Page 5 of 92 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugnomo View Post
    I love Sethrak, they look cool as hell. And I love their Egyptian/Arabic aesthetic, with the patterns and the thick cloths.
    We will see. They seem to be enemy NPCs so far. And the head gear could be a problem.
    Yeah i agree on Egyptian/Arabic aesthetic. They give me Aladin vibes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugnomo View Post
    I love Sethrak, they look cool as hell. And I love their Egyptian/Arabic aesthetic, with the patterns and the thick cloths.
    We will see. They seem to be enemy NPCs so far. And the head gear could be a problem.
    Ancient Egyptian
    Arabic

Choose one. They are not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuen View Post
    Ancient Egyptian
    Arabic

Yeah, the Arakkoa seem to have a more Arabic vibe than the Sethrak.

Ancient Egyptian
    Arabic

I know. I'm saying they seem to take inspiration from both.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post
    Arab influence = Air elementals.
    Egyptian = Qiraji, Nerubian, Uldum, Sethrak, Scourge Liches.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ancient Egyptian
    Arabic

All I can think of is Conan the Barbarian, especially when looking at their little town with the giant snake temple...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    At this point I want Sethrak to be straight up everything Heart of Thorns -doesn't- want, just to piss him off.

They need to add a whole subplot about them inspiring Social Justice in the Alliance that not only gains a foothold but is actually viewed positively.
    I will disappoint you, brother, for 'I hold the patience of stone and the will of stars'. Lord keeps my heart silenced within hum of His whispers.

Not to mention Sethrak appear to be supremacist lot of haughty breed. Maybe even more so than the Nightborne. I can't imagine such noble race to mud their scales willingly.

Ancient Egyptian
    Arabic

Sethrak definitely have an Ancient Egyptian vibe. They wear white cloth, are an empire and have slaves (not that Ancient Egypt was more known for slavery than any other Bronze Age-Antiquity civilization but that's besides the point).

I also get an East African vibe from vulpera, although that might just be me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post
    Arakkoa were definitely more Indian imo.

7+ Year Old Account
    For their temples they seem to use Ancient Egyptian motiff ala Snake Sphinx (but its too early to tell for sure) and for their camps they seem to use desert nomads esqe huts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karamaru View Post
    For their temples they seem to use Ancient Egyptian motiff ala Snake Sphinx (but its too early to tell for sure) and for their camps they seem to use desert nomads esqe huts.
    Ancient Egypt had desert nomads.

Heck Uldum is in itself a way of showcasing the Arab 'takeover' of Egypt. With it's ancient history and buildings crumpling in the desert while the Air elementals have 'invaded'.

Not making any political jiibes here, just pointing it out.

They look beautiful. Their animations are great. If Blizzard lets me play one of these, I'll forgive them for the vulpera.

We're not really getting Vulpera though are we?

Speaking of lore, I'm interested to find out if they're truly cold blooded or not. They, or at least the emperor's faction, terraform anyplace they conquer into desert. Can they actually adapt to being outside Vol'dun?

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I also get an East African vibe from vulpera, although that might just be me.
    Not just you, though I get a broader African vibe rather than east or west. The hyena mounts likely being theirs reminds me of Nigerian hyena tamers, for example.

People keep assuming that because they're cute, they don't fit into the Horde, but we know almost nothing about their culture or beliefs yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaelia View Post
    I really hope they are pulling the wool over our eyes and the Sethrak end up on the Horde. That would give the Alliance a goblin rig and the Horde a worgen one. On par with some of the Allied Races flip flopping. Plus, the Alliance doesn't seem like they'd take in a race that has slavery in its society but that's based purely on the cut scene with the Emperor and they could just create a faction rebelling.

ALL THAT ASIDE, though, the current formula for Allied Races is "Exalted with x" "Finished y Storyline", and the Vulpera and Tortallan are the ones with actual reputations. I'd wager those two could be allied races before the Reputationless Sethrak.

IF they do end up being a race, Sexual Dimorphism isn't a dealbreaker. I present to you, the Iksar of EverQuest:

Note that the difference is in facial color, for the females, is a bit more colorful. Even if in the wild that's the opposite (males of most animal species tend to be the ones who show off) It can be done in a subtle way without adding snek boobs.
    This makes me ponder the idea that if they were playable, size, color options and frill differentiation will be suitable enough for the silhouettes do be different enough to tell them apart.

I am only for no bewbers for a simple fact of variation of species, nothing else. Just feel it would add an unspoken layer of how the race cultivates itself intimately.

7+ Year Old Account
    The people who whined and moaned about not getting priginal playable snake race have moved on to... another snake race.

You’re right, I guess the Arakkoa would be closer to Indian than Arabic.

Quote Originally Posted by SHUMEGGAH View Post
    The people who whined and moaned about not getting priginal playable snake race have moved on to... another snake race.

Well, they actually have a decent chance at becoming playable, and I personally just like their design more overall anyway.

The cynic in me expects them to be nothing more than quest trash and a crummy transformation toy with a hilariously long cooldown, but Blizzard seems to have wanted some kind of reptilian player race for a while now. I remember them mentioning the possibility of drakonid long ago, and then the dragonmen from Cataclysm were said to be based off unused concept art for a player race.

With vulpera all but confirmed, and sethrak setup as their counterparts, who knows?

10+ Year Old Account
    They look amazing, blizz has a chance to do some amazing shit if they make em playable.

- - - Updated - - -

So they would side with the alliance if they were playable?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Missed View Post
    We're not really getting Vulpera though are we?
    Maybe...they added a shit ton variations to them so it seems they could if they wanted to but then again blizz is known for hook, line, and sinking us.

Bloodsail Admiral CreatureLives's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. I think head gear would work on them. It would look a little derpy but It looks derpy on the Worgen. That's why a lot of Worgen hide their helms.

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    So they would side with the alliance if they were playable?
    Unless vulpera and sethrak both go Horde, which would leave two gaps in the Alliance allied race list.

Horde:
    Zandalari trolls
    Draenor orcs
    Vulpera

Alliance:
    Kul Tirans
    Dark Iron dwarves
    ???

The quilboar have a lot of work put into them, and have every necessary animation courtesy of being based off the tauren rigging. They're also present on Kul Tiras, and their Kalimdor cousins really hate the Horde. I guess it's possible they could be recruited into the Alliance.