Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I think it's fair to assume that Varian can't be resurrected because his soul blew on the Broken Shore. That's kind of what Fel magic is about, consuming soul for energy. That was the premise behind the Warcraft movie, anyways.

Whereas Vol'jin had a reasonably normal departure to the spirit world, where we know damn well that Bwomsamdi was going to be waiting for him. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Bwomsamdi himself was the Loa that urged Vol'jin to crown Sylvanas as Warchief, because as far as Bwomsamdi is concerned, that's the decision that's going to keep the flow of souls to the Shadowlands going. It could be an easy "Thanks for killing thousands for me Sylvanas, here's ya boi Vol'jin back".

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    Genn, maybe?
    What is it with people's hard-on for seeing Genn die?

Just because he's old doesn't mean he should die. His character arc hasn't even remotely finished. After Sylvanas croaks, then he can die. But his vengeance still needs to be complete.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Varian's ashes were scattered by the wind Vol'jins were not. Trolls are well known for ressuerections humans are not. Also all the Loa love Vol'jin hes probably their most respected Troll.
    If cremation doesn't mean anything than how do you explain all of the quests we've done in the past where we have burned various troll bodies so they can't be resurrected?

That would mean all the times we did burn their bodies would literally have been meaningless life risking efforts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's fair to assume that Varian can't be resurrected because his soul blew on the Broken Shore. That's kind of what Fel magic is about, consuming soul for energy. That was the premise behind the Warcraft movie, anyways.

Whereas Vol'jin had a reasonably normal departure to the spirit world, where we know damn well that Bwomsamdi was going to be waiting for him.
    While fel magic can destroy souls I doubt Gul'dan did in this case. He would want Varian to see what was going to happen to the Alliance and Azeroth from the Afterlife. Hes sick like that.

They could have had the Alliance be the assholes for once. You know something new instead of the same damn plot since Warcraft 1.
    But they did have the Alliance be the assholes for once. The Alliance started this war with Sylvanas in Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    Vol'jin was cremated, if he can come back from that then there is literally no excuse why Varian couldn't be returned to the living in some way.
    No, because the Alliance needs some leadership to die too.

10+ Year Old Account
    If cremation doesn't mean anything than how do you explain all of the quests we've done in the past where we have burned various troll bodies so they can't be resurrected?

That would mean all the times we did burn their bodies would literally have been meaningless life risking efforts.
    I don't remember any quest about burning trolls to stop resurrections. Not that it matters we have seen Trolls taking bodies of other trolls for their own so no cremation does not stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    But they did have the Alliance be the assholes for once. The Alliance started this war with Sylvanas in Legion.
    It's true but it's also technically meaningless until the narrative actually acknowledges it.

- - - Updated - - -

Got a source? Not doubting this, just curious.

They could have had the Alliance be the assholes for once. You know something new instead of the same damn plot since Warcraft 1.
    um have you not done the silithus quest chain?

the alliance started killing goblns. both factions acknowledge that the goblins found the azerite,

horde quessts are stop the alliance killing our goblins,

alliance side is infiltrate and kill the horde so we can set up shop and get the azerite.

literally the alliance started it.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you guys think that the recently datamined Zandalari Omen text foreshadows a Vol'jin resurrection?

http://www.wowhead.com/news=281635/b...-text-spoilers

But there's also a contrary omen.

Based on some of language, I wonder if the alternate omens are for Horde and Alliance, respectively. If that's the case, I think Vol'jin will get resurrected in Horde questing, and an established character is going to die in Alliance questing. Genn, maybe?
    also dont think it would be Genn,

seeming as the quest chain states, ELF HEAD.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

Unfortunately, while the death of a new friend may refer to Vol'jin, the resurrection of a former friend must definitely be the Thunder King. The Thunder King was resurrected by Zandalari hand, and was an ally in the past. The golden waters also hint of Pandaria and the sacred waters of its golden valley.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfdrop View Post
    It's true but it's also technically meaningless until the narrative actually acknowledges it.

- - - Updated - - -

Got a source? Not doubting this, just curious.
    http://www.wowhead.com/quest=9193/in...mani-catacombs

That one...plus I keep thinking there is at least one somewhere in WotLK too but I can't remember where it was offhand.

Just as Vol'jin's death was the bring forth Sylvanas and lay the foundation leading up to BfA.
    I think you misunderstand the word Meaningful. Varian's death was an epic moment, incredibly fitting for the character in which he makes the ultimate self-sacrifice for the sake of his faction — and he is very specific that it was for his faction and meant to be a badass moment, yes, but one that shows how instantly the factions could be divided by a misunderstanding. Vol'jin's death was not meaningful. It was Plot Furthering, sure. It wasn't meaningful or rather that his death was to facilitate a moment for Sylvanas.

You bring back Varian, you take away his Sacrifice, you make that entire stand not be a moment where he puts everything on the line but one where he had to do a prolonged graveyard run.
    You bring back Vol'jin? Power is already in Sylvanas's hands, so that doesn't change. Sylvanas still called for the retreat putting her most valuable assets — the Val'kyr — at risk to do so. You take nothing away from Sylvanas and you take nothing away from Vol'jin.

The fact that both died does make their deaths in anyway similar but I'm guessing from the Dragonball picture as your icon, you aren't fond of major characters actually dying.

Also, my guess is that if Vol'jin is going to come back, Rastakhan will die and Talanji takes over for the Zandalar (hence the death of the new friend)
    One day I look forward to seeing full grown adults realize that their averse reactions to levity and positive/contemplative expressions of emotion are a cry for therapy.

Varians had more 3 expansions more time as leader of the alliance. vuljin did nothing and died. I say bring him back. He got shafted.

Err you realize that's to stop them coming back as Undead, not Living? Only the Trolls intentionally left with their minds come back Undead as themselves, otherwise their bodies are just mindless husks.
    One day I look forward to seeing full grown adults realize that their averse reactions to levity and positive/contemplative expressions of emotion are a cry for therapy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faerillis View Post
    snip away the bias
    "having a serious, important, or useful quality or purpose."

Lets see...his death was serious...it was important as it meant the transition from the do nothing Warchief to Sylvanas...I may hate the bitch but she has had more purpose than Vol'jin ever did.

So no...I'm not misunderstanding the meaning of meaningful in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdrop View Post
    I'm sure they will, but before BFA was announced, even in the first month of Legion, we were discussing how there's going to be a war between the Alliance and Horde. So BFA can't be unrelated to what Genn did in Stormheim if BFA was so predictable because of it.

If they do gloss over that and never mention it again, i would be quite surprised, but that could also be because blizzard thinks everyone should know what they're thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

"having a serious, important, or useful quality or purpose."

Lets see...his death was serious...it was important as it meant the transition from the do nothing Warchief to Sylvanas...I may hate the bitch but she has had more purpose than Vol'jin ever did.

So no...I'm not misunderstanding the meaning of meaningful in any way.
    I really don't want him back at all, but I have to agree that his death didn't do him any justice and felt like Blizzard's way of saying they wanted Sylvanas to be warchief so they kinda just made Voljin the stepping stone for it(no way Thrall was gonna make her warchief)... feel bad for the character in that regard, but if we're bringing back and Troll, it's gotta be Zul'jin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    um have you not done the silithus quest chain?

the alliance started killing goblns. both factions acknowledge that the goblins found the azerite,

horde quessts are stop the alliance killing our goblins,

alliance side is infiltrate and kill the horde so we can set up shop and get the azerite.

literally the alliance started it.
    Yeah but I don't think killing goblins warrants burning down a faction city as a response. Kinda overkill unless they do something else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faerillis View Post
    Err you realize that's to stop them coming back as Undead, not Living? Only the Trolls intentionally left with their minds come back Undead as themselves, otherwise their bodies are just mindless husks.
    Woosh...went right over didn't it?

Point is no one can return ashes to life...not the Amani and not even the all might Scourge, you know...masters of Undeath. How would it makes sense when even the Scourge couldn't do it that the Zandalari can?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    I'm sure they will, but before BFA was announced, even in the first month of Legion, we were discussing how there's going to be a war between the Alliance and Horde. So BFA can't be unrelated to what Genn did in Stormheim if BFA was so predictable because of it.

If they do gloss over that and never mention it again, i would be quite surprised, but that could also be because blizzard thinks everyone should know what they're thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

I really don't want him back at all, but I have to agree that his death didn't do him any justice and felt like Blizzard's way of saying they wanted Sylvanas to be warchief so they kinda just made Voljin the stepping stone for it(no way Thrall was gonna make her warchief)... feel bad for the character in that regard, but if we're bringing back and Troll, it's gotta be Zul'jin
    I liked Vol'jin...but they really made him a completely meaningless Warchief and he was just a steppingstone towards Sylvanas pretty much.

5+ Year Old Account
    It's a mixture of past, present, and future.

Pa'ku's shadow crosses a stone path...
    Pa'ku is the new pterrordax loa.

Masks of gold...
    A reference to Zuldazar, obviously.

Ancient waters, undisturbed for generations...
    N'Zoth in his prison, most likely.

A severed elf's head...
    Sylvanas? Tyrande? Malfurion? So many possibilities.

All the troll tribes, united under the Zandalari banner...
    Already happened, in Throne of Thunder. If we excuse the Darkspear.

A large egg, shaking wildly, but not cracking...
    Since I have no idea, let's assume it's metaphorical: Wrathion, still a baby/whelp, being tempted by N'Zoth but not succumbing.

A rising sun over golden water...
    The rebirth of Zandalar through their alliance with the Horde.

A resurrection of former friend...
    Now, this could be a bit of sloppy writing. Or, it could be intentional. Note how it says "former," not "old," friend. So someone who was once our friend being resurrected. Again, assuming this is not just sloppy word usage, my money is on someone other than Vol'jin. Someone who changed sides or betrayed us.

A good omen of strength, power, and success.
    A good omen of prosperity and heritage.
    A good omen of expansion and da growth of our people. Interesting it should be given ta ya...
    These lines are just a summarization of the above.

A river of blood, with corpses floating upstream...
    A reference to Nazmir, from what we know based on the hints we've seen in text.

A brutosaur drowning in blood.
    The Blood Trolls could be exterminating all life in Nazmir for their rituals. That, and/or G'huun rising from Uldir and killing everything.

A broken throne of fire and ice...
    Something is going to happen in Icecrown. Bolvar is fire, the throne is ice.

A human ship, landing on our shores...
    The Alliance incursion into Zuldazar, and perhaps a specific ship. I'm betting Jaina's.

Two priests killing each other.
    Anduin dies to kill Zul? They're both Priests, as I recall.

A cracked vase, leaking wine.
    This seems Nightborne to me, given how integral arcwine was to them. Maybe something happens in Suramar. An Alliance raid?

A setting sun in the dark swamps of Nazmir.
    Time is short, G'huun awakens.

The death of a new friend.
    Could be plenty of people. Not Greymane, as he's very old news by now. Maybe Talanji?

A dark omen for all of us...
    A darkness rises that will consume even the strongest among us. Including ya.
    Leaders divided are not leaders at all. Ya must work with ya rivals, or suffer da consequences.
    Another summarization. Horde and Alliance will have to come together for Happy Fun-Time World-Saving again.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I hope not he’s like the worse possible troll.

- - - Updated - - -

With aduin in charge the chances of that are 0 no one would follow glen and none of the other alliance leaders are dicks.

But then some Alliance player would cry because they don't get to be the knights in shining armor that always win.

I'm not sure about Vol'jin being legit resurrected (that would mean his death would have been, quite literally, a plot device to get old Sylv as Warchief and nothing else) but coming back an active spirit advisor to whoever is currently ruling the Darkspear seems like a better fate for him. Or hell even a Loa, that would be sweet.