Page 1 of 3
LastLast

PlayStation 4 passes 75m milestone Another 9m shifted over Christmas.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-75m-milestone

PlayStation 4 shipments have now passed 76.5m consoles.

Sony shifted another 9m consoles during the three months ending 31st December, 2017 - although this figure was slightly down (by 700k) on the same period in 2016.

Still, the PlayStation division's profits were way up - from 617bn to 718bn yen - thanks to an increase in PlayStation software sales, of which Sony takes a cut.

PS4 is the undisputed winner of this current console generation (Microsoft has stopped releasing its own hardware figures to avoid comparisons) and is now closing in on the 83.8m lifetime sales of PS3.

It's a good time, then, for long-standing Sony boss Kaz Hirai to call it a day. PlayStation boss Andrew House also announced his departure from the company last year.
    So if the numbers keep up in 5 years the PS4 will sell more than the PS3 did in 10 years and depending how long Sony decides to keep the system on the market it can reach PS2 numbers.

Highly impressive IMO.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I'll eventually buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I'll eventually buy one.
    Cool there is tons of bundles around whenever u decide to look for one.

I own a Original Ps4 and a Ps4 Pro.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Cool there is tons of bundles around whenever u decide to look for one.

I own a Original Ps4 and a Ps4 Pro.
    PS4 pro is the one that can play 4K blu rays and 4K games right?

15+ Year Old Account
    This is an impressive number, but Sony's numbers always bothered me. They intentionally list "shipped" and not "sold" when they make these big announcements. I use to manage several larger gaming stores back during the PS2 through PS3 eras and they started doing the same thing back then. They'd come out with a big announcement with "X number shipped! We're number 1!" Then I'd look at my stock of 30+ PS3 sitting on my shelf wondering wtf was going on. At the same time, we couldn't keep Wii's in stock for anything (not the Wii U, I wasn't there for that). It was the same across all the stores I managed. Always this "shipped" number.

I'm sure the PS4's sold number is impressive. I have one myself and I enjoy it. If they were posting the sales numbers, it would still sound great. Still, more than a decade later, they are sticking with their consoles "Shipped" figures to make quarters sound more impressive than they are. Nintendo uses "consoles sold" for their metric, which though lower, I appreciate as it gives a number of their consumer base. I've been a consumer of Sony products since the original Playstation and have met numerous people from Sony in at events or private meetings. I'll likely continue to buy their products in the future as long as I think they still put out a solid system. I just don't like the practice of using shipped over sold.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    PS4 pro is the one that can play 4K blu rays and 4K games right?
    Nether model of PS4 can play 4K Blu-Rays that would be the XboxOne X and S(But Pro can play digital 4K content). But the PS4 Pro does have games that plays at many resolutions above 1080p and up to Native 4K. Lots of games even run better on the Pro over the Base system in many ways.

So if you don't have a 4K tv (like me) there is still benefits.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    --snip--
    Wouldn't be surprised if Shipped/Sold goes hand in hand with Sony's reports (but I could be wrong). The last time they said sold I do believe was at the 60 million mark.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Nether model of PS4 can play 4K Blu-Rays that would be the XboxOne X and S(But Pro can play digital 4K content). But the PS4 Pro does have games that plays at many resolutions above 1080p and up to Native 4K. Lots of games even run better on the Pro over the Base system in many ways.

So if you don't have a 4K tv (like me) there is still benefits.

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't be surprised if Shipped/Sold goes hand in hand with Sony's reports (but I could be wrong). The last time they said sold I do believe was at the 60 million mark.
    It is possible. Like I said, it was an intentionally wording choice they pulled back during the PS3 era. Their console was doing really poorly at launch, so they needed to find a way to impress investors. They shipped my company as well as others tons of product at launch, but no one could move them at an impressive rate. It was at a time that no one was sure whether Blue Ray or HD DVD was going to be the dominant product and people weren't willing to invest in a $500 console at the time. We tried to move them as best we could, but the stores like mine actually don't make the profits on console sales (only software and accessories).

Soon, Sony started pushing the "Shipped" narative really hard. They even dropped the price on the console too. Consumers were hearing about this magic shipped number and, like yourself, associated it with "sold". The strategy worked. People were feeling more confident and buying it. I mean, doesn't 4 million shipped sound better than 800,000 sold? Its great marketing and I don't fault them for it. They are in the business of selling confidence in their product. As a result, I was happy to sell more of the systems.

I just never liked the practice, because it felt dishonest. I know the numbers are factually correct, but they were smart enough to know what people would infer from it.

Think of it this way, Blizzard was the first company to break 1 million active users. Now imagine, the same thing happened Blizzard that happened to Sony. Blizzard, ships 1 million copies of WoW. They sit on the store shelves. Some die-hard users buy it at first, but most choose to stick with Everquest or Final Fantasy XI, or anything else. Blizzard's parent company is pissed. They invested a lot on this game. Then they come out with a new marketing campaign advertising 1 million units shipped during the holiday season and declaring it a huge success! Well, now consumers are taking interest. They think, "I only have like 2,000 people on my EQ server. Hell, EQ only has about 100k total. I HAVE to try this game now." The marketing campaign worked and Blizzard eventually passes the 1 million sold mark, but never makes that announcement. That's why I don't like it. It might just be me, but as a person who's livelihood was those stores, it was annoying to know we invested in Sony and it wasn't paying off, yet they were capitalizing on the "shipped" number.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sony done good....but they sorta let it get to their head at certain points(See Fallout 4 and mod debacle, Life of Black Tiger..........like really? lol).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Sony done good....but they sorta let it get to their head at certain points(See Fallout 4 and mod debacle, Life of Black Tiger..........like really? lol).
    ....What does that have to do with Sony? Neither of those games are Sony developed or produced.

-snip--
    Oh I don't disagree at all just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if for right now shipped/sold is one in the same. I'm sure they worded it that way for when sells do finally start to drop hard they can still look good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    ....What does that have to do with Sony? Neither of those games are Sony developed or produced.
    Sony refused to allow 3 party mods for Fallout 4. I understand why they did it (To avoid any legal issues) but at the same time its dumb seeing how that isn't a issue on XB1 or PC.

As for life of black tiger, Its the fact the official Sony youtube promoted such a bad game.

This is an impressive number, but Sony's numbers always bothered me. They intentionally list "shipped" and not "sold" when they make these big announcements.
    You're missing a key factor. The "sales" numbers are announced when they reach milestones of sell through, usually every 10 mil or so.

The "shipped" numbers are from investor briefings to keep them up to date on meeting or exceeding goals in that area.

They report both for different reasons.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    You're missing a key factor. The "sales" numbers are announced when they reach milestones of sell through, usually every 10 mil or so.

The "shipped" numbers are from investor briefings to keep them up to date on meeting or exceeding goals in that area.

They report both for different reasons.
    Good to know. I figured it was related to gaining investor confidence. Not a bad tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    It has to do with their shit quality control and subpar standards for allowing games on their console. All of this and they still had the nerve to say they didn't want PUBG on their console because of "quality issues". Sure thing Sony.....meanwhile the steaming hot pile of shit that is known as Life of Black Tiger somehow passes their metric for "quality".

Life of Black Tiger has been nothing but a fucking laughing stock and Sony has been called out on it for allowing it for no other reason than to try and get a quick buck out of their playerbase. They don't give two fucks about quality games.....and it's easy to see that by taking a quick gander at all the shovelware and piles of shit on their store.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2018-02-03 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The PS4 is a very well made system. My biggest complaint is that their UI could use an upgrade. It's not terrible, but it's not great either. With the new KH3 and FF7:Remake on the horizon I wouldn't be surprised if they shifted a decent number in the next year+ as people pick them up to enjoy the Square goodness.
    neither of those games are ps4 exclusives and word on the street is ff7 is in development hell atm.

I don't get it. Sounds kinda low to me... 76.5m consoles. Considering how huge the market is and how many households worldwide could have one... that's kinda low.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._of_households

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I don't get it. Sounds kinda low to me... 76.5m consoles. Considering how huge the market is and how many households worldwide could have one... that's kinda low.

Because every household needs to own one yes? Take into account that not every household wants/needs one and that not every household may be able to afford one first.

It's almost hit total PS3 sales in less than half the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._game_consoles

Personally I can see it possibly hitting 100 mil or just under before it's end of life.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-02-03 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post

The biggest selling console the ps2 which arrived at the perfect time (cheap dvd player + gaming device) sold 155 million. Now it is highly unlikely the PS4 is going to reach that number. But at the rate it is selling it is damn near close to the PS3/Xbox 360 number of around 84 million in half the time of the previous generation.

Not only that but the PS4 has outsold combined the Xbox one (all versions), WiiU and Switch. To say it's not selling low is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    The biggest selling console the ps2 which arrived at the perfect time (cheap dvd player + gaming device) sold 155 million. Now it is highly unlikely the PS4 is going to reach that number. But at the rate it is selling it is damn near close to the PS3/Xbox 360 number of around 84 million in half the time of the previous generation.

Not only that but the PS4 has outsold combined the Xbox one (all versions), WiiU and Switch. To say it's not selling low is incorrect.
    Yea I didn't know the numbers. I thought PS2 sold in the 500 millions.

Very impressive numbers, and Sony probably doesn't have to make the PS5 or w/e for a long time now. The PS4 could potentially last for at least another 5 years if not more. I do wonder what Microsoft is going to do in the future though as the Switch is doing really well right now and Sony is still on top with the PS4.

15+ Year Old Account
    Good on Sony. I had always been an Xbox fan before this generation of consoles. I even started out with an Xbox, but sold it after about 6 months for a PS4. I haven't looked back since. I am pissed though that my PS4, which is a release model, won't update anymore as of about 4 months ago *shrugs. Short of sending it in to get fixed, I've tried everything google and Sony CS can offer. Not sure I want to spend money on another or not.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD