by Grable; 2018-01-31 at 08:15 PM.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'm at Campus Party 2018 and there was a live DBFighterZ tournament here yesterday. Didn't play the game but MAN, this game is HYPE!

Quote Originally Posted by Priestiality View Post
    It's possible to extend air combos with jump cancels. One of the most common combos you'll see in ranked is L, L, crM, M, jump cancel, jL, jM, jump cancel, jL, jM, jH/Special/Super. Literally every character can perform that combo, and if you have someone with a hard hitting level 3 like Black or 18 you can do >50% damage in one combo.
    There are a few that can't do that string. Some require slightly shifted inputs due to launching earlier in their strings. For instance Freiza can't do an j2H -> super dash extend, Fat Buu can't do a LL 2M 5M string, T.Gohan lifts on the 2nd L, etc.

For whatever reason, GG was never really a huge game outside of Japan it seems. Which is a bit of a shame, if understandable. It's never really had the marketing reach nor the brand recognition of games like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat. The fact that it's just way too.... Well, Japaneese doesn't really help it either.
    There are a few specific reasons:

1) Marketing. Non-existent.
    2) Segregates playerbase by making it so updated versions can't play with old. Annually...
    3) Anime asthetic

It's a great game no doubt and I grew up playing basically every fighting game ever made. I loved GG. Chip & Dizzy were my mainstays. A good buddy of mine had a staggeringly filthy I-No and another buddy had a Testament that would take me quite frequently.

I'm given to understand that Arcades are big in Japan, but when you're aiming for a more international audience with a well recognised brand like Dragonball going for that Arcade feel is just weird.

At least they thought to include the option to queue to find a match this time around, I'd hate to have to jump through the same hoops I do with GG to find a game. I'd like them to extend that to Arena matches too. Allowing people to queue up for an 8/16 person tournament open to players of all skill levels would be a great way to give a taste of competition without having to worry too much about actually traveling to one yourself.
    I actually like lobbies. I don't know why, but it's a neat feature. I like being able to see others and hop in. Kinda disappointed there's no actual chat though. I REALLY wish there was a char select screen though. I hate the teams concept. It feels too forced.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    There are a few specific reasons:

1) Marketing. Non-existent.
    2) Segregates playerbase by making it so updated versions can't play with old. Annually...
    3) Anime asthetic
    All of which are true of course.

Fighting games tend to be more niche than other titles anyway, and being a niche title in a niche genre... Yeah. Not a good combination for mass market appeal, no matter how good the games are. Word of mouth and streaming can be a solid way for these kinds to gain some popularity, though GG hasn't done particularly well there either.

Of the problems though, I think the anime asthetic is what turns people away the most. Not so much the art style itself as the character designs. What SF and MK have in common is simple and clean character designs, and Scorpion, Ryu, Chun Li etc memorable because of it. The same is true of memorable characters both from video games and other media. Be they Batman, Super Mario or even other anime characters like Goku or Pikachu. Simplicity works, yet it's a lesson Japanese art teams seem to have forgotten.

In Xrd characters are an assault of belts, hair, zippers and writing. Their designs and animations make them hard to look at not only for players, but for viewers on Twitch and so on too which in turn makes marketing the game mostly via word of mouth far more difficult.

I actually like lobbies. I don't know why, but it's a neat feature. I like being able to see others and hop in. Kinda disappointed there's no actual chat though. I REALLY wish there was a char select screen though. I hate the teams concept. It feels too forced.
    Lobbies are a nice feature, but they're functionally redundant. They're basically a fancy looking menu that's more awkward to navigate. Not even being able to chat properly is a bring down too - It makes it that much harder to connect with players in game, epecially given the other lack of social features the game has right now. Having to be in a lobby to join matchmade games is also quite an odd design choice, especially if you're taking a spot from someone who might want to do Ring matches with others in the room.

Then again, my opinion of lobbies might be slightly biased - I've had real trouble staying in well populated ones since the game launched, and the recent patch has only made matters worse.

I like the idea of having pre-setup teams. It cuts out a couple of steps if you're planning on playing the same team consistantly. Having to pick the same three characters in the same order every game would get old. Fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    I'm at Campus Party 2018 and there was a live DBFighterZ tournament here yesterday. Didn't play the game but MAN, this game is HYPE!
    You should have played if you had the chance. It feels as good to play as it looks, and is remarkably easy to get the hang of even for a beginner. It takes very little practice to execute combos that can remove as much as 50% of someones health bar and destroy half of the arena too. The game has a way of making even the worst players feel like they're awesome.

I'm sure GGPO would do well in DBFZ, as long as it's not some weird fucky implementation like in SFV, because that one was horrible.
    Yea, SFV is not GGPO. It's some proprietary rollback system capcom made. So pretty much in same boat as all the JP fighting games with them trying to "do it themselves" and making an inferior system lol.

Great video with a lot of combo and assist possibilities.

Aww yea they got Piccolo's Hellzone Grenade.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm on PS4. I can play local no problem online. You just go to the local battle part of the lobby. My brother and I did it yesterday.

You're not losing 75% of your HP when you get hit in the air. Most combo routes are very short when you get caught in the air. If you're being opened up on the ground and transitioned to air that's one thing, but even still 75% damage combos require either a mastery of gameplay mechanics or a staggering amount of meter expenditure, likely a combination of both.
    Well maybe 75% is exaggerating but yeah I am losing waaaay too much hp for one single combo from Goku Black. I remember he was mid air doing the light attacks combo + he instant transimission then continue the same light attack combos and then afterward the projectile that Goku Black can do while in mid air so yeah a lot of hp losing tbh for one single combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Well maybe 75% is exaggerating but yeah I am losing waaaay too much hp for one single combo from Goku Black. I remember he was mid air doing the light attacks combo + he instant transimission then continue the same light attack combos and then afterward the projectile that Goku Black can do while in mid air so yeah a lot of hp losing tbh for one single combo.
    Losing a lot of HP in a single combo is only really possible if you're using a lot of meter and/or level 3 Supers. While burning meter has a time and place, being able to leave a huge dent in someone's HP every single time you can confirm into a combo isn't at all a reality. You might lose 20-25% from a good ground to air combo without meter being spent, but the combo scaling gradually overtakes your ability to deal damage and you reach a point where you've got to spend meter to push the envelope for a KO, or else reset.

Also remember that you can recover the blue part of the damage you take by swapping the character out and/or with Senzu Beans. That's what... about 50% of the damage you've taken? Sure it looks like you've lost a lot, but the reality is much less severe. Thats why there's a 5 minute timer on each fight, because it can take a long time to get through that much HP. Plenty of mine have gone to 30 seconds and less before there was a winner.