Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I think you're now simply trying to project your wish for playing an actual high elf lorewise, looking for ways to justify it to yourself.

These are not high elves as in the high elves, albeit they are high elves just like all other types of elves from Quel'thalas.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Alleria does just that, despite what she says ingame. Void elves will fall the question is when.

Lothraxion spoke up. "I have known darkness, Alleria. I have seen lost creatures. You are not one of them. You have not crossed the threshold."
    "I will, one day," she said simply.
    That's what happened after she took in the Void, though? She still hoped that she could endure it when she started walking her path instead of "Okay, I will become an insane being sought to consume everything"
    She wanted to stay. She wanted nothing more than to embrace him, renounce the Shadow, and return to the Light. But that was not the path that would protect Azeroth. If it was her fate to fall to darkness, she needed to learn how to endure it.
    <...>
    Alleria closed her eyes and opened her mind. The warnings of Xe'ra echoed through her thoughts. She ignored them. She had long since committed to this path.
    She only hoped she could endure it.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2018-02-03 at 08:48 PM.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Alleria does just that, despite what she says ingame. Void elves will fall the question is when.
    The reason why I don't think they will is the fact that we have playable characters as void elves. This would imply that the playable character would eventually succumb to madness too and we're pretty much sure that'll never happen. NPCs are clearly a possibility and a high one at that.

Alleria might go mad and do some crazy stuff, but she also might not because Blizzard still has an open outcome to write for her. I think that the only point the story you quoted gets across is that she is highly susceptible to going mad, not that she definitely will. She believes she will go mad at one point, she doesn't believe Lothraxion, but that doesn't mean much in the long run.

We also don’t really know how the high elves view the void elves, nor the night elves.

We know how the blood elves view them and why they reject them.

We must bear in mind that both high elves and night elven views would have changed too. DKs and DHs, especially the DHs being a force for good despite their terrible power and inner conflict would have impressed seeing they got the job done of dispatching the Legion when everyone of the elves thought they were working for the Legion. It opens the way for them to accept you can wield dangerous power without becoming corrupt.

The alliance elves issue has mainly being with corruption and abusing power, not necessarily that power is dangerous, or too volatile. After all was the arcane not once like that to the elves before they mastered it? And even those that banned it lifted the ban when itno linger made sense and also accepted those they exiled once it was clear they were no longer corrupt or reckless which was the main issue and always had.

For them, it’s more that you don’t do what is evil with your power than using dangerous magic. Maybe once, pre TBC both really mattered but the latter far less so after both elven groups have been pushed to the limit and experienced hero classes that wield dangerous magic for good.

I’m not claiming that all elves would accept the een’dorei. However I don’t feel they would have a problem with them as long as they use their power to do good

It’s morality that binds the alliance elves, not timidity to use dangerous magic, at least not anymore. They would have learned and are shownto adapt. And the use of the void has been shown to be born out of a desire to do good and help so fitting the alliance theme unlike the feeding on living thigs not to help save the world or defend others but to satisfy a craving.

However I do feel whiles the high elves would still not agree with what the blood elves did even now, they can move past it because the blood elves have shown themselves to have recovered their morality somewhat and those days were dark, deaperate things done, mistakes weee made. The problem now and harder to get past would be the blood they have shed in the name of their factions. Suramar was a first step. When they all worked together. I am a bit sad to see they would be killing each other again soon rather than mending fences

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    The reason why I don't think they will is the fact that we have playable characters as void elves. This would imply that the playable character would eventually succumb to madness too and we're pretty much sure that'll never happen. NPCs are clearly a possibility and a high one at that.
    That is the thing though they have hundreds of years of leeway, the player could be very resilient they could resist throughout the lifetime of wow without any problems, but if the story is continued throughout other installments, they could easily receive the diablo protagonist treatment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    That's what happened after she took in the Void, though? She still hoped that she could endure it when she started walking her path instead of "Okay, I will become an insane being sought to consume everything"
    Well you do have a point, there yet is not really one in the favor of the void elves, quite the opposite actually, because the void is just that dangerous and the moment they actually become void elves they realize their folly, like umbric.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    High Elves, a group that left Quel'Thalas because of they didnt want to feed on animals are now eagerly and on mass apparently, interested in the Void.

None of this is good storytelling in the slightest.
    Indeed, but they are sparkly and that is what matters for the vast majority of people.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    All of this is absolutely irrelevant when it comes to judge the High Elf's moral consistency. These guys have chosen exile from the only home they had for way less than dabbling with the most dangerous power in the universe. That's either inconsistency or naked hypocrisy.
    Elves are know for their hypocrisy, actually i call this consistency in their lore.

they bitching about sucking mana from animals because for they is disgusting like eating bad and raw meat, but for they, tapping the void is not, i can totally see this shit
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2018-02-03 at 09:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Meme race is a meme. There is no background lore you can extract like you can with Worgen or Nightborne.
    There's not really much you need for them. It's kind of refreshing to have a race which is an example of 'what you see is what you get,' because it gives the player more opportunity to decide what motivates their character and what drew them to embracing the Void as a source of power.

edit: Also, hypocrisy is kind of the elves' thing as a whole. You show me an elven offshoot, I'll show you the dozens of things they've done that reek of hypocrisy. Blizzard takes special joy in playing with the ideas of holier-than-thou and wiser-than-thou elves who tend to just be jackasses who are full of themselves.
    Last edited by Thage; 2018-02-03 at 09:13 PM.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Elves are know for their hypocrisy, actually i call this consistency in their lore.

they bitching about sucking mana from animals because for they is disgusting like eating bad and raw meat, but for they, tapping the void is not, i can totally see this shit
    No wonder why the percentage of WoW race population are Elves. Talk about correlation in action. I bet it also applies here in the forum

Role player's character projection at it's best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post

Well, once is put in that way you could even have a point. In fact it may finally confirm once and for all that nothing but petty pride prevented High Elves to "lower" themselves to feed on critters after millennia used to sustain their addiction with nothing but their shiny font of power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

The Void Elves should never have been Blood Elves in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    High Elves, a group that left Quel'Thalas because of they didnt want to feed on animals are now eagerly and on mass apparently, interested in the Void.

None of this is good storytelling in the slightest.
    Maybe the few remaining Alliance orientated High Elves are fed up with their lot?

They took a moral stance and what has it gotten them after all?

They got kicked out of their homeland. They now reside in exile among people who now must on some level distrust them due to Quel'thalas joining the Horde. Their estranged cousins have also joined the Alliance, and let everyone in the Alliance know exactly what the Elves were doing that got them exiled from Night Elves society in the first place.

The only real place they've been able to congregate has been Dalaran where they've functioned as a paramilitary force the Kirin Tor.

Maybe a decade has worn away their scruples to the point that when something new appears, they are finally willing to give it a go?

But it is clear the door is open. You can roleplay as a High Elf who left Silvermoon in exile years ago, and who has decided that a moral stance has got them squat. They therefore turn to the void.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    Maybe a decade has worn away their scruples to the point that when something new appears, they are finally willing to give it a go?
    But why? Which is their motivation? How the Void, of all fucking things, should improve their existences? These guys literally look like a bunch of kids who want to try the same shit the cool elves tried to be cool like them. It's hysterical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, once is put in that way you could even have a point. In fact it may finally confirm once and for all that nothing but petty pride prevented High Elves to "lower" themselves to feed on critters after millennia used to sustain their addiction with nothing but their shiny font of power.
    you take the words from my mouth, this was what i actually tried to say, to me they always refuse to feed on animals because it means they are lowering themselves, doing something so "disgusting" is not good for their pride, they want to be the elitist only feeding on great sources of power, not like the petty elves doing anything desperate to survive, they are not like this, they are better

...then a old hero of then come, saying the void is good and delicious, a source of magic so powerful and infinite, a power that the hateful blood elves rejected and feared, of course they would want learn and use that shit

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    But why? Which is their motivation? How the Void, of all fucking things, should improve their existences? These guys literally look like a bunch of kids who want to try the same shit the cool elves tried to be cool like them. It's hysterical.
    The whispers of blizzards bad writing finally driven them mad.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the excuses they use as to why High Elves can't be a race are complete bullshit then?

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    The first void elves, and the void elf leadership were former blood elves -but the rest? The new ones we roll? Are they? It is looking like they might not necessarily be.
    Yes they are. The event that gave them their odd skin-colour happened during the unlock quest. The only High Elf present at that time was Alleria.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    So the excuses they use as to why High Elves can't be a race are complete bullshit then?
    No it was all overcomplicated. That's what people do on this topic.

The reason High Elves can't be a race is that they already are a race, simply called the Blood Elves, playable on the Horde.

Everything else that has built up on this topic over the years was really delving far too deeply into a topic when that was the only answered required. Point invited counterpart for years on end.

But, it has changed. The new rationale is

The reason High Elves can't be a race is that they already are a race, simply called the Blood Elves, playable on the Horde. But if you wish to remain Alliance, there is now an Allied Race variant called Void Elves you now play.

- - - Updated - - -

Beats me as to the why.

But all those years all those pro High Elfers insisted that Blizzard could give them High Elfs that would be different from the Horde and they would be happy...well here we are. They got exactly what they wanted.

Also on a separate matter I can't address in the original thread now that the thread is closed...yes the PM I received was from who you think it was .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    Yes, it is, which makes it "just another energy".
    It's not "just another energy", it's an energy that feeds on existence itself.

The High Elves exiled themselves because they refused to practice "vampiric" magic siphoning, and yet they siphon and embrace the most vampiric energy of them all, the Void. There is no other name than hypocrisy.

10+ Year Old Account
    High Elves can't recover from the clusterfuck that is their lore & characters honestly, at this point dying at Teldrassil like some 'speculate' would be best. They pulled some void shit out of Alleria's ass for some reason and the High Elves that demed sustaining themselves through critters as being too bad, instead start eating the most unstable and maddening energy in the universe.

...Ok