Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    if your gonna take that stance every single game is a unoriginal plagarization of something that came before it.
    I think you are confusing inspirational reference with "Hey lets just take Star Control 2 and revalation space and make it again plot for plot"

example:
    "As Sylveste and the crew of the Nostalgia approach Cerberus , Sylveste realizes the massive celestial body isn't a planet at all -- but rather, a massive technological beacon, aimed at alerting machine sentience to the appearance of new star-faring cultures. It is this beacon, Sylveste belatedly realises, that alerted a machine intelligence known as the Inhibitors to the presence of the forerunners, and ultimately caused the demise of that race."

I know Mass Effect has some die hards for some reason i cannot fathom but assuming its 'mildly inspired by' is like saying Ghostbusters 2016 was 'loosely inspired' by an ivan reitman film from the 1980's.

1 Amazing

2 Ok

3 SHIT

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    In my opinion, Andromeda was fine and could have led to awesome trilogy on its own.
    Indeed. It wasn't really a Mass Effect game, it was just in the same universe, and there was plenty of room to do more stuff along those lines.

I enjoyed all 3 main trilogy games as well as Andromeda, with each of them having a few things I disliked, but overall it's still easily my favorite series of games.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2018-02-07 at 12:53 PM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    The moment I saw Miranda, I knew what I, as Commander Shepard, would bang.
    "I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite conquest on the Citadel"

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I think you are confusing inspirational reference with "Hey lets just take Star Control 2 and revalation space and make it again plot for plot"

example:
    "As Sylveste and the crew of the Nostalgia approach Cerberus , Sylveste realizes the massive celestial body isn't a planet at all -- but rather, a massive technological beacon, aimed at alerting machine sentience to the appearance of new star-faring cultures. It is this beacon, Sylveste belatedly realises, that alerted a machine intelligence known as the Inhibitors to the presence of the forerunners, and ultimately caused the demise of that race."

I know Mass Effect has some die hards for some reason i cannot fathom but assuming its 'mildly inspired by' is like saying Ghostbusters 2016 was 'loosely inspired' by an ivan reitman film from the 1980's.
    I think you've only skimmed the synopsis of both games, look a bit deeper and you'll see ME and Star Control both have a lot more going on than that little paragraph (if indeed ME did take that idea from Star Control, I'd wager good money their story was inspired by something else.)

ME has a lot.of references to sci-fi classics including Dune, Lensman, The Matrix, Babylon 5 and a lot I recognise from Iain M. Banks' work (though it wouldn't surprise me if they were inspired by the same sources rather than Banks directly.) There's also Lovecraftian elements and the ending is an amalgam of the latter Dune books and the final Foundation novel (not counting the prequels) complete with unexpected space magic and a three way choice.

ME did a similar thing to 40k, take inspiration from so many sources they combine to be their own thing. Not so much ripping off a single sci-fi setting as writing a love letter to the whole genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Solid first 2 games, a third one that's mostly good with a really wonky ending.

Andromeda despite it's gameplay merits will have it's legacy coloured almost entirely by what the animations and the dialogue were like. Gamers are fans of hyperbole and likes to act like the worst of the game is all it has going for it.

Well I'm a decent Star Wars and LotR fan, and I'm not really sure what Mass Effect is, other than "some video game, I guess". And I'm a gamer, too.

So I highly doubt it will be remembered much at all. I could be falling prey to the "false consensus effect", but that's how I see it.

Citadel DLC was the real ending of ME3...honestly don't even bother going to earth. The ending was total shit.

ME3 will forever be remembered as the biggest fuck you to fans ever put into video games.

I won't.
    Be remembered that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Growel View Post
    Well I'm a decent Star Wars and LotR fan, and I'm not really sure what Mass Effect is, other than "some video game, I guess". And I'm a gamer, too.

So I highly doubt it will be remembered much at all. I could be falling prey to the "false consensus effect", but that's how I see it.
    Are you saying you've not played cames other than star wars / lotr based games?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post

example:

but that still doesn't stop it from being a great game in plot. for example many games have borrowed elements from either film,books, or movies from popular franchises, universes, works of literature and still have been great experiences. not liking a game because it copies something seems to be robbing yourself of a great experience since mass effect 1 at least was a solid if slightly flawed game in some aspects. namely the combat.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I never played Mass Effect but why should I... if I want a singled player space adventure worth playing I will replay Unreal or Outcast for the 20th time

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Are you saying you've not played cames other than star wars / lotr based games?
    I didn't say that. Or imply it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Naah mass effect is dead, let's get over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It probably wont be remembered. ME series broke no new gameplay grounds. You wont be hearing about it like you hear about Legend of Zelda or Final Fantasy on NES. Those games are remembered because they brought new gameplay concepts to the masses. ME is a 3rd person shooter with cool RPG elements. Nothing about it stands out and makes it memorable. The story was cool, and so was the voice acting, but those cant be tied to actual gameplay mechanics and systems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good trilogy, horrid ending....

I loved all the ME games, including 3 and Andromeda. But then I also played ME:3 years after release and Andromeda after the last patch. In fact, I'd love if we got single player DLC to rescue the Quarian Ark, but Bioware has clearly abandoned the game at this point.

Obviously none of the games are flawless, but I never got the controversy concerning the ending of ME:3, and while some of the dialogue in Andromeda is quite ridiculous (my face is tired etc), I never really got to experience the worst of it.

If anything, I'd say it was the gameplay in ME:1 that almost stopped me from playing through the game. Thankfully the story was good enough for me to persevere.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    Good trilogy, horrid ending....
    What's wrong with its ending(s)?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    You wont be hearing about it like you hear about Legend of Zelda or Final Fantasy on NES. ... Nothing about it stands out and makes it memorable.
    Zelda is unknown outside of Nintendo fans.
    Final Fantasy is just a clone of previous JRPGs like Dragon Quest, etc.
    ME is the first story-driven RPG shooter, the genre we hadn't before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Zelda is unknown outside of Nintendo fans.
    Final Fantasy is just a clone of previous JRPGs like Dragon Quest, etc.
    ME is the first story-driven RPG shooter, the genre we hadn't before.
    The perfect good ending (kill all reaper, save all organic life) left shep's life in question until the dev's had to explain like a few years later that shep surivived the ending of me3 and that the good ending was canon and the problem is not many people know that. plus that who resource thing determined if you got a good ending...

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    It was blatantly rushed, and just this fault alone is a big enough slap in the face to the fans. Being unfinished isn't the only thing that's wrong with it. Ultimately, none of your choices mattered, and it's not just because the only thing that changed from one ending to another was color of the beam, every ending was just completely disconnected from the story. ME1 ending? That was personal. You killed a guy who almost framed you, while at the same time winning the initial battle of the war for the whole sentient population of the galaxy. ME2? It was an even more personal story of a group of people willingly going through hell's gates, aware that noone will hear of their sacrifices regardless of the result. In both ME and ME2, the player was able to forge their ending experience. Choices mattered. Hell, there was even a possibility of having the whole squad killed in the ending of ME2. ME3? You get a different color of the beam and "it all happened thousands of years ago, son!" Even disregarding Shepard's fate, you don't even get to know what happened to the rest of your squad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.