Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    just do yourself a favour and stop beating this dead horse

we heared it so many times

we heared it when wildstar was released

we heared it (by asmongold himself) when black desert was released (and he stopped playing it after like what ... 2 weeks ?)

we heared it milion times

and it was never true.
    Black Desert isnt hardcore mmo. Wildstar failed beocuse it was boring game no becouse it was hardcore. And it mostly have nothing to do with game being hardcore. It is mostly about mmorpg being mmorpg. Lot of so called MMORPG games like WoW went from MMO to action RPG with multiplayer element.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    nope, games have tried and generally not lasted when they appeal to only the hard core players. unless a company is willing to accept a small user base and smaller profit of course.
    They are not supostu appela to hardcore player. They are supostu appeal to MMORPG players. WoW currently appeals solo casuals what had never interested in MMO game in first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Staysafe View Post
    Will its success influence future game design? Very likely.
    Sounds like a reciepe for disaster. Let's design games the way we did over 10 years ago.
    I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    RPG's that cost $180 a year plus game/expansion buy-in are, I think, gone.

World of Warcraft isn't the standard; it's a one-time freak of nature with respect to the business it's done. For years everyone has held it up as the bar to get over. It isn't and never was.

No, Classic WoW isn't going to revive the genre for any long period of time. No more than releasing Ultima IV-V-VI would revive anything.
    I pity the mind you inhabit. I agree with Asmongold.
    GM of <Invictus>
    Co-Founder of www.classicwow.live
    Co-Author of the Navak & Egregious 1-60 Horde & Alliance Leveling Guide
    Discord: Egregious#7439
    Twitch
    YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
    Wildstar was made for a demographic that simply no longer exists. The majority of people who "wanted" Wildstar were people who only pretended to have played Vanilla because they thought it was cool.

Also, the game was pretty garbage too, so I'm not sure that helped!
    what exactly was garbage on wildstar? Leveling was fun, I personally found the story more compelling than what wow had for last couple years. Music was nothing short of epic (I still listen to some of the songs occasionally). Combat was fast paced and responsive. I'll admit that the visual style wasn't for everyone, but that's about it. First time i quit was to play wow with irl friends and second time was with the gear and runes revamp they did as the patch gutted my warrior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who is this Asmongo?

Deleted
    What a bullshit. Every MMO not going the hardcore casual way these days died fast as fuck.

100k players that want it that way won't be enough for an MMO. Maybe they haven't recognised that yet.

Deleted
    No they're not, and if they are, there are so few of them that it's not worth the investment to make a game for them.

The market isn't there, and MMOs are expensive.

For the next 10 years League, Dota, (RIP HoN) Overwatch and CSGO will be the big games.

I mean League is already the most played game in the world, that's pretty telling of which direction the multiplayer industry is moving towards.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
    Asmongold and "Neckbeards"/Vanilla fanatics in general vastly overestimate the size of their community.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lKie-vgUGdI

Quote Originally Posted by Projectmars View Post
    Popular twitch streamer. I think he plays a Warrior? Not sure if he does raiding or PvP though.
    He doesn't really raid (legit) anymore. He mainly is just a hardcore collector now. He uses an addon called "All the things" that tracks achieves, mounts, pets, and all the items a character can transmog. He is at 92% completion on his warrior.

Nobody's waiting for new MMOs mate.

The people who no-lifed Vanilla as highschoolers / college kids ... are in their 30s now, and have jobs and kids.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by h4rr0d View Post
    what exactly was garbage on wildstar?
    Well considering it flopped horrendously and went F2P in record time, I'm sure there's a lot of things.

But to quote myself, they tailor made a game to appeal to a market that was a lie. I'm not saying that some people don't want ye olde WoW with 40 man raids and attunements, that much is obvious. But a large portion of those who 'want' it have never actually experienced it first hand and changed their minds when they did, and what was left was simply not enough to sustain the game themselves.

The problem with video games that require long term investments (MMORPGs) is that the audience of those types of games are limited, and usually stick to their product of choice. Nobody who's played WoW for over a decade is going to just abandon it for a new game. And most people who are into these kinds of games already found their game of choice.

I always have to laugh when people who post on MMO fan sites call other people "neckbeards"

ah yes, the not so subtle YouTube channel advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
    Well considering it flopped horrendously and went F2P in record time, I'm sure there's a lot of things.

But to quote myself, they tailor made a game to appeal to a market that was a lie. I'm not saying that some people don't want ye olde WoW with 40 man raids and attunements, that much is obvious. But a large portion of those who 'want' it have never actually experienced it first hand and changed their minds when they did, and what was left was simply not enough to sustain the game themselves.
    I wouldn't call that garbage though, I really had great time playing it and so did plenty of other people. They just tailored it for nonexistent market.

You all should play EVE.

Not sure about a resurgence, some will come back for sure. Not really sure classic, as a retread of vanilla, will do it (a case of been there, done that). There needs to be something new, with old school mechanics. Thats what many of these people want, new content with old mechanics and game structure.

Great.. I'm a neck beard now because you are right. I am dying on the inside because I want a new mmo that's really awesome, yea. pretty much. I hate wow. : /
    But I'm stuck here.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've laughed over all the supposed wow-killers that, at the start seemed like they would be solid titles but always seemed to fall flat. I actually agree with MoanaLisa that WoW was a freak of nature, that shouldn't be the "standard" because WoW became something that blew the standards away. Honestly, if WoW hadn't have became such a monster, the supposed WoW killers would have been vastly more impressive.

I understand developers would love to topple the giant, and they tend to design around big flash to try and do so. Perhaps they should be stepping back a little, and being more realistic with their designs. I think this would lead to not only a better product for the gamers, but a more stable marketing space for other MMO competitors. Essentially they need to reestablish a standard that isn't based around the numbers that WoW has garnered.

And for what my two cents are worth, I don't think we are likely to see another monolith freak of nature MMO like WoW. However, if anything comes close I believe it will be a VR game that truly spans across every gaming platform, without hindering the gaming experience from one platform to another.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Great.. I'm a neck beard now because you are right. I am dying on the inside because I want a new mmo that's really awesome, yea. pretty much. I hate wow. : /
    But I'm stuck here.
    If people would know, what makes awesome MMORPG, someone would already made it. Problem is everyone knows MMORPGs are dying but noone is sure why. Maybe it is problem with players, not games.