Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Ye, I saw.

https://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/l...-g20aj-review/

This is a special case, not at all like our own enthusiast rigs. I don't see what the OP can do in this case except reapplying TIM and cleaning the CPU fans a bit.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    77 degrees is no problem for a haswell CPU. Even a Noctua D15 will have problems keeping a 4790 below 70 degrees at all times.

That said, if 77 degrees is only at a moderate load, you might wanna check if you can tweak fan curves etc to be more aggressive( although at the cost of more noise), as the CPU could then possibly go above 90 degrees at high load, and a haswell CPU starts throttling at, I think, ~95 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    77 degrees is no problem for a haswell CPU. Even a Noctua D15 will have problems keeping a 4790 below 70 degrees at all times.

That said, if 77 degrees is only at a moderate load, you might wanna check if you can tweak fan curves etc to be more aggressive( although at the cost of more noise), as the CPU could then possibly go above 90 degrees at high load, and a haswell CPU starts throttling at, I think, ~95 degrees.
    This is exactly what I said as well, but I guess you need to be educated by that guy too.

Also G20AJ cpu is being cooled by dual mini turbines similar to what they do in "gaming" laptops. For some reason people need to compare it to their home big towers or, god forbid me, open stand test reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    I have a 4770k overclocked to 4.5 GHz, and the biggest temp I have seen in summertime and while playing GTA V, a game maybe 4 or 5 times more intensive for the CPU and GPU than WoW Retail, is a mere 65 C.

My freaking CPU didn't even hit 77C when I was stress-testing it with PRIME and AVX instructions on.

A 4790 should never under any circumstances be that hot at stock, considering it's not even an overclockable CPU and the VCORE is fixed to around 1.18V max.
    You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Please, stop giving people advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    This is exactly what I said as well, but I guess you need to be educated by that guy too.

Also G20AJ cpu is being cooled by dual mini turbines similar to what they do in "gaming" laptops. For some reason people need to compare it to their home big towers or, god forbid me, open stand test reviews.
    Exactly.

No, actually I know my stuff pretty well and everything I said was right on.

What Shakadam said about the Noctua cooler is quite simply, false.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Except every actual review disagrees with your anecdotal "evidence".

Actually you said 77 is nothing under load and you’d be right if you were talking about an air cooled CPU during a full load stress test. However the OP clearly states that they’re at 77 degrees running WoW and teamspeak which is a moderate load at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    However the OP clearly states that they’re at 77 degrees running WoW and teamspeak which is a moderate load at best.
    I like how you're only highlighting parts that is beneficial for your position completely ignoring how fucking atrocious cooling system on Asus rog g20aj in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account

What Shakadam said about the Noctua cooler is quite simply, false.
    Well that's cute.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/.../NH-D15/6.html

Notice how it's an i7 4770k, so the 4790 would sit somewhere in between the stock 4770k and the OC'ed at 4,2Ghz.

Notice how the stock version hits 60 degrees in AIDA64, also notice how the 4,2Ghz hits 69 degrees. A 4790 @ 4,0Ghz would be ~65 degrees in that scenario.
    Also notice how the stock 4770k hits 71 degrees in max load.

Also notice how the whole test is done on an open air test rig. Put the whole thing into any computer case with extremely good airflow and you'll still be adding at least +~4 degrees to all values, most likely more than that.

Now tell me again how wrong I am.

I like how you're only highlighting parts that is beneficial for your position completely ignoring how fucking atrocious cooling system on Asus rog g20aj in the first place.
    I think you’re confusing your comments with mine. I’m not the one who stated that 77c is fine under load without ever defining “load” in context with the OPs issue. A load isn’t all or nothing. Again, your statement would be accurate if we were talking about prime.

You’re free handle your system however you want. I think it’s batshit crazy to let a CPU get anywhere close to throttling temps. Just because it can doesn’t mean it should. I prefer not replacing components every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.