Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Void Elves do absolutely nothing for me since they feel forced and have no history in lore
    Exactly. Lore wise they don't make sense in terms of the lore and the alliance lore as well. Blizzard should have done High Elves simply because they were already in the lore and it would 100% more sense than group of random exiles from Silvermoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Esotaric View Post
    void elf straight up has the exact same model as blood elf which is gross.

nightborne on the other hand is better than i expected.
    Doesn't matter if they are same model. They have be well done in terms of customization. I have seen nice better looking Customization on the Nightborne than Void Elves. Atleast then I look like a Nice Nightborne Elf with Cool Star tattoos and nicely good hair than looking like crazed Gollum elf.

So much questioning of subjective stuff.
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

As much as people are complaining about how the Void Elves and Lightforged Draenei are weak in terms of lore, I honestly feel the same way about all of the races except the Dark Iron Dwarves, and the Zandalari Trolls. I honestly don't have a problem with any of the new Allied races, I'm actually really happy to see that new ones are being added period. I just wish they would have chosen to pick some better choices than the pre-release Allied races. They didn't have the time to put thought into what would be the best Allied races, they simply chose what would be the easiest Allied races. It was so clearly rushed, and all of the recent changes paint the same picture. It's a cash grab the same way all of the recent changes are a cash grab. There are high ups in Blizzard/Activision that are not satisfied with the money that Legion has been making.

Why do people like high elves so much

Personal opinions:

- Void elves should have just been regular high elves - a skin tone change just to make them vaguely different to blood elves in no way makes them more interesting. Plenty of high elf lore to fall back on, it wasn't necessary to create yet another faction.

- High mountain Tauren are just Tauren but I think the moose antlers are too big. They clip pretty much every shoulder model worth showing. They should have been a neutral faction, both factions helped them.

- Nightbourne are fine I guess, I didn't want them to be in legion at all because the broken isles were supposed to be devoid of all life but you know, world of elfcraft being what it is and all. Should have been a neutral faction.

- Lightforged are draenai, literally the exact same thing. May as well not even exist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Fox View Post
    Why do people like high elves so much
    High Elves have an established, rich lore to draw upon. Void elves are do not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Renuts View Post
    As much as people are complaining about how the Void Elves and Lightforged Draenei are weak in terms of lore, I honestly feel the same way about all of the races except the Dark Iron Dwarves, and the Zandalari Trolls. I honestly don't have a problem with any of the new Allied races, I'm actually really happy to see that new ones are being added period. I just wish they would have chosen to pick some better choices than the pre-release Allied races. They didn't have the time to put thought into what would be the best Allied races, they simply chose what would be the easiest Allied races. It was so clearly rushed, and all of the recent changes paint the same picture. It's a cash grab the same way all of the recent changes are a cash grab. There are high ups in Blizzard/Activision that are not satisfied with the money that Legion has been making.
    Dark Iron Dwarves for me have always been a great way to bring another racial type to the Horde. They had all the right reasons to join the Horde with the their eventual end goal being overthrowing the Bronzebeards and controlling Ironforge.

Amani Trolls, provided they used the bigger, bulkier males is another race I've always wanted to join the Horde. Probably doesn't make any sense with the Blood Elves also being Horde, but then Blood Elves shouldn't even be horde side as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by TheDestinatus; 2018-02-03 at 03:30 AM.

The whole conversation regarding the Allied races is far more interesting than I had first considered. The more I think about how out of place the Void, Lightforged, Highmountain, and Nightborne are as being the first choices for newer playable races, the more concerned I am about the development choices and future for the game. It really seems like this particular pre-release content was out of character for Blizzard, simply because it lacks the polish that is normally given to new content. When I think about all four of these races, none of them inspire anything resembling excitement from me. I'm a Lore nerd through and through, and this whole thing seems entirely bizzare to me. The only way I can make sense of it, is if it came from some kind of financial desperation. And FWIW, to all of those who really like the new Allied races, I mean no offense, and you shouldn't concern yourselves with what anyone else thinks if you yourself are enjoying it. I love the story of Warcraft, and even if I prefer certain story lines, or even races, I can always appreciate each faction, race, and part of the story. This really feels like the only time I have been completely uninterested in the latest additions. The Dark Iron Dwarves, and the Zandalari Trolls are races that I am definitely excited about, and that doesn't seem to be by coincidence. It's because they needed time to develop the content to do them justice. They could get away with rushing the lesser established races. I truly believe the pre-release Allied races were chosen simply because the Lore for them is so thin, and they could quickly release them without needing much time to do it. They utilized the already released content and rushed them out to make some easy money, while they continue to develop the new expansion and the two races that the lore nerds will certainly be expecting to see done right.

It's odd that so far ever thing i've read has pointed to void elves being the favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Renuts View Post
    The only way I can make sense of it, is if it came from some kind of financial desperation.
    Well in that case I'm glad they didn't go the route "new in Blizzard's store! allied races only 10$ a pop!" (Civ6 race packs wink wink) WOD only gave people early boost, no content, and people still preordered. Legion gave boost and what was it, 2 weeks extra of demon hunters over non-preorders? You can't really "opt out" of boost or allied race to get expansion cheaper than base price. The expansion is same price as Legion or WOD before discounts (ofc when Legion got older it got discounted). I really don't see how is it a "cash grab" since the only way you don't pay for an expansion in my opinion is that you plan to quit WOW. It's an essential payment if you want to keep playing. You don't gain or lose money by buying it earlier or at launch. The only way you can save money is: take a break from WOW and buy expansion months later when it's already discounted, or put aside those 50$ on a saving account in a bank and get few cents interest rate for the months you delayed. Anyway for me it's a moot point because I'm buying Blizzard stuff with in-game gold and since gold only loses value over time due to inflation, I rather preorder and liquefy some of that gold than sit on it and see it dropping in purchasing power as the time passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    Well in that case I'm glad they didn't go the route "new in Blizzard's store! allied races only 10$ a pop!" (Civ6 race packs wink wink) WOD only gave people early boost, no content, and people still preordered. Legion gave boost and what was it, 2 weeks extra of demon hunters over non-preorders? You can't really "opt out" of boost or allied race to get expansion cheaper than base price. The expansion is same price as Legion or WOD before discounts (ofc when Legion got older it got discounted). I really don't see how is it a "cash grab" since the only way you don't pay for an expansion in my opinion is that you plan to quit WOW. It's an essential payment if you want to keep playing. You don't gain or lose money by buying it earlier or at launch. The only way you can save money is: take a break from WOW and buy expansion months later when it's already discounted, or put aside those 50$ on a saving account in a bank and get few cents interest rate for the months you delayed. Anyway for me it's a moot point because I'm buying Blizzard stuff with in-game gold and since gold only loses value over time due to inflation, I rather preorder and liquefy some of that gold than sit on it and see it dropping in purchasing power as the time passes.
    It's not that I see all Pre-release Content as a "cash grab" per se. I mean... at this point "Pre-release Content/Rewards" have become the gold standard for games, and after the early boosts, and the Demon Hunter Pre-release Content for Legion, I have expected to see some type of Pre-release Content for every subsequent WoW expansion from then on. I have no gripes with that whatsoever.

However, the seemingly rushed execution of the Allied Races suggests to me a few concerning details. The Allied Races have proven to have many significant issues, and appear to not have been adequately polished. The choice of the Allied races seems to have been made out of convenience - even despite the undeniable fact that they are some of the most relevant races in the current Legion story. Consider this, after BfA is released on the live servers - it's not too much of a stretch to assume that very few people will be buying the expansion because they want to play four of the six Allied Races that are no longer as relevant to the story as they were during Legion.

I realize that I am reaching with that example, it's conjecture and I can't say that this is the 100% truth because I simply don't know. But again, I doubt come release day anyone will be all that excited about playing the races who probably wont be nearly as relevant as they were previously. You can argue that this is not a cash grab, but it seems like they are trying their damnedest to capitalize on these four Allied races while they can, and while their story remains relevant. I'm not professing to know everything, however when you couple it with all of the recent actions that Blizzard/Activision is taking, it's not hard to assert that I may be on to something. Of course they have every right to make money and thrive as a company, but I don't have to like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you serious? Me and a few guildies had a discussion about how Void Elves compared to Nightborne have waaaaaaaay more customisation options. Every section Void Elves had Nightborne beat in terms of the amount of options on offer. I don't know but to me and a few guildies, we felt Nightborne got the shit end of the stick.

Deleted
    All of them are low-quality reskins.

Also I find it baffling how something that lasts a good six months of Legion could be considered a BfA feature. For most this “main selling point” will have lost every bit of novelty by September.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I don't know, Void Elves seem pretty damned popular to me.

They also seem to be the Allied race that is the most polished in terms of character customization and animations and art assets.

Nightborne on the other hand... bugged animations, gear looking odd on them, awkward camera angle due to it still being set to the taller Night Elves etc etc.

But alas, your post is just another "Muh High Elves!"-whingefest. You burp about faction identity, yet you want Blood Elves with blue eyes. Screw that.
    Yeah if we look at Nightborne, Highmountain Tauren and Lightforged Draenei, Void Elves got more customization than all other allied races at the moment, which is kinda strange at least for me.

From a lore stand point, I really wish void elves were something else. They not only seem randomly tossed in, but Alleria is already causing problems in her wake. The Sunwell attack should have been enough for everyone else around her to say "Hey maybe not". I would have much rather gotten Krokul over Lightforged as well.

I don't hate the void elves, I'm just not super impressed by them. I'm curious to see how I'll feel after I've spent some real time with one, I'm still trying to decide what to roll >.<
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    Are you serious? Me and a few guildies had a discussion about how Void Elves compared to Nightborne have waaaaaaaay more customisation options. Every section Void Elves had Nightborne beat in terms of the amount of options on offer. I don't know but to me and a few guildies, we felt Nightborne got the shit end of the stick.
    Because you are talking about customization, he is talking about lore.

7+ Year Old Account
    I like Void elves. Amongst the new four available allied races they make most sense for me. At least they had a reason to join the alliance because they got banned from Silvermoon and the Horde. But Lightforged for example are just like "Horde fought with us, died with us, together we defeated the Legion, but fuck Horde and lets join Alliance". Same goes for Nightborne and Highmountain vice versa.

I also would have preferred High Elves over Void Elves, but i'm okay with them. Maybe High Elves just didn't fit in the current story, because they dont need to be recruited first like the other Allied races, and it was all about recruiting "new" Allies for both factions. Still hope we will see them in the future and Blizzard reconsider their thoughts about them being playable, because "High Elves are Blood Elves so they wont be playable" is the most invalid argument ever.

Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    Editing someone's topic/post/comment will not form a discussion of the this now topic. Please read this post without being a editing troll. Thank you.
    The point jellmoo made is very valid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Nightborne.

They just completely and utterly fucked them up.

I’d trade them for Void Elves any day.

Honestly any allied race that just feels like a couple of customization options is really bad news in the long-term.

Void elves and nightborne bring something new to their factions. Lightforged and highmountain tauren are just a few options that once unlocked should be aviable for any draenei or tauren when visiting the barbershop or creating a new one. The same goes for the different Orc, Dwarf or troll clans... or even considering an allied race a fat/thin human.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Void Elves do absolutely nothing for me since they feel forced and have no history in lore
    They have just as much history in lore as all the other allied races..

All allied races require some additional work to be done. Some need less, some need more.

IMHO, Velves and LF spacegoats are the most polished ones. For instance, Velves need to get more faces, I mean face model/geometry options, right now every face uses the same model, and the only difference is textures. I thought Vanilla was supposed to be a separate product

Nightborne on the other hand need much more love from devs. Males are missing certain customisation options, e.g., they don't have beards (those prob would be metallic chin pieces), barber shop shows available earrings option, but it's not usable. Both males and females suffer from one face model curse. Too few skin colour options and so on.

Blizz didn't need to create brand new animations from scratch, thus the most time consuming and expensive part of the race dev process was avoided. So I expected the same level of details as other playable races have now, what I didn't expect is pre-WoD level/quality of customisation.
    Last edited by ls-; 2018-02-03 at 12:22 PM.