Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The second movie with John Goodman was actually (I thought) a better movie. A movie that didn't really feel like it tied into Cloverfield, but a better movie nonetheless.
    You don't even need to preface that statement with (I thought) as the second movie was flat out a much better movie. I very nearly didn't watch the second movie because of the Cloverfield name as I found the first one terrible(mostly because I don't like found footage films at all).

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    To be honest I chalked all of that up to creepy sci-fi horror shit and didn't think to much about it.
    It mostly felt like there were 2 competing movies going on at once. The dialogue was trying for almost a sci-fi multi-dimensional overlap movie, but the action was of a horror/possessed ship movie like Event Horizon. So nothing that happens on the ship makes any sense with what we're being told. It might've been interesting if it were intentional, but it seems more like it was just a poorly thought out movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    If the first was Cloverfield and the second was 10 Cloverfield, shouldn't this be 11 Cloverfield and the next 100 Cloverfield?
    it was 10 Cloverfield Lane. that is where he lived.

you are also lead to believe they are not even related until the ending scene in 2 and 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    You don't even need to preface that statement with (I thought) as the second movie was flat out a much better movie. I very nearly didn't watch the second movie because of the Cloverfield name as I found the first one terrible(mostly because I don't like found footage films at all).
    lol

please somebody help me understand this logic. If you don't enjoy the Cloverfield series, why are you bothering watching the other films? The third movie was more Cloverfield than the second movie, of course your opinion would be leaning towards liking the second movie more. More power to you to continue watching the films, but I just don't get why you're expecting to get something out of a film series that you don't enjoy, especially if you're saying that you're hesitant to watch movies just because of the name. If you're going into something already hating it and expecting the worse, then there should be no surprises.
    Last edited by Seramore; 2018-02-06 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    It mostly felt like there were 2 competing movies going on at once. The dialogue was trying for almost a sci-fi multi-dimensional overlap movie, but the action was of a horror/possessed ship movie like Event Horizon. So nothing that happens on the ship makes any sense with what we're being told. It might've been interesting if it were intentional, but it seems more like it was just a poorly thought out movie.
    Hopefully the next movie fills in those gapes so it makes better sense.

Overall I enjoyed it tho even tho the first half bored me.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully the next movie fills in those gapes so it makes better sense.

Overall I enjoyed it tho even tho the first half bored me.
    The next movie is during World War II where they will probably be seeing what are most likely going to be demons (the interview early on in the movie is a pretty big foreshadowing for this). I wouldn't get your hopes up, although I'd expect a bit more background on the company that's been involved these events considering how it was created presumably during the time of this new movie.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    If the first was Cloverfield and the second was 10 Cloverfield, shouldn't this be 11 Cloverfield and the next 100 Cloverfield?

Only if you are retarded and don't understand titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Only if you are retarded and don't understand titles.
    He's making a binary joke....

Quote Originally Posted by Seramore View Post
    lol

please somebody help me understand this logic. If you don't enjoy the Cloverfield series, why are you bothering watching the other films? The third movie was more Cloverfield than the second movie, of course your opinion would be leaning towards liking the second movie more. More power to you to continue watching the films, but I just don't get why you're expecting to get something out of a film series that you don't enjoy, especially if you're saying that you're hesitant to watch movies just because of the name. If you're going into something already hating it and expecting the worse, then there should be no surprises.
    What is difficult to understand? I didn't like the first one which almost made me miss out on the second which I really liked. My primary complaint about the first movie was the found footage style that it used. The story was fine. I ended up watching the second movie because I found out it wasn't a found footage style movie. As it stands the franchise is 50/50 for me so I am willing to give the third one a chance. I feel like you didn't understand what I posted.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like you didn't understand what I posted.
    You don't even need to preface that statement with (I thought) as the second movie was flat out a much better movie.
    I very nearly didn't watch the second movie because of the Cloverfield name as I found the first one terrible
    Maybe there's a communication and understanding issue on both sides, but your post definitely doesn't make sense to me. The first quote was a reply to a post making a comment about the third movie (which you haven't watched apparently?), and in the second quote, your original claim was you almost didn't watch the second movie because it had the name Cloverfield in it, despite the fact that it was obviously not a found footage movie.
    Last edited by Seramore; 2018-02-06 at 11:13 PM.

Maybe there's a communication and understanding issue on both sides, but your post definitely doesn't make sense to me. The first quote was a reply to a post making a comment about the third movie (which you haven't watched apparently?), and in the second quote, your original claim was you almost didn't watch the second movie because it had the name Cloverfield in it, despite the fact that it was obviously not a found footage movie.
    My original comment was agreeing with the other person that the second movie was much better than the first. "The second movie with John Goodman was actually (I thought) a better movie. A movie that didn't really feel like it tied into Cloverfield, but a better movie nonetheless." That was the comment I responded too and it was about the second movie. Unless John Goodman is also in this new movie?

I had not seen a trailer for 10 Cloverfield Lane to know it wasn't a found footage movie and had nearly written it off because of its association with the first movie. I'm glad I looked into it more and decided to see the movie because I really enjoyed it.

I think the confusion is you thought the original comment was about the third movie when it was specifically about the second in relation to the first?

10+ Year Old Account
    My original comment was agreeing with the other person that the second movie was much better than the first. "The second movie with John Goodman was actually (I thought) a better movie. A movie that didn't really feel like it tied into Cloverfield, but a better movie nonetheless." That was the comment I responded too and it was about the second movie. Unless John Goodman is also in this new movie?
    Where are you getting the idea that he was comparing the second movie to the first movie?

Where are you getting the idea that he was comparing the second movie to the first movie?
    Well I guess maybe it could be in comparison to the third as well given he wasn't quoting anyone. As I was reading the thread perhaps I erroneously assumed he was talking about the second in relation to the first given the post just before his "I saw the first Cloverfield, never saw the second (as I saw no connection at all and thought that was stupid), not sure I want to watch this one." I guess as I read the thread his comment felt like a response to that post which in context made me think it was about the first and second movies.

Well, that was... hm.

Felt very much like Sunshine, with a dash of Sphere.

Absolutely no resolution, which is par for the franchise, and something I appreciate. Always more enjoyable when there's something to debate.

The earth that they came from is doubtlessly another earth, but their actions have, I believe, triggered the monster attack of Cloverfield 1, as well as the Alien attack of 10 Cloverfield Lane. Their actions permeate space-time, affecting not only their earth, not only their time, but ALL earths, ALL times.

Interesting... we shall see where they go from here.

Edit: This is worth a look, talks about multiple dimensions and, as above, the amount of shit caused by these astronauts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqRl4kxkd0A
    Last edited by Xeranath; 2018-02-07 at 08:13 AM.

The first Cloverfield was outstanding, second movie was ok.. this last one plain garbage. Horrible story. Only the last scene was cool.

Hmm, pretty bad ratings on rotten tomatoes. I'm going in. Will report back later if I make it.

Ok right off, initial story setup where they have the people in the car talking and she goes over the backstory felt so forced. I would have rather had star wars scrolling text, jeez.

Would have been so much better if the story started right after the initial "netflix and paramount pictures present" right in to the shaking ship and shutting down the experiment. Let the backstory about the heck they're here for reveal itself. Would have been so much better.

In fact, in the next 20 mins, they cover the whole backstory in a much more natural way. It makes me wonder if some exec slapped that start on because they were sure the audience would be too dumb to catch the plot.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I watched it. I'm glad I was doing other things at the same time. Definitely not worth. Simplistic plot device done poorly.
    Last edited by Rukh; 2018-02-09 at 04:33 AM.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

I haven't even watched the second one because the first was so bad. I showed it to my wife a year or so back and we basically MST3Ked it the entire time. From the reviews this installment got, I highly doubt I'll be checking it out any time soon unless I run out of other ways to abuse myself.

7+ Year Old Account
    To be honest I chalked all of that up to creepy sci-fi horror shit and didn't think to much about it.
    That was my mindset going into the movie. I think it's the right kind of mindset when watching this type of movie.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    I haven't even watched the second one because the first was so bad. I showed it to my wife a year or so back and we basically MST3Ked it the entire time. From the reviews this installment got, I highly doubt I'll be checking it out any time soon unless I run out of other ways to abuse myself.
    The second one is amazing, its nothing like the first movie. 10CL is one of my favourite movies, its not a monster movie at all. You should really check it out.

Personally i enjoyed paradox, it was quite entertaining with how absurd it got.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skr View Post
    Yeah, what was that about?

More SPOILERS:

Who was "talking" to the russian guy when he was looking at the mirror? Clearly, he had voices in his head, what was that about? Did the worms(why did they even have worms there, they weren't biologists) made his eye(s) move? Who gave him the code(s) for overriding the machine and making a gun?

And the entire thing with the sapient hand... Apart from moving and thinking on its own, how did the hand knew that the "GPS cube" was inside the russian?

Who let the german guy go, in order to find the crawling hand?

I'll do my best to answer with my interpretations

The Russian guy merged with himself from dimension B. Thats how he knew / thought Schmidt was a spy, because in dimension B, Schmidt was a spy. He was talking to himself in the mirror because for a few seconds there were 2 of him. Not a great explanation, but thats how i saw it.

The worms are weird, i guess that they just got teleported inside him during the mixup or something. Again, not a great explanation but its either that or he decided to eat all the worms for some reason. Same with the Gyro, unless that guy has a really loose ass then it must have got teleported inside him.

I think the Russian guy from dimension B knew the code for the machine, they already knew Schmidt was a spy in dimension B, so perhaps they needed a gun there?

The hand thing was just weird, probably the directors just thought it would be 'cool' and didn't put much more thought into it.

Maybe the Hand released Schmidt?

Lots of weird stuff happened while they were in dimension B, like the irish guy being attacked by the magnetic putty tentacles, the water flowing into that room (where did that much water come from? was it just a leaking pipe or what?)

- - - Updated - - -

I think the directors did the same

Deleted
    Saw it and thought it was really awful. It starts strong with an Event Horizon feel to it but completely fumbles and never, NEVER feels suspenseful or scary. I never cared about any of the characters AT ALL. And what the fuck is with the Chinese woman speaking mandarin all the time but nobody else on the INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION gets to speak their own language? The China pandering is tragic.