10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    Blast builds up as you hit the monster when enough has built up it explodes doing decent damage to the monster.
    Cool. Ok, so, I planned on going for a crit build, Zorah set for bonus status effects, Rathalos chest for exploit weakness and such. However the blast weapons so far have negative affinity. Does anyone know how that works with high affinity builds? Does it just negate it or something else? And if I do go that way, is blast worth it?

Until then I'm feel like farming the Girros Blade greatsword. The affinity plus paralysis looks good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    1. Unless that's explained at a point in the story I haven't made it to yet, then the game doesn't do the first damn thing to explain that to you. Highly annoying to say the least. Thanks for the info.
    As pointed out, the first capture quest you do teaches you how to capture monsters. Although this game seems to like to throw tranq bombs at the ground instead of as a projectile, so I would suggest standing near its head.

. The large weapons just feel extremely unwieldy to me and more often than not, leave me completely exposed. I end up taking way more damage when using one. It's probably just my inexperience with the MH series, but the large weapons do not feel intuitive AT ALL. And most monsters seem far too fast to make such slow ass weapons viable for me. I can't count the number of times I get caught in a constant knocked down/knocked up state because I couldn't dodge or move out of the way fast enough while trying to swing one of the big ass weapons.
    Heavy weapons are definitely more tricky to get down, but it pays off if you can.

For example, with the hammer/hunting horn, if you keep slamming the monsters head, it will get dazed for several moments.
    They tend to work better though if you do have someone to keep the pressure off of you while you charge up your attacks, or if you can get the monster to stand still via pitfall/shock trap, or the various frogs that are sitting around that paralyze/sleep monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    Blast builds up as you hit the monster when enough has built up it explodes doing decent damage to the monster.
    Blast is the best go-to element for monsters that you do not have a weapon with their particular weakness as well.

It's reliable damage, even if it doesn't do as much dmg as you would using the proper element. Also I believe the explosion counts as impact damage so you can break things with it that a normal slicing weapon couldn't.

(It also used to be OP as hell in MH3U. Like seriously, each monster had only one blast debuff so EVERY person hitting them would add to it, so you just saw them explode like crazy over...and over.....)
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

This is my first Monster Hunter game, and I have to say, I can't fucking stand the bigger, slower weapons. To me personally, they seem useless. You move so slow, can't react in time to a lot of the different monsters' movements/attacks, and they just in general seem to kill shit so much slower in my experience. I've had WAY better results with the sword and shield weapon set. Which to me just seems ass backwards. In almost any other game, a sword and shield combo will kill shit a lot slower than a two handed weapon.....but in MHW, I've killed things with a sword and shield in half the time it takes me to kill the same monster with a longsword, hammer, switch axe, etc, etc.

Maybe I'm just doing it all wrong, but the two handed weapons seem to do slower overall damage and leave you far too vulnerable most of the time.
    That's why the game recommends using SnS as a starter weapon, not that SnS can't be an end game weapon as well but just that its much easier for a beginner to get a handle on vs other weapons.

SnS is actually has one of the slower kill times though, here's what speedruns people managed to keep track of during the beta for instance:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunt...olo_speedruns/

There is far more depth to this game and its weapons vs your typical ARPG, you have to learn them. For instance charge blade has some of the fastest kill times but is also one of the hardest weapons to learn.

None of that really matters though, that's the beauty of this game. You actually just play whatever you enjoy the most because the goal is just to kill the monster. I don't enjoy a lot of weapons myself, and that's fine. I'm not at all obligated to play them.

And how in the nine hells do you capture a monster instead of killing it? The game does an absolutely TERRIBLE job of explaining this to you and I haven't managed to figure it out myself yet.
    IIRC the first capture quest the handler tells you word for word how to capture it through VO and popup boxes. She even instructs you on when to do what at the appropriate time.

But its really simple, you get the monster low (safest is when you see it limping back to its nest, then you can trap it while its asleep once it gets there) then you trap it, then you hit it with 2 tranq bombs to the face.

If it limps back to its nest and goes to sleep and you trap + tranqbomb and it doesn't end the quest then it managed to heal enough to bring it above the threshold and you just need to smack it a few times hopefully fast enough so that the stuff doesn't wear off.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    But on an unrelated note, as a person who GREATLY enjoys the Dark Souls games, would people say that Monster Hunter is going to be appealing to me? I've seen a little bit of footage, but haven't delved into the nuance. It LOOKS like the combat is kind of similar, but I'd be interested to know what people think.
    I mean, if you like ARPG's MH is easily one of the best franchises on the market.

There's far more depth and polish in MH than there is in darksouls(I say this as someone who enjoys darksouls and intends to pick up bloodborne now that I own a ps4). You're not spending your time traveling down spooky hallways waiting for something to pop out at you in MH either, you're just fighting big ass monsters.

As far as fashion goes (I know you said it isn't your focus) its entirely on you. You *can* min-max your damage etc or you can just wear whatever looks cool. Unless you're doing speedruns it really doesn't matter. Your skill will make up for any armor deficiencies and you can kill things naked if you're good enough (just like darksouls).

You're not at all forced to play with others, you can play the entire game solo. If anything this specific game seems to be more forgiving of solo play since the monsters apparently scale with # of players instead of the old way where there was a separate solo section for early game and then the "online" section for end game that could still be done solo but the monsters had significantly more health since they intended them to be tackled by groups and didn't scale with # of players.

MH is one of the best series in existence though, can't recommend it enough.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    As far as fashion goes (I know you said it isn't your focus) its entirely on you. You *can* min-max your damage etc or you can just wear whatever looks cool. Unless you're doing speedruns it really doesn't matter. Your skill will make up for any armor deficiencies and you can kill things naked if you're good enough (just like darksouls).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cXT...ature=youtu.be

Exactly!

10c

10+ Year Old Account
    Dunkey gonna be makin a vid soon baaaabbeeee

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    It's less about fashion souls for me, and more about the actual gameplay. The ability for me to master the PVE gameplay mechanics and get rewarded according to my personal skill. I also like how there's equal parts stats and upgrading gear, though. I can challenge the game with my skill, but if it turns out to be a little too frustrating after 10+ tries, I can always go farm up my stats a bit and come back when I'm stronger.

From what I've seen of Monster Hunter, it looks like this should be what I'm after. Skill-based combat with some RPG elements. Lots of mechanics and execution-based gameplay. I'm REALLY hoping there's completely viable solo play, and I'm not forced into a group with other players. That's something I didn't think to check: Is MH an MMO? Or is it a single player RPG? Or maybe multiplayer, but not MMO?
    Sounds like you will enjoy MH, Its a Single Player Action RPG with the ability to Co-Op and the monsters will scale in HP/Damage based on your group size.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    Didnt play Monster Hunter today...i'm afraid to turn on my PS4 and face Nergigante ahah

10+ Year Old Account
    So I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you two, but I feel I should clarify. Monsters do not scale with group size. Monsters have 2 health pools: Solo and Group. The group is higher obviously but a monster has the same amount of health regardless of if you have 2 players or 4.

ROFL! I mean, that's on the same level almost as the guys who beat darksouls 3 without ever leveling up, with no armor, using only a bow, and never gets hit.

Also, great music choices in that video.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Sounds like you will enjoy MH, Its a Single Player Action RPG with the ability to Co-Op and the monsters will scale in HP/Damage based on your group size.
    Sweet! I just know there's many times where a game LOOKS like it'll be a lot of fun for me, but end up being a complete misfire. Vermintide ended up being that for me. I was thinking "YES! FPS + RPG + Warhammer?!" but turned out to be really REALLY bad for me. Monster hunter sounds a bit different, but seems worth a shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    So I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you two, but I feel I should clarify. Monsters do not scale with group size. Monsters have 2 health pools: Solo and Group. The group is higher obviously but a monster has the same amount of health regardless of if you have 2 players or 4.
    For reals? Sounds like I'll be trying to find more players than just my friend.

Oh is that what they did?

I was reading that they handled it by scaling it per person this time around. Guess that was a bit much to believe xD

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    For reals? Sounds like I'll be trying to find more players than just my friend.
    2 players + 2 cats.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Oh is that what they did?

I was reading that they handled it by scaling it per person this time around. Guess that was a bit much to believe xD
    I've also heard on a youtube video that it was like Poppincaps said.

Not only that, if someone joins your hunt and leaves...you are stuck with a Monster with the "Group" Health pool.

You are pretty much focked

1. Unless that's explained at a point in the story I haven't made it to yet, then the game doesn't do the first damn thing to explain that to you. Highly annoying to say the least. Thanks for the info.

2. The large weapons just feel extremely unwieldy to me and more often than not, leave me completely exposed. I end up taking way more damage when using one. It's probably just my inexperience with the MH series, but the large weapons do not feel intuitive AT ALL. And most monsters seem far too fast to make such slow ass weapons viable for me. I can't count the number of times I get caught in a constant knocked down/knocked up state because I couldn't dodge or move out of the way fast enough while trying to swing one of the big ass weapons.
    I'm fond of the faster weapons as well, but everything is viable, just some require more familiarity with MH games and the bosses in general. The easiest large weapon is probably the Great Sword since you can also guard with it. By comparison the Long Sword has its Foresight Slash or w/e that has an iframe and combos directly into the finisher that gives you the next Spirit gauge level. But that of course means you really need to know the bosses patterns ahead of time. And you can make the iframe better by wearing equipment like Evade Extender.

The capturing is explained decently enough in a story mission, but you can buy Trap Tools from the provisioner and make traps and tranq bombs on your own before that as well. Capturing is rewarded because you need more finesse to trap it and tranq.

Also worth noting it's 2.5x health scaling so at 3 people it basically becomes a faster kill. Also if you happen to lose players mid mission you're stuck with MP health regardless of being solo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Capturing is rewarded because you need more finesse to trap it and tranq.
    Capturing is mindless, you basically skip an extra phase of the fight. Maybe your first time figuring out traps and bombs are proximity based could be quirky but after you realize that it's a joke. It's a quicker way to end the mission and the rewards could be worse or the same since there are items you can only get by butchering the monster.

Finally able to get a good chunk of game time in....and I’m stuck at the anjanath....probably tried the mission five times now....I suck and this is getting super frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    Finally able to get a good chunk of game time in....and I’m stuck at the anjanath....probably tried the mission five times now....I suck and this is getting super frustrating.
    That's when you should upgrade your gear, maybe gather supplies (traps, bombs, utility things, so many mega pots), and go at it again!

Or group up with people if you're chill with that.

Tip for people interested.

If you want a endless amount of Mega-Potions than have your botanical garden grow honey (fertilize with the best thing u can) and you buy normal potions from the vendor in the center. It cost 6600 Zen to get 100 normal potions.

You make more than enough research points and zen to keep this going without needing to farm honey or herbs.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2018-02-03 at 11:32 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD