Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    I mean, Breitbart and co. kept droning about how the markets rising was a sign of Donald Duck doing fine. So...

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/05/inve...nes/index.html
    I guess you have no idea how the stock market works?

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Go ahead and enlighten all of us with your vast knowledge on the subject.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    No, because according to Hannity the stock market crash was Obama's fault. So any recovery is thanks to Obama.

Edit:

Let's play a simple game

A) The stock market rise and fall is Obama's credit/fault

B) The stock market rise and fall is Trump's credit/fault

C) The President has no direct control over the stock one way or another

You have to pick one. Right now, you're taking a little from column A and a little from column B.
    I read it was machines that went haywire?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Bizarre way to reply to someone, who is mocking Trump for taking credit. Makes no sense... You think Trump was to be credited with stock market, just not the days it drops? That’s your idea of how stockmarket works?

My guess it’s the same blind bias @Hellboi showed in this thread. You couldn’t find someone who thought this would continue or explicitly blamed Trump, so you lash out at one that has nothing to do with it. Sorry that this forum was so disappointing in feeding your view of this forum.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought stocks were doing well because investors were expecting tax cuts. I don't really keep up with stocks so if anybody can explain this to me that would be really cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    I thought stocks were doing well because investors were expecting tax cuts. I don't really keep up with stocks so if anybody can explain this to me that would be really cool.
    They are, but too much. The prices are currently bloated and the inflation increase is expected to be higher than originally thought. There should be a 10% correction, then the volatility should subside. It’s been expected for a while, so you may see other drops this segnificant, but unless it dips much lower than a 10% total drop, it’s not a sign of the economy doing worse. It’s an expected “correction”.

Just... don’t invest in wells Fargo... regardless of what people say in this thread, dropping prices does not always mean buy more. Wells Fargo will continue to fall.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    The market is up again
    Good job Trump!

May you all have a blessed morning!
    I am an independent thus this is a rational message.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    The market is up again
    Good job Trump!

S&P still down since Jan 26th. We'll see how it goes.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Alot of it came down to computers. Anymore trading is computers trading with computers void of no human interaction (there is alot of legislation trying to be pushed to knock alot of this crap off but while Republicans are in control its not going to happen). While the jobs report was positive there were alot of hidden red flags in the report (the U-6 jumped a fair amount which in the age of the death of the big box stores means the economy might not be as strong for the lower class, there is now fears of a massive increase in inflation because the tax cuts are going to overclock the economy because traditionally you only decrease taxes/increase government spending in weak economic times) there is also fears that interest rates are going to dramatically increase higher than people would like and also there was a change in fed chairman which always bring in new worries (especially when the previous one had like 8 straight years of dramatically improving the quality of the markets).
    The computers read these actions as OMG sell sell sell. While the past two days are probably actual people putting their money in safe bets to show confidence in the markets or your common day trader trying to make a quick easy buck I would be very careful of this market. While the VIX is coming down that shows there is some fear in a collapse. The swings are still way too high and with the volume of trading I personally would pass on the market until things stabilize. Personally I think the market is about 10% overvalue and still expecting there to be a correction.

10+ Year Old Account
    This right here is my gripe with how the market functions at the moment.

Words have too great of an effect.

If the president says he is going to do something, the market reacts. But then when what was said doesn't happen the way they thought, the market drops. You would think actions would be the best determining factor, not idle comments and promises.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post

If the president says he is going to do something, the market reacts. But then when what was said doesn't happen the way they thought, the market drops. You would think actions would be the best determining factor, not idle comments and promises.
    Stock value is, and has always been, based on speculation. You are guessing that at some point in the future, company-x will be worth y-dollars, so that's what you value their stock at. It's frankly, nonsense. Look at Amazon, their stock price is 1,457.09/share and they almost never turn any profit at all. But someday... they MIGHT!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Stock value is, and has always been, based on speculation. You are guessing that at some point in the future, company-x will be worth y-dollars, so that's what you value their stock at. It's frankly, nonsense. Look at Amazon, their stock price is 1,457.09/share and they almost never turn any profit at all. But someday... they MIGHT!
    It is why I can't get behind it. Seems like something one would have to devote a lot of attention to and spend a lot of time researching. As a person who is in the lower-middle class in NJ, I simply can't afford to jump into the stock market. It is too risky for my income, and my lack of knowledge.

10+ Year Old Account

No, the stock market is 100% speculation. It cannot exist otherwise. It’s a concept that is depended on what you believe is it’s problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    No, the stock market is 100% speculation. It cannot exist otherwise. It’s a concept that is depended on what you believe is it’s problem.
    I see it as Gambling for the rich, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is why I can't get behind it. Seems like something one would have to devote a lot of attention to and spend a lot of time researching. As a person who is in the lower-middle class in NJ, I simply can't afford to jump into the stock market. It is too risky for my income, and my lack of knowledge.
    You are totally right. Do not listen to the people saying to just invest when the market is dropping. Notice that they will never answer what they are investing in... it’s the same reason why people point to Trump being dumb for taking credit when wallstreet booms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... the simple solution is to put money into index funds rather than specific stocks. That's the equivalent of saying "I bet the economy in the future will have more money in it than the economy today", generally a safe bet. Also far cheaper than trading stocks...

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... the simple solution is to put money into index funds rather than specific stocks. That's the equivalent of saying "I bet the economy in the future will have more money in it than the economy today", generally a safe bet. Also far cheaper than trading stocks...
    Sadly, I have a 401k, and I have no idea what it is invested in. All I do know, is that the Rate of Return is up to 24.19%. So I assume that is good.

I should really research this lol.

Well except for the huge growth in amazon profit the last two years, with an almost 30% revenue growth.

596 million -> 2.4 billion > Estimates are 4-5 billion for this year.

So "someday they might" was about 3 years ago.

Of course most of their profits are from their web hosting operations.

They are living off the same margins that made Walmart what it is today.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    The market is up again
    Good job Trump!

Good afternoon.
    The market is down again.
    Good job Trump.

May you all have a blessed Afternoon.

I am providing this irrational message because, well just because!!

Dow 24,887.13 -5.74 -0.04%
    S&P 500 2,688.08 -7.06 -0.26%
    Nasdaq 7,064.20 -51.69 -0.73%

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on several factors.
    How much they charge in the index fund on fees
    How much trading you do
    Whom you trade with.

Nothing is a safe bet. Also depends on many factors and timing. If you just so happen to retire and need your money in 1987-88, 2008-09....you totally got screwed for example. Your safe bet was just beaten by timing.

Must be another good news day according to trump!!!

Donald J. Trump
    ✔ @realDonaldTrump
    In the “old days,” when good news was reported, the Stock Market would go up. Today, when good news is reported, the Stock Market goes down. Big mistake, and we have so much good (great) news about the economy!

9:59 AM - Feb 7, 2018

Dow 24,018.93 -874.42 -3.51%
    S&P 500 2,597.11 -84.55 -3.15%
    Nasdaq 6,815.77 -236.22 -3.35%
    GlobalDow 3,034.54 -65.68 -2.12%

Funny that fox news has this story burried so far and front page is soros!!!
    Last edited by Zan15; 2018-02-08 at 08:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TrumpTweeted View Post
    and we have so much good (great) news about the economy!
    As discussed before, pumping more money into a closed system -- say, an economy at employment saturation -- does tend to cause inflation to go up. And, buying nearly twice as much debt does require raising govt bond rates, making them a better return while still safer than the stock market. Neither of those are good news for the Dow.