High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Computer issues after a "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

Hi guys.

This past days, i was playing Overwatch when suddenly my game frozed and then just went black screen, after a little bit, game closed, and windows gave me the message ""Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" ", and i had to restart because my games weren't starting.

While my Computer was restarting, in the windows logo, just after the ASUS bios screen showed, the PC just crashed, just after all the little circles from the windows animation collaped to form the win logo, and then i got a blue screen, and a auto restart, after that i couldnt log into windows, every single time, my pc was just crashing in the same place, tried safe mode, and i was able to get into windows.

So after realizing something was bad my computer i did the following things in order to fix the problem:

1.- updated drivers to the latest version
    2.- Uninstalled the drivers, cleared the drivers with driver sweep, and reinstalled
    3.- Uninstalled, used old drivers(who used to work)
    4-. I tested my RAM with the windows tool(nothing wrong founded)
    5.- Reinstalled windows(using win 7)
    6.- Reset Bios to defaults

and after all this, still crashing at windows logo when using drivers, when im not using drivers at all, and i let windows go with the Standar VGA i can get into windows with no problem, on Normal or Safe mode. But as soon i install and try to get into windows with drivers installed, i just cant, my Video card works, without drivers, so at this point, i have no clue what is going on. Looking for advices, helps, or tips.

MY pc Specs are:

intel i-core 5 2550
    ASUS G-force 770
    8gb RAM
    800 Watts PSU
    256gb Samsung SSD

15+ Year Old Account
    When a graphics card reacts in the manner you're describing and the use of Display Driver Uninstaller (found on Guru3d.com) no longer helps...

Sorry to say but it generally means a dead GPU which falls back to failsafe loading from it's own BIOS.
    When it hits that you generally are screwed and can only replace the card (RMA or otherwise)
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Washuwa View Post
    Hi guys.

This past days, i was playing Overwatch when suddenly my game frozed and then just went black screen, after a little bit, game closed, and windows gave me the message ""Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" ", and i had to restart because my games weren't starting.

While my Computer was restarting, in the windows logo, just after the ASUS bios screen showed, the PC just crashed, just after all the little circles from the windows animation collaped to form the win logo, and then i got a blue screen, and a auto restart, after that i couldnt log into windows, every single time, my pc was just crashing in the same place, tried safe mode, and i was able to get into windows.

So after realizing something was bad my computer i did the following things in order to fix the problem:

1.- updated drivers to the latest version
    2.- Uninstalled the drivers, cleared the drivers with driver sweep, and reinstalled
    3.- Uninstalled, used old drivers(who used to work)
    4-. I tested my RAM with the windows tool(nothing wrong founded)
    5.- Reinstalled windows(using win 7)
    6.- Reset Bios to defaults

and after all this, still crashing at windows logo when using drivers, when im not using drivers at all, and i let windows go with the Standar VGA i can get into windows with no problem, on Normal or Safe mode. But as soon i install and try to get into windows with drivers installed, i just cant, my Video card works, without drivers, so at this point, i have no clue what is going on. Looking for advices, helps, or tips.

MY pc Specs are:

intel i-core 5 2550
    ASUS G-force 770
    8gb RAM
    800 Watts PSU
    256gb Samsung SSD
    Just to be clear, you load into safe mode, delete drivers for 770 and then you CAN load into normal windows?
    PM me weird stuff :3

15+ Year Old Account
    If you've exhausted all the options BTW and the only thing left is RMAing it you could potentially try to re-flash the same VBIOS to it.
    nVidia's cards have a tendency to corrupt the BIOS for some reason.

It is a risk that if you tell your manufacturer (in this case ASUS .. IF you still have warranty, which I doubt) that it'll void the remaining warranty.
    So don't tell them.

But hey... worth a risk if you can't do anything else:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...emSize=&since=

Pick the one that's yours, specifically the same version of the BIOS you have now.
    Use GPU-Z to find out which one you have.

Remember: Only do this if you have no choice!
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    Just to be clear, you load into safe mode, delete drivers for 770 and then you CAN load into normal windows?
    Yes sir, i can't use my GPU with the drivers installed. If works, and i mean works because im using the GPU right now, just with the Standard VGA driver windows install. I can use 1920x1080 resolutions, but as soon i install the GPU drivers it just crash at win 7 logo, just before botting into windons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    If you've exhausted all the options BTW and the only thing left is RMAing it you could potentially try to re-flash the same VBIOS to it.
    nVidia's cards have a tendency to corrupt the BIOS for some reason.

It is a risk that if you tell your manufacturer (in this case ASUS .. IF you still have warranty, which I doubt) that it'll void the remaining warranty.
    So don't tell them.

But hey... worth a risk if you can't do anything else:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...emSize=&since=

Pick the one that's yours, specifically the same version of the BIOS you have now.
    Use GPU-Z to find out which one you have.

Remember: Only do this if you have no choice!
    I read about that, been the very last option left, and im gonna do it, i just want to try everything before doing that.

15+ Year Old Account
    I read about that, been the very last option left, and im gonna do it, i just want to try everything before doing that.
    Sounds to me, like I've stated above, you've already tried everything.
    The only other thing you can try is borrowing a friend's PC and try installing it in his machine (removing his/her GFX first of course).

If that causes the identical issue (which I think it will considering my experiences) ... the only thing left to do is as described above.

Try the identical vBIOS from that site that belongs to your card, flash it, try it.

10+ Year Old Account
    ""Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"
    along with bsod.

Had this happen recently with my gpu.
    It was kaputt and had to buy a new one.
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long

Yes sir, i can't use my GPU with the drivers installed. If works, and i mean works because im using the GPU right now, just with the Standard VGA driver windows install. I can use 1920x1080 resolutions, but as soon i install the GPU drivers it just crash at win 7 logo, just before botting into windons.

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw a YouTube vid a couple days ago with a similar issue, flashing the bios of the card fixed it, but ofc ymmv, but as a last ditch effort worth trying.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Just saw a YouTube vid a couple days ago with a similar issue, flashing the bios of the card fixed it, but ofc ymmv, but as a last ditch effort worth trying.
    Really? Who did it? I've rarely ever seen anyone even mention it let alone try it.
    Not one of the more common solutions as people generally think it's impossible or don't even know (even the techies) that graphics cards (and more devices) have actual BIOSes as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh God... not that guy -.-
    I've checked the movie and I'm honestly still of the opinion the guy is as dumb as bricks most of the time.

I cannot believe he managed to think of this one... I'm calling it a fluke, nothing short of because I honestly want to refuse to believe he could produce anything remotely good when it comes to actual tech support/knowledge that isn't superficial.

I've checked the movie and I'm honestly still of the opinion the guy is as dumb as bricks most of the time.

I cannot believe he managed to think of this one... I'm calling it a fluke, nothing short of because I honestly want to refuse to believe he could produce anything remotely good when it comes to actual tech support/knowledge that isn't superficial.
    it's something I turn on while playing wow to keep me a bit updated on tech stuff and build idea's, he's less annoying then Linus though I prefer gaming nexus and hardware canucks.

15+ Year Old Account
    it's something I turn on while playing wow to keep me a bit updated on tech stuff and build idea's, he's less annoying then Linus though I prefer gaming nexus and hardware canucks.
    See ... I never had issues with Hardware Canucks and in general liked them.
    Until the point where they awarded the "Best Value for Money" of 2017 to an Intel Core i3-7350K.

From that point my brain went full-on twitch mode in a bad way, much like their Cooler Master H500p review.

See ... I never had issues with Hardware Canucks and in general liked them.
    Until the point where they awarded the "Best Value for Money" of 2017 to an Intel Core i3-7350K.

From that point my brain went full-on twitch mode in a bad way, much like their Cooler Master H500p review.
    I mostly watch their case reviews, gives me at least a sense of what to expect, don't always agree with them, but they all have their specialities and access to certain hardware, and it helps as a distraction while doing boring stuff in wow

Even more off topic, going to do a rebuilt of my pc in a new case, going from the define R5 to the R6 and going to use the R5 for my dad's machine who's case is like 10 years old hopefully I'll get some pics for the post your pc thread.

Hardware Canucks pushes coolermaster stuff WAY too much IMO. Don't get me wrong - they make good stuff but their mastercase modular series was full of empty promises year after year. HC sings their praises way too much and comes off as a paid spokesman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Could you try to run a benchmark while using standard vga driver? to see if putting any load on GPU crashes it.
    Also have you tried older versions of GPU drivers?
    PM me weird stuff :3

10+ Year Old Account

Entertainment value! He is somewhat humorous unlike Linus as @Denpepe mentioned who is the Amaz of youtube tech.
    Last edited by Twoddle; 2018-02-05 at 05:28 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So I just had this exact same thing start happening to me.. Also on a 780 that has never shown issues before until the last couple of days.

What the hell.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry to revive this post, i was on a trip and couldnt keep posting, so, i tested my video card in a friend's system, and it worked.... so atm im trying to figure out if its the Power Supply that is not been able to provide with enough power(its a 800w PS) or its just the motherboard. thoughts?
    Last edited by Washuwa; 2018-03-15 at 10:52 PM.