Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Speculation on the Boy King and the 3 lies.

Mod Edit: It's fine to post a lore-related video, but preferentially you want to add a text description of it along with a thesis statement of what you're trying to present. In this case, the whispers of Il'gynoth regarding the "boy king" and the three lies he "offers."
    Last edited by Aucald; 2018-02-06 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Embedded video for clarity.

The son of Moira isn't king yet, plus if we're to ignore that nothing the old gods or minions say is truthful then we know the first lie has been told.

Speculation could be anything. Hell it could be something that happened prior to EN, like maybe Anduin actually ordered the attack on the Forsaken in stormheim but through Genn had the player informed that he just ordered observation.

My speculation is that the 3 lies are a Red Herring because the Old Gods knew we'd call Anduin the boy-king and wanted to stir distrust.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
    Took me a while to figure this out. But yea its not Anduin or Wraithion. Think long and hard who else is a boy king? There is just a council of 3 hammers . Magni isn't king no more. Boy king can refer to Moria's son. He's the rightful heir hence boy king. Also the darkirons have succumb to the voice of the old gods before. Sits and the masters table . The child looks innocent and no one would expect that.

3 lies will be told. But no were does it say everyone can see it. I believe only shadowpriests can see it. Xalatath talks alot and is often chatty. I believe some of the stuff she says is key .

Why delay darkiron dwarves unless the questing involved has to do with exposing the boy king and what happens next. We know Xalatath talks about the old gods but not as there servant but as there equal. After watching Pyromancer and Accolonn 's videos on youtube speculation. Things started sticking out . Xalatath seems similar to that of what happened with Nerzuhl in a way. She was bound or at least part of her was bound to the blade. I believe that child in ironforge is gonna be involved in some questing soon. This is pure speculation but after talking with so many and viewing stuff on youtube it sorta make sense. No one would expect that child. =P
    So basically you watched Pyromancer's video and decided to pawn it off like you came up with this as an original thought? Pathetic attempt kid.

For those who haven't seen the video yet:

https://youtu.be/1mMd0xvHEFQ
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Didn;t happen to see that video. =P

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    These days I'm more convinced that only one or none of what Illgynoth says will come to pass since it "sees all as truth," and all that.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yea I bet. You just come up with the exact same idea that he has, when speculation has been going on forever
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

10+ Year Old Account
    When did Old Gods turn into some ARG? lol.

I mean it's super fun people are speculating, people did that a lot in vanilla WoW. But all the hype people are giving themselves with all the speculation you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Just putting it out there as a warning :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2018-02-06 at 05:26 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by TyrannicalPuppy View Post
    My speculation is that the 3 lies are a Red Herring because the Old Gods knew we'd call Anduin the boy-king and wanted to stir distrust.
    Let's not be stupid. I think the true issue here is that people are expecting too much out of these whispers. Anduin is the Boy-King, because the person writing these whispers wants the person involved to be identifiable.

One of three lies has already been told. Now, you think that just because it's in an Old God whisper that this first lie must be something horrific that would jump out at you as an intentional dishonesty. That's the issue here. What if the lie is something you only recognize as a lie in hindsight? Nothing malicious, either.

What Anduin has talked about lately, the main subject of all he's been involved in, has been about what it means to be King and the responsibilities of that role. This is where the lie would be. He has a fundamental misunderstanding of what it means to be King.

Hell, you can even see it in the new cinematic with his new armor set, where his face is concealed by a Lion mask of the Alliance. He is quite literally putting the Alliance over his own identity and beliefs, reflecting how he says there is nothing more important than the Alliance. It's a noble and harmless sounding enough sentiment.

It's also what Durotan believed as he did nothing to stop the progressing corruption of the people. The principles of the Clan Chieftain were less important than the survival of the Clan. Yet if he had chosen to act on his beliefs sooner, he could have turned the tide and saved them all. He could have saved his world. He failed because of a lie about what it meant to be ruler. A lie he believed.

This is the first lie. Bound by a throne? No. Boundless. Free.

Anduin is going to do what he believes he has to do, only to realize too late that there had been another way all along. Just as Durotan came to realize in Rise of the Horde. He had blinded himself to how open his options truly were, out of his misguided sense of responsibility.

How's that for a first lie? Not spooky enough for you? Not backstabby enough for you? Not shocking enough?

None of that matters. This is what Anduin's been saying. His character arc in BFA is clearly being set up to start at this point. What it means to be King. That's where the lie is. You may notice Christine Golden is now an official writer for Blizzard, and this is very much a theme she's explored before.

Durotan's efforts to protect his clan led him to serve the Legion's cause, whether or not he truly wished to. Anduin serves at the Master's table because he shares this mindset. He will do what the Master desires, whether he realizes it or not.
    Last edited by KrakHed; 2018-02-06 at 06:45 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    The "boy king" referenced by Il'gynoth is most certainly Anduin. When it comes into play, I can -almost- guarantee the last arc of BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by SHUMEGGAH View Post
    The "boy king" referenced by Il'gynoth is most certainly Anduin. When it comes into play, I can -almost- guarantee the last arc of BfA.
    I think it's going to come into play throughout all of BFA. Beginning, end, and middle. However, it might not be in a form you'll recognize until the end.

The first lie is that the throne binds him to make certain decisions. A subtle misunderstanding of the responsibilities of rulership. This is the start of BfA.

The second lie will likely take place in the middle of the story. A consequence of accepting the first lie as true, he will likely come to a conclusion as to something that must be done in order to end the war once and for all. An idea born of compromised ideals and false necessity. In doing so, he'll play into N'Zoth's hands.

The final lie will be just as he makes a truly disastrous decision, and only afterward will he come to realize the truth in his role in bringing the Old Gods' plans to fruition. But perhaps perhaps he'll still be able to turn back and fix his mistakes.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    I think it's going to come into play throughout all of BFA. Beginning, end, and middle. However, it might not be in a form you'll recognize until the end.

The first lie is that the throne binds him to make certain decisions. A subtle misunderstanding of the responsibilities of rulership. This is the start of BfA.

The second lie will likely take place in the middle of the story. A consequence of accepting the first lie as true, he will likely come to a conclusion as to something that must be done in order to end the war once and for all. An idea born of compromised ideals and false necessity. In doing so, he'll play into N'Zoth's hands.

The final lie will be just as he makes a truly disastrous decision, and only afterward will he come to realize the truth in his role in bringing the Old Gods' plans to fruition. But perhaps perhaps he'll still be able to turn back and fix his mistakes.
    Boy king speculations:

Moira's son
    Anduin
    Wrathion (my choice)

Not exactly the topic but related to point out how these things could have very different meanings

The King of Diamonds in cartomancy could be Gallywix: http://latin.cards/cartomancy/king-diamonds.html

Description : King of diamonds

The King of diamonds refers to a rich man who could play a part in the consultant’s everyday-life. In cartomancy, this card shows the power of wealthy individuals in our society.

By representing a mature man, the King of diamonds presents a respected man who could use his power to improve the consultant’s life.

Interpretation
    The consultant
    You are about to meet a rich influent man who will help you in your daily life. Nevertheless, you will have to think about the legitimacy of his intervention, as he could also use his power to harm you. You have to be sure of his benevolence before trusting him. In your professional sphere, the King of diamonds could embody your boss and announce that you are getting a promotion. On the romantic level, the King of diamonds can represent someone who uses his power to prevent you from moving forward.
    Entourage
    The King of diamonds represents someone from your entourage who could have an importance in your future. You have to be careful as he can influence people and may endanger what you have built. Beware of people who do not keep a promise. If this person is trustable, you can then accept his help and build your future on a solid basis.

I haven't seen the alliance side, but what's the interaction between Anduin and Alleria/Void Elfs so far? There's a lot of BoyKing and HerThirdDeath speculation, but haven't seen people connect them... I'm thinking the void uses her to get to Anduin, just like how Xal'atath mentions the void now has access to the seat of the pantheon and was able to attack the sunwell from her being close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Syfus View Post
    Boy king speculations:

Moira's son
    Anduin
    Wrathion (my choice)
    The first lie has been told since we heard the prophecy. And guess which characters haven't had even a single line of dialogue since then? Guess which character is regularly referred to as the "Boy King".

It's fucking Anduin. The only fucking shit he's really talked about since then are the responsibilities of a King. That's where the lie has to be. There's nothing else. You are thinking about this the wrong way if you're looking for a betrayal or trickery. For Anduin to offer lies, he just has to be wrong about something. Something you might not realize he's wrong about, until you give it a deeper thought.

Anduin's expressed concept of rulership has led to disaster in the Warcraft universe before.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    I haven't seen the alliance side, but what's the interaction between Anduin and Alleria/Void Elfs so far? There's a lot of BoyKing and HerThirdDeath speculation, but haven't seen people connect them... I'm thinking the void uses her to get to Anduin, just like how Xal'atath mentions the void now has access to the seat of the pantheon and was able to attack the sunwell from her being close to it.
    The Void doesn't need to do anything so direct. Anduin serves at the Master's Table just by waging war with the Horde. Every time he makes a choice that escalates the conflict, he's serving N'zoth. Without even a need for a single whisper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Honestly ? Anduin won't be bad guy, but he will totally end up being used/manipulated into doing something really stupid/bad. Just because he will tell us lies, doesn't mean he is doing it willingly, or even knowingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Honestly ? Anduin won't be bad guy, but he will totally end up being used/manipulated into doing something really stupid/bad. Just because he will tell us lies, doesn't mean he is doing it willingly, or even knowingly.
    Exactly. I think the truth of these whispers is that people read more, or expect more, from them than there actually is. They should be taken at face value.

Anduin will offer three lies. The first one has been offered. We can see what he's been talking about lately. So that's the lie. His actions will serve the Old Gods. We already know the Faction War serves them.

The King of Diamonds is Magni, and really doesn't have to be anyone else. He's been made a pawn. His goals, however noble, will be exploited to the benefit of the Old Gods.

None of this tells us either of them are evil villains. Rather, it's more a sign that the path to hell can be paved with good intentions, and we should keep an eye out for that.

The Void doesn't need to do anything so direct. Anduin serves at the Master's Table just by waging war with the Horde. Every time he makes a choice that escalates the conflict, he's serving N'zoth. Without even a need for a single whisper.
    The Void guys love to boast about the stuff they've done that know one knows about. They're like a murderer who needs to make a calling card because the detectives need help.

If the lies aren't somehow influenced by them, I'd be surprised, because they really like to boast about their influence.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    The Void guys love to boast about the stuff they've done that know one knows about. They're like a murderer who needs to make a calling card because the detectives need help.

If the lies aren't somehow influenced by them, I'd be surprised, because they really like to boast about their influence.
    Well, this is a videogame. If you don't spell something out 100% clearly, people will come to the wrong conclusions about what's going on. I've seen people say Shadow Priests were supposed to be what Discipline Priests are now, just because they misunderstood some lore that wasn't shoved in their face hard enough.

If the Old Gods were subtle, no one would even realize they existed. Honestly, I could have told you Old Gods were Void creatures years before it was revealed.

I'm an expert on this bullshit. I probably have a more complete understanding of the Void lore than most of Blizzard's writers.

I'm an expert on this bullshit. I probably have a more complete understanding of the Void lore than most of Blizzard's writers.
    Their writers really don't know shit about what others have written, it's a real mess when on lore panels, they're confused at what people are asking them about.