Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    It probably would do most Republicans (and really, politicians in general) if they could run their stupidity through a 3rd-party filter first.
    Most do most of the time, right? Ryan just fucked up and actually said what he was thinking without it coming through a PR agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    We all laugh and point at Pence for the weird way he deals with women who aren't his wife, but really it's not a bad strategy.
    In the #MeToo era, the Pence strategy there looks incredibly not stupid. I still think he's a weirdo, but if you're currently in a position of power, there's certainly some upside to having an almost perfect alibi for accusations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    It's fun. And by "fun", I mean I dare all of them to do it without going crazy.

Its rather sad how easy it'd be for politicians here(Netherlands), to live on the mean average vs US politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    Did you even look at the tweet? Ryan specifically was referring to the lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    This is a flat out lie.
    Here is what the OP said in post 1 of this thread:

Ryan highlighted Ketchum’s story in a tweet Saturday that was later deleted.

So he deleted his tweet that was so stupid, and now you are trying to cover for him by just plain lieing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabray View Post
    Seriously, the fuck are you talking about? His tweet was about the lady, the picture is right in the article. That's why he deleted it. You can say it was a mistake, but to say he didn't even tweet it at all is flabbergasting.
    The only twitter account for Paul Ryan I was aware of is his official @SpeakerRyan account, but I suppose the article is talking about what looks like his personal twitter account. Honestly, many of the things on the @PRyan account sound so stupid that it might make somebody think that its a parody account. If he is the one really writing the tweets on this account, then he should probably get somebody else to write them for him.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    I'm not a fan of Paul Rino, but any amount of money given back to hard working people from the government should be seen as a positive.
    Hey says, while fanboying for politicians that all support policies that harm the worker class.

Is that his real account or is it a fake that people fell for?

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It's his real verified account. He deleted the tweet after he was made aware of how idiotic it was.

Knowledge
    It was a rather foolish tweet.

Peace

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    While for some people it might not be crumbs in each of their paycheck

its yet another comment taken out of context just like "2500 savings" and "pass to read it".

its CRUMBS vs the amount CORPORATIONS are saving.

its CRUMBS the number of companies giving bonuses/raises vs NOT

its Crumbs that will have to be paid back in 10 years and as soon as this year when Republicans try to figure out how to pay for the tax plan.

etc etc etc

But republicans do what they do best. Take a saying and mash it over and over and over.....no matter what it really means
    Right.

The root of the issue is the divergence of the top income earners, and the median income.

Take a gander at the graph;

Prior to 1980, wages and productivity were fairly related; as productivity climbed, employees earned better wages and society's wealth improved overall. This is what brought us from the Great Depression era into the modern economy. Then, a bunch of things changed in the late '70s to 1980, and the pattern markedly shifts. Wages generally stagnate. Productivity continues to climb, if anything, it further improves. The nation is getting wealthier, more productive, but to the average citizen, that doesn't matter, because they don't gain anything from the improvement of their own productivity. Not anything close to proportional to the increase, at least. The lion's share of who gets that benefit is the wealthy, those who own the companies.

I don't care where you fall on the political scale, this should be untenable. It's a clear demonstration that workers have systematically been divorced from enjoying the increasing prosperity of the nation. The rich get richer, everyone else just keeps on keeping on.

If we'd kept following the patterns set in the 50s to the 80s, workers should be making at least 60% more than they currently are, pretty much across the board. Instead, corporations figured out how to shaft their workers and take that increased productivity entirely for the owners, not those who actually produced that wealth for them.

She gets 1.50 a week. The koches get 20 million a week. That's what we're gutting our country for. GOP kleptocracy working as intended.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    That extra 1.50 per paycheck averages out to about an additional 78 dollars a year. Now, for people living paycheck to paycheck every bit counts, but it's absolutely pathetic.

Maybe the GOP could have put more effort into drafting a tax bill that actually benefited the average American in the long term rather than ramming through a gift to their donors in less than a month.

This is one of those things that low wage Trump supporters won't be able to ignore. They see what their paychecks are. They know how hard it is living month to month. Of course, some will get more than this particular woman. But, some will end up getting less. Especially if you consider what else they'll lose or pay more for like healthcare.

Only question is, how many of those supporters will rightly blame the GOP and Trump? Not all will, but I have to imagine it will cause some to either not vote or switch to dems/something else.

And Ayn Rand rose up and said "Tho shall have a $1.50 week raise!"
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    This is one of those things that low wage Trump supporters won't be able to ignore. They see what their paychecks are. They know how hard it is living month to month. Of course, some will get more than this particular woman. But, some will end up getting less. Especially if you consider what else they'll lose or pay more for like healthcare.

Only question is, how many of those supporters will rightly blame the GOP and Trump? Not all will, but I have to imagine it will cause some to either not vote or switch to dems/something else.
    You are in for surprise. Their hatred of all things "libural" is stronger than reality of their miserable life. They are good at ignoring the view from their "country" home

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Hey says, while fanboying for politicians that all support policies that harm the worker class.
    Except the fact that the GOP policies have been helping the middle class.

I remember when I was in college sitting around the keg and dreaming of the day I can give the American worker a $1.50/week raise.

-Paul Ryan
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    a whole $1.50 per day? wow.

if he save it for 4 days, he will be able to afford a big mac meal with the savings. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    a whole $1.50 per day? wow.
    $1.50 per day would be a vaguely decent raise. This is $1.50 per WEEK.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    my bad, that's 1 free big mac meal a month.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Actually, I take back what I said about "vaguely decent." I did the math and it's better than $1.50 per week, but still crap.

Giving $1000 bonuses on top of an already increased take home pay doesn't seem like crumbs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    Except the fact that the GOP policies have been helping the middle class.
    Citation needed.

The only people GOP policies are ever meant to help are their rich donors and corporate owners.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Giving $1000 bonuses on top of an already increased take home pay doesn't seem like crumbs.
    It's an extra 78 dollars a year. And what those stories about 'OMG 1000 dollar bonuses!' leaves out is that those bonuses are only for long-time employees. Lowes, for example, is giving 1000 dollars bonuses only to full timers who have worked there for over twenty years. Part timers get 500.