What if we started at 2.0.1/3?

I always considered 2.0.1 and 2.0.3 to be part of classic because the gate to Outland was not open. Could Druid bears or Prot Pallies tank at that point? I know there was lots of QoL improvements added that didn't ruin the social structure, exploration, and game play. and classes were more balanced out. Technically since the gates were not open it was part of Vanilla for a little while so all of this should be completely acceptable by you "purists". Most of the things were addressed QoL wise by that point except set drops for different specs in old raids.

Get your torches out "purists" because I just committed heresy.

Deleted
    LOL. So vanilla to you is only gates closed?

2.0.1 changed everything to TBC, spells and talents alike. You had the 41 point talents and some of which were ridiculously OP in 2.0.1 like the Felguard.

I played since mid vanilla but dont really care about the vanilla servers. I played it at the time, it was the best then but screw doing that nowadays . Anyway as for the topic i probably wouldn't consider it part of the vanilla version for a simple reason. That was the TBC class tree modification that kicked in which also nerfed vanilla content heavily due to the free massive power boost everyone got. If you think back on vanilla there were quite a few of class rebalances but that was due to a lot of classes being dogshit early on so it was to make them viable during vanilla. This was a massive boost at the tail end of vanilla made specifically for the then upcomming TBC xpac.

Raids were nerfed hard by 1.12 anyways and need to be reworked. Not to mention that the PvP gear was better than almost all of the gear from MC to BWL so either something needs to happen towards the PvP end or loot drops need to be reworked anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatfire View Post
    Raids were nerfed hard by 1.12 anyways and need to be reworked. Not to mention that the PvP gear was better than almost all of the gear from MC to BWL so either something needs to happen towards the PvP end or loot drops need to be reworked anyways.
    PVP gear was better than MC and BWL but it took a significantly larger commitment to get this gear over Raiding. Which in comparison MC could be cleared by characters in blues/T0.5 in 1.12 4 hours or less.

I do hope they add in the summoning stones. I don't really know what patch would be the best class balance wise, I would hope they've learned enough over the years from their mistakes to make that part custom. I'm not sure there was any vanilla patch where the classes were really balanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

My pet had no trouble tanking Hakkar in the TBC pre-patch. The game was completely broken for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogfaroth View Post
    My pet had no trouble tanking Hakkar in the TBC pre-patch. The game was completely broken for a while.
    boars used to tank him well before then due to the no fear on the pet thing. we did it in my group.

I rather enjoyed that brief period of WoW. I played feral druid in classic and I had to scrape up all sorts of random gear just to get my dps up to a decent level. when that patch hit though I jumped up to #1 in dps by a VERY wide margin because they added mangle. It was rather amusing watching all the other dps cry about that.

basically when that patch hit everything was so messed up. new skills like mangle were not balance for level 60, they were far out of proportion and screwed up everything. 2.0.1 was not in any way classic, it was a fun couple weeks before BC hit but in no way should be how it is on the classic servers.