Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Staysafe View Post
    I'm not sure on the specific terminology, but I've recently spoken to some addon developers that have made Vanilla addons over the last several years. It appears as if Blizzard potentially has the capacity to close some of the API's or pathways that allow addons to interact with the game. Do you think they should do this to help preserve some of the 'difficulty' or mystique or Classic WoW? Or do you think they should allow pretty much everything, as they do now for retail WoW?
    No, they should keep classic as vanilla was.

15+ Year Old Account
    Looking forward to having Decursive and PallyPower keybound for maximum mindless spamming.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    Thats a stupid statement. Addons were a major part of vanilla from the very start.
    Not at all. You aren't being "purist" unless the game is pure, i.e. no addons.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Donald View Post
    So are the "purists" going to run the default UI with no addons? Because you aren't really playing the true and pure vanilla if you install even a single addon.
    You're one of those ignorant and happy kind of folks right? I guess you don't know that during vanilla addons were prevelant and did much more than they do now, so much more that blizz restricted what addons could do more and more over the years.

Blizzard have said they'll be making Classic using a modified version of current WoW... so it's safe to say it'll be using current APIs and macros, and not APIs/Macros that worked back in Vanilla that no longer work now.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    You're one of those ignorant and happy kind of folks right? I guess you don't know that during vanilla addons were prevelant and did much more than they do now, so much more that blizz restricted what addons could do more and more over the years.
    It's not about their availability. Them existing during vanilla doesn't change the fact that you aren't playing the pure and original WoW by using one.

"We can't have any changes, no changes at all!"
    "But I need this addon that changes the base game in order to fully enjoy playing!"

Something doesn't quite add up here. Which is it? Pure or changed? You can't have both, they are mutually exclusive.

A lot of current addons take out the guesswork that was in Vanilla. And they pretty much play the game for you.

If people want Vanilla experience the modern addons shouldn't work. If you never played Vanilla and think "But my x addon makes y so much easier" Yea, Vanilla wasn't easy. Deal with it.
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sastank View Post
    A lot of current addons take out the guesswork that was in Vanilla. And they pretty much play the game for you.

If people want Vanilla experience the modern addons shouldn't work. If you never played Vanilla and think "But my x addon makes y so much easier" Yea, Vanilla wasn't easy. Deal with it.
    Vanilla was plenty easy, in large thanks to addons that no longer work/exist.
    I'ts not just safe, it's 40% safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeeh View Post
    Vanilla was plenty easy, in large thanks to addons that no longer work/exist.
    Ok lol. 10char
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Ok lol. 10char
    He is fairly right. The addon community was not overly about sharing in Vanilla. There were guilds that had addons that would decide which heal to cast, on which player, at which rank based on a bunch of factors(lowest health character, whether another healer was casting a spell on them currently, healer mana, etc). And they were scary accurate. We had a priest that would top meters with it by pressing the button after each cast completed, depending on the fight it would cast the heal and if he turned on the option after the heal cast it would shield or renew the player.

- - - Updated - - -

Most of those addon's were in vanilla. Deus Vox was already writing boss timers that used raid warnings. And Vanilla was easy, mechanics were easy, rotations in many cases involved spamming one button, most fights were forgiving(minus a couple in Naxx and C'thun). I think you are mixing up difficult with the words time consuming or tiresome.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not about their availability. Them existing during vanilla doesn't change the fact that you aren't playing the pure and original WoW by using one.

"But I need this addon that changes the base game in order to fully enjoy playing!"

Something doesn't quite add up here. Which is it? Pure or changed? You can't have both, they are mutually exclusive.
    What are you talking about, these addons were part of vanilla wow, original wow..... they are not mutually exclusive other than in your utopia.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    Looking forward to having Decursive and PallyPower keybound for maximum mindless spamming.
    Whisper cast.......

Will we be able to get Peggle in WoW Classic ? That was awesome whilst waiting for the raid to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Staysafe View Post
    I'm not sure on the specific terminology, but I've recently spoken to some addon developers that have made Vanilla addons over the last several years. It appears as if Blizzard potentially has the capacity to close some of the API's or pathways that allow addons to interact with the game. Do you think they should do this to help preserve some of the 'difficulty' or mystique or Classic WoW? Or do you think they should allow pretty much everything, as they do now for retail WoW?
    You mean allow those vanilla "i just mindlessly press one button on cooldown and let a script I copied figure out whatever is best to cast' style gameplay?
    I think you have weird ideas about how macros in WoW have evolved over time.

/script TargetUnit("player"); for a=1,GetNumPartyMembers()
    do t="target"; p="party"..a; if ( UnitHealth(p) > 1 and
    UnitHealth(t)/UnitHealthMax(t) > UnitHealth(p)/UnitHealthMax(p) )
    then TargetUnit(p) end end
    /script if (UnitHealth("target")>80) then CastSpellByName("Renew(Rank 3)") else CastSpellByName("Heal(Rank 1)") end;

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok lol. 10char
    You may laugh, but back in vanilla the API was so flexible that people *literally wrote an addon that played for you.* You even had fall-through macros and an addon that let you draw makers and arrows on other players screens. Not raid markers but full blown shapes, lines, allows, that your raid would see if they also had the addon.

Also, bosses were a lot more simple, had less mechanics to deal with.

In your troll mind they are mutually exclusive.

In a sane person's mind, addons were always a part of the game since it's inception, the power and freedom to customize your ui was always a part of the game, deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teugeus View Post
    Will we be able to get Peggle in WoW Classic ? That was awesome whilst waiting for the raid to start.
    Peggle was in WotLK

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    You mean allow those vanilla "i just mindlessly press one button on cooldown and let a script I copied figure out whatever is best to cast' style gameplay?
    I think you have weird ideas about how macros in WoW have evolved over time.

/script TargetUnit("player"); for a=1,GetNumPartyMembers()
    do t="target"; p="party"..a; if ( UnitHealth(p) > 1 and
    UnitHealth(t)/UnitHealthMax(t) > UnitHealth(p)/UnitHealthMax(p) )
    then TargetUnit(p) end end
    /script if (UnitHealth("target")>80) then CastSpellByName("Renew(Rank 3)") else CastSpellByName("Heal(Rank 1)") end;
    They were more advanced then that though. They got to the point where they were watching the other healer's casts and targets and then picking an appropriate low health target.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    In your troll mind they are mutually exclusive.

In a sane person's mind, addons were always a part of the game since it's inception, the power and freedom to customize your ui was always a part of the game, deal with it.
    You also could not raid as a healer without addon's as there was no viable way to see raid frames as they were not added to Vanilla. Legitimately there is one more QoL change that could be added. Raid Frames.

Another thing that took place during Vanilla were combat log addons, because the in-game combat log wasn't really fleshed out until late Vanilla, around patch 1.8.
    Classic WoW Content Creator - Daily Streams and Bi-Weekly Videos!
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/staysafetv
    YouTube: https://youtube.com/staysafetv

10+ Year Old Account
    Bring back the old threat meter :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    You may laugh, but back in vanilla the API was so flexible that people *literally wrote an addon that played for you.* You even had fall-through macros and an addon that let you draw makers and arrows on other players screens. Not raid markers but full blown shapes, lines, allows, that your raid would see if they also had the addon.

Also, bosses were a lot more simple, had less mechanics to deal with.
    Those floor-based raid markers only really became used during ICC as far as I remember, they didn't exist before then.

Fuck did they trivialize the shit out of a lot of fights though...
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED