Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I wish America joined the rest of the developed world in implementing universal free healthcare. Come on, that's should be one issue that everyone agrees on. But some folks are greedy and stupid.
    It is less 'greedy and stupid' and more that the US already rather effectively subsidizes much of the world medical costs. Not to say that there aren't blatant acts of greed, just that it is so much more complex than you put it.
    Unreason and anti-intellectualism abominate thought. Thinking implies disagreement; and disagreement implies nonconformity; and nonconformity implies heresy; and heresy implies disloyalty — so, obviously, thinking must be stopped. But shouting is not a substitute for thinking and reason is not the subversion but the salvation of freedom. - Adlai Stevenson

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyorkbourne View Post
    Go on then. Communism failed and capitalism is flawned. Tell me what's next in line when we evolve beyond our stream engine level economics. Enlighten me, oh 'woke' one.

- - - Updated - - -

People in Brazil care quite a bit about money, same as everywhere else. They just don't have much of it.
    Why not just develop an entirely new system of government for a society that rewards positive human virtues? Things don't always have to be communism vs capitalism. One system values collectivism and one values individualism. There are tons of virtues that make up human beings. Why not experiment with basing a society or economic system to reward other things like trust, honesty, happiness, ambition, sharing, minimalism, frugality, self sufficiency, etc. I tend to think of populating space and planets where there will be an unlimited options of what to base a society and economic system upon. 2 dimensional thinking of capitalism vs communism is, I hope, approaching an end.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Another thread full of anti-market bias, color me shocked.
    sorry for valuing people over money

Quote Originally Posted by Nalorakk View Post

It really is amusing seeing an caps pretend like they actually care about such silly things as “feelings”.

Deleted
    Well, they don't in most of the Western world. Except the US. So there's that. It starts at the ground level with the voters...

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post

"What is basic economics of supply and demand"

I'll take things you should have learned about in high school for 400 Alex.

Bzzt.

/10char

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalorakk View Post
    I know right. How dare human life have value of green bits of cloth!
    Last edited by nanook12; 2018-02-03 at 10:19 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    Well, they don't in most of the Western world. Except the US. So there's that. It starts at the ground level with the voters...
    Bullshit, in Europe its exactly the same. Money over people. Its one of the main reasons goverments desperately keep incrementing the population while we are already drowning in people in north western countries.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    They don’t though? look at what props up either party in thier base’s eyes.
    Policy. Trump's campaign message was crystal clear, make the country more business-friendly by lowering the corporate tax rate and deregulating industry. He then preceded with carrying out exactly what he said he would.

On the flip side Democrats are wishy washy. Their message is based on dissatisfaction with markets and business, while simultaneously not having much resolve for the underlying principles. That's a recipe for ever bigger Bernie-style revolts.

Cause I’m an affluent white male and don’t give a shit one way or the other for social issues. Whether gays have rights or their taken away, don’t care. Whether women get abortions or not , don’t care. Poor people being exploited or helped ? Don’t care. I care about my family and friends and how much money I can make to live comfortably.

Unfortunately for you, my ilk still run the country/world. Don’t worry, minorities are rapidly outpacing white rich males so your day is coming when can run the world of feels instead of common sense.
    Last edited by Kapadons; 2018-02-04 at 01:38 AM.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Universal healthcare, paid college tuition, UBI, etc. In the political arena it seems that economic issues always take precedents over social issues. Why is that?
    Because you can't eat "care". "Care" is free, the cost of literally, physically living, is not.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Universal healthcare, paid college tuition, UBI, etc. In the political arena it seems that economic issues always take precedents over social issues. Why is that?
    Because you need money to pay for it and with all the current 'social' programs we have there isn't any money left in the pot for any of that shit. Also because those programs are horseshit. You don't even need a degree to get a decent paying job and you can have good insurance. There are plenty of companies with their own internal schools you could go to instead of some university so you can get a degree in basket weaving. The government needs to stop loaning for degrees that don't have any return on investment. That would be a great start.

Additionally if you really want bernie's college tuition bill you can pay for it by not supporting illegal aliens. That would free up 115 billion per year to pay for your school instead. Just think about it instead of keeping people that pay 18 billion in taxes but come with a larger burden. The cost isn't worth the vote.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2018-02-03 at 10:50 PM.

because bleeding hearts don't pay the bills.

Pretty much the main fault line in the liberals beliefs. Millions of great ideas with millions of signatures, cant pay for any of it.

Rich people are FAR more likely to vote than poor people. Maybe 50% of the poor vote. About 75% of the middle class votes. About 90% of the rich vote. People that are married are more likely to vote. People who are responsible are more likely to vote. These groups are more likely to make economic issues a priority.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Real and visceral tends to be more important than the abstract and ephemeral in the long calculation. All the wokening in the world won't keep you warm or fed.

because social issues do not cover all your other issues....money does. And why share it with other people??!?!?! ( i do not agree with this btw).

But i also think its a more ( not exclusive) american model. If you look at the EU . There are several country's that have social or part social constructs like that.
    I just think Americans here...money away from me...nope. and walk away. Not seeing what it cost them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I wish America joined the rest of the developed world in implementing universal free healthcare. Come on, that's should be one issue that everyone agrees on. But some folks are greedy and stupid.
    I Agree too bad tho the poor will get poorer due to the tax.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because you cant eat your values and virtues.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I doubt you make very many people happy, because not many would want to spend time with someone that advocates being a selfish person as a "good" thing.
    Rational self-interest is a good thing. What is perverted is altruism as a virtue, which is nonsense passed down by certain religions. It's like the Christian saying of "turn the other cheek", it's an irrational idea that doesn't actually make the world a better place. It just means you keep getting hit.
    Last edited by PC2; 2018-02-04 at 01:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Social Issues care about Economics, but Economics does not care about Social Issues at all.

Also, Economics is always inherently unbalanced. There has to be losers if there are to be winners.