Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnagefiend View Post
    So, your point of view is the lore doesn't matter?
    Lore is, by definition, something a writer created. If they wanted to add more death knights, they could create lore to justify it.

Probably doesn't help that it's already established (in the Lore!) that the Ebon Blade can raise more death knights, which nukes the whole argument on its face.

So you propose that allied races be sent 10 years into the past so they can be Death Knights when Arthas was alive and well?

Quote Originally Posted by Futch View Post
    Zandalari could potentially be Death Knights since they had small tribes in Northrend. Not sure about Dark Irons because they joined the Alliance in Cata don't know if they were in No rthrend when Arthas raised Death Knights.
    Every single PC Death Knight in this game was raised before the events that kicked off Wrath. Not a single PC Death Knight was ever in Northrend before becoming a Death Knight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cedon View Post
    So you propose that allied races be sent 10 years into the past so they can be Death Knights when Arthas was alive and well?
    Because they are definitively not sent back in time to clean up the events of the Cataclysm, Pandaria, WoD, and Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GamerLCD View Post
    Why is it that whenever Blizzard decides to add new races to the game Death Knights are never considered?

Believe me, I understand the whole "It's about the Lore" arguments but look at it from our point of view. These races are being marketed and promoted as "new content" as part of the new expansion, so what we're essentially being told is go ahead and enjoy them...that is unless of course you play Death knights or Demon Hunters then screw you. What about Pandaren, this race has been exposed to the other continents and death knights for years now and we still can't roll Pandaraen Death Knights?

Come on Blizzard work with us here, can we just let players enjoy all the new content and not be restricted because of the class I play? Just let me roll a Void Elf Death Knight for goodness sake!

I'm not saying every class should be able to be every race in the game, but there are certainly clear and valid arguments to be made for allowing Death Knights to be Void Elves, Highmountain Tauren and Pandaren; you can even find these NPCS in the game. We've been raising new Death knights the entire time in Legion and Bolvar could very well make new ones as well if he wanted.
    Because they're new races that weren't around when the Lich King was? Very few Pandaren...Nightborne were behind their shield...Highmoutain still on their mountain...Void Elves didn't exist...Army of Light wasn't discovered...

Only viable options I would say would be Dark Irons and Zandalari...be even they could be considered a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedon View Post
    I mean playing fast and loose with time travel is already an established feature of the game, so why not?

Or you could just say it's a vision of the past, given to new death knights to help them understand the ebon blade's origins. EZPZ

No, Death Knights are not being shafted here. Just because DKs can't be every single race doesn't mean they are being shafted.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHandsB View Post
    Horde paladins got the shaft more than anyone. Already have the fewest racial choice of any class and still didn't get access to a single sub-race.
    Some classes just have a strong fantasy and wouldn’t be appropriate with some combinations. Particularly paladin, Druid and shaman. The paladin situation is a throwback to when they were an alliance only class.

DK already has quite a generous race selection. But it’s fantasy around the Lich king makes it difficult to fit new races into it.

If the scourge ever return then I’m sure it will open up again.

Highmountain Tauren can't be Priests... why are Priests shafted again ?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well listen, Death Knights are already the best class. Best class in town. If you give them all the strong new racials they'll become so good no one will roll any other classes ever.

On second thought, nevermind. That sounds awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    The starter experience is time-stamped. That's why I said they have to create something new in order for new races to work. The exception are races that existed in the world before, like Dark Iron Dwarves (Finalboss Interviews with Devs), who are already being considered as Death Knights.

And no, I'm not talking about Arthas because we don't play as Arthas. We play as Void Elves and Highmountain and Lightforged and Nightborne, and none of those races were around when the shit went down between Darion Mograine, Arthas and Tirion Fordring.
    I mean... if for some reason you really want to bind yourself a specific timeline from a currently broken starting zone in a ten year old fantasy universe, you better put some thought into a lore explanation for character boosting as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Wyattbw09 View Post
    Every single PC Death Knight in this game was raised before the events that kicked off Wrath. Not a single PC Death Knight was ever in Northrend before becoming a Death Knight.

- - - Updated - - -

Because they are definitively not sent back in time to clean up the events of the Cataclysm, Pandaria, WoD, and Legion.
    And the Zandalari have been in Northrend long before those events. I don't have any proof of Dark Irons being there at all. There is proof in lore that The trolls have.

So they could be Do a, potentially.

Quote Originally Posted by rrp.nikolai View Post
    I mean... if for some reason you really want to bind yourself a specific timeline from a currently broken starting zone in a ten year old fantasy universe, you better put some thought into a lore explanation for character boosting as well...
    Boosting is like fast forwarding a story not saying it never happened. A boosted character is presumed to have done all the important stuff they fast forwarded through. A boosted DK just did the starting area off camera if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    Because they're new races that weren't around when the Lich King was? Very few Pandaren...Nightborne were behind their shield...Highmoutain still on their mountain...Void Elves didn't exist...Army of Light wasn't discovered...

Only viable options I would say would be Dark Irons and Zandalari...be even they could be considered a stretch.
    you know what else wasn't around when the lich king started making his moves (and the ebon blade revolted)? illidan and his black temple shenanigans. doesn't stop the game from forcing literally every death knight ever made from having to go battle the dark forces of illidan in outlands the moment they're free of the lich king... herp-de-derp.

Then you're questioning why we have any race-class constraint and that's not my problem, it's yours. Nothing about this is my reason for wanting to bind myself to anything, I'm literally pointing out the game constraints that Blizzard themselves are creating. If you think that anything should be possible because 'Character boosts' then you're the one who is living in a fantasy universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Quote Originally Posted by tychodin View Post
    you know what else wasn't around when the lich king started making his moves (and the ebon blade revolted)? illidan and his black temple shenanigans. doesn't stop the game from forcing literally every death knight ever made from having to go battle the dark forces of illidan in outlands the moment they're free of the lich king... herp-de-derp.
    Well these days a DK can pretty much go straight to northrend which is good. That was always really crap, and probably more reflective of Blizz being much more conservative with level boosts in general back then. Starting at 55 in WotLK was a big deal then. Let alone 65!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyattbw09 View Post
    Yup. Imagine the quest text:

"{{ player }}, an urgent crisis has arisen. We need to transport you through the void to Lordaeron 50 years ago. There you are to go get yourself killed by the Scourge so that the Lich King will raise you as a Death Knight. Hopefully... This is so that you can join the Ebon Blade when Darion Mograine, Tirion Fordring, and Arthas have their Maury Povich moment."

Nightbourne can have an accident in the dying Night Well, High Mountain Tauren can fall off the peak and go so fast they go back in time, Light Forged Space Goats can have the warp drive malfunction, etc."

Quote Originally Posted by Squiggit View Post
    I mean playing fast and loose with time travel is already an established feature of the game, so why not?

Or you could just say it's a vision of the past, given to new death knights to help them understand the ebon blade's origins. EZPZ
    But then you'd have to level from 1-110 whereas other DKs level 55-110.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemoon View Post
    Boosting is like fast forwarding a story not saying it never happened. A boosted character is presumed to have done all the important stuff they fast forwarded through. A boosted DK just did the starting area off camera if you like.
    Lorewise, a gnome got a letter in his mailbox and then suddenly went mach 10 and was level 100.

I think we can pretty much all agree there's no logical lore reason presented yet that would prevent a Void Elf becoming a Death Knight. Bronze Dragons and cosmetic illusions in lore exist, therefore even within the constraints of being bound to the timeline a Void Elf could become a Death Knight and also experience the Ebon Blade opening. There's enough magic in WoW to justify literally anything...

The real reason Void Elves can't be Death Knights is development and resource priority. Simple fact. I'd rather have a new expansion then a purple DK.

Does every toon you make have to be a Death Knight? If you want to play one of the new races, make an alt and try a different class.

On the other hand, I could see allied races from Northrend, eventually. Taunka and Vrykul DKs ftw!

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Peacemoon View Post
    Well these days a DK can pretty much go straight to northrend which is good. That was always really crap, and probably more reflective of Blizz being much more conservative with level boosts in general back then. Starting at 55 in WotLK was a big deal then. Let alone 65!
    well the point was that blizzard has never had a problem with lore-breaking time travel if it improved gameplay, except in this one very specific way. races created after cata can't be death knights because of time travel problems. draenei crashed onto azeroth at the start of BC, but they still took part in the stockade counter-rebellion that happened years earlier. still participated in ZG and ZA nonsense. still were there to fight the silithids somehow. did everything that everyone else did years in the past even though they weren't even on the same planet at the time. no problem. death knights were released from arthas years after illidan was KILLED and put on ice. still had to go to outlands to kill him and his cronies again. no problem. goblins were neutral until the cataclysm forced one tiny faction of island goblins to join the horde, but hell those goblin DKs were in the horde all along, didn't you know!? no problem there. but panda or moose or void elf or nightborne or lightforged DKs? that's silly, they'd have to time travel somehow!

Lorewise, a gnome got a letter in his mailbox and then suddenly went mach 10 and was level 100.

I think we can pretty much all agree there's no logical lore reason presented yet that would prevent a Void Elf becoming a Death Knight. Bronze Dragons and cosmetic illusions in lore exist, therefore even within the constraints of being bound to the timeline a Void Elf could become a Death Knight and also experience the Ebon Blade opening. There's enough magic in WoW to justify literally anything...

The real reason Void Elves can't be Death Knights is development and resource priority. Simple fact. I'd rather have a new expansion then a purple DK.
    No idea what you are going on about gnomes and letterboxes, and there is no development reason why void elves couldn’t be death knights it’s purely lore reasons. Blizzard could easily make it happen if they wanted.

And yes people can come up with all sorts of time travel crap to justify anything, but Blizzard are the arbiters of what is cool and makes sense and what is rubbish and not. And they don’t always get it right. (WoD, Void Elves in general... etc)