Thread: Critical Role

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    That's generally what happens when things go mainstream. It's not CR's fault for making D&D mainstream.

Deleted
    Gatekeepers gonna Gatekeep.

Mercer was talking about this on twitter last week, apparently there are regular threads on /tg/ where they lambast him for "ruining" D&D by making it more accessible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    As for your 2nd question: The socially retarded mouthbreathing neckbeards who want to rape any female NPC (or PC). Bonus points if there's actually a female player among the more populace male players. The ones who make any social interactions uncomfortable and unpleasant with their horrific "personalities".
    I think you'll find, most of those people already know/knew about DnD.

If you've got a problem because of those players, it isn't Critical Roles fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some great combat in episode three!
    Leafcast - <Don't Laugh At My Giraffe> Proudmoore

The newest episode is up on youtube, still no Ashley.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Episode 4 is out on youtube

What did you guys think of this one?

Deleted
    I wonder if the players having more "solo" content like Marisha had is a new thing that Matt is trying out, or if it's something that they did regularly at lower levels in there home game pre stream.

Other than that, pretty heavy RP session, nothing wrong with that, i'm interested to see what everyone picks at level 3 though.

Ashley, Travis, Tal and Sam all have paths to choose, with Marisha seeming pretty set on Way of the Cobalt Soul and Liam/Laura already have picked there subpaths already.

I just wish the Cobalt Soul (which iirc is Matt's homebrew stuff) was published somewhere without having to pay for the Critical Role campaign setting. Mostly Matt sticks to whispers at the table for secret stuff, but I guess he felt he needed to elaborate more. I kind of like the idea of RPing out the choosing of paths.

I don't mind the solo-RP sessions. I think it's appropriate for what is essentially a secret society of monk-dom.

I thought Travis was already a Hexblade? What do warlocks get at 3, their patron? I'd like to see a solo session on that with Travis coming to grips with his new patron.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I thought Travis was already a Hexblade? What do warlocks get at 3, their patron? I'd like to see a solo session on that with Travis coming to grips with his new patron.
    Get's to choose his Pact, can choose Tome, Chain or Blade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    I wonder if the players having more "solo" content like Marisha had is a new thing that Matt is trying out, or if it's something that they did regularly at lower levels in there home game pre stream.
    At some point in Talks it was mentioned that they used to do that, as well as actually physically splitting the party imo. The only thing of that kind they kept in campaign 1 was the whispers, but the new setup is very close to their home game now, with Matt often doing things standing up etc.

Caleb and Knot are quickly becoming my favourite characters.

I wish Talks Machina wasn't gatekept behind yet another subscription service. I'm busy on Tuesday nights.

Thanks OP for the heads up on this. Haven't watched much past first episode but I really enjoy it!

Deleted
    I wish Talks Machina wasn't gatekept behind yet another subscription service. I'm busy on Tuesday nights.
    I know it's not much, but this tumblr posts a summary of what happens during each Talks Machina, I use it to keep up with what goes on during After Dark because that's behind the Alpha paywall and i'm not interested in that.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're welcome! It is fun to see other people enjoying the show as much as I do!

- - - Updated - - -

If you have twitch prime (free with Amazon prime) you can use your free single sub to sub to Geek and Sundry and watch both Critical Role and Talks Machina on twitch after the original airing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Caleb and Knot are quickly becoming my favourite characters.
    I am loving all the characters so far! Knot and Caleb have a really great relationship. I love everything about Jester, she is probably my favorite all around character and Laura plays her so brilliantly (Sketch book, random pranks etc.). Beau had a lot of character progression in episode 4, but she isn't as endearing of a character (by design) and so I'm holding judgement to see how her character arc plays out. I love Travis and Talesin but I feel like we need more exposure to their characters to see them truly develop. I liked Fjord's softer southern accent in episodes 1-2 more than his strong southern drawl he's adopted the last episode in particular, so I'm hoping he levels out into a happy medium.

Not going to spoil last night since it seems like everyone here watches Monday when it's released on YouTube, but another solo session (much shorter this time) and my envy for playing at the table continues. I haven't had a live game in something like 20 years, and every time Matt brings out one of these beautiful, elaborate maps I wish I wasn't just playing a campaign online with former WoW guildies.

Of course, he has a community of thousands buying him miniatures and painting them, so he's pretty lucky in that regard.

10+ Year Old Account

Fun RP, Fun Combat. Overall awesome episode!

Had a lot of fun watching episode 5, especially Little furry unicorns with hamster tails.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having seen them live, and watched the last campaign, I am so excited for this campaign, the characters feel way more flawed then last season.

Character preference for me go:

Fjord > Caleb > Jester > Knott > Molly > Ashley's Character (cant remember name atm) > Beau

Smarter\More charismatic Travis is amazing, and Liam nails Caleb who is in a lot of ways the opposite of Vax (shyer, quieter, super modest). Jester is adorable as fuck, and plays to Laura's personality so well. Beau is beau, by the design the character is hard to like, and then Marisha is just not doing it for me. My wife agrees, she is the weakest character personality-wise by a long mile, and we have only seen Ashley's character twice....
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    Having seen them live, and watched the last campaign, I am so excited for this campaign, the characters feel way more flawed then last season.

Character preference for me go:

Fjord > Caleb > Jester > Knott > Molly > Ashley's Character (cant remember name atm) > Beau

Smarter\More charismatic Travis is amazing, and Liam nails Caleb who is in a lot of ways the opposite of Vax (shyer, quieter, super modest). Jester is adorable as fuck, and plays to Laura's personality so well. Beau is beau, by the design the character is hard to like, and then Marisha is just not doing it for me. My wife agrees, she is the weakest character personality-wise by a long mile, and we have only seen Ashley's character twice....
    I agree with your analysis! I'm hoping that we get to see more of Yasha (Ashley's character). It will be interesting to see how her personality develops differently. Pike was always so cute/adorable/good that she was very easy to like even if she wasn't a consistent player. Yasha being a rough and tough barbarian might make it harder to fall in love with her character.

10+ Year Old Account
    So i watched the most recent episode, and seeing more about Caleb and the fact that he is so hesitant to go out of his way to endanger himself or Knott is amazing. I really want to know what happened to Caleb to make him such a broken man. Also drunk Knott best Knott, watching Sam learn how to Rogue is awesome, and playing it as Arcane Trickster and slowly learning magic is adorable.

I have the biggest man crush on Fjord. The background, the patron, the dialect, everything is amazing. Also the opportunity for Sam to make terrible puns using his name is an added bonus, i swore in the last episode Matt wanted to kill Sam so badly.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.