Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rukya View Post
    History tells us that black people are better 100m runners

History tells us that the best nba players are mainly black

Pick the best simple as that

Racists and people that want quotas are fuckin retards
    Again. There's no suggestion they didn't pick the best. That implication is entirely imaginary, and only emerges if you already hold prejudiced viewpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    People in general are so frigging annoying these days that I am not very tolerant about anything or anyone anymore...
    If people being annoying is what it takes to make you intolerant, then I seriously doubt you were tolerant in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Right, but none of that follows from the official's statement. It's entirely manufactured in the minds of prejudiced people who automatically assume that "diversity" means a reduction of quality/strength, because obviously straight white people are just better.

If you don't have that objectively prejudiced opinion driving your thinking, there is absolutely nothing about recognizing diversity that is in any remote way an indication that the quality of the athletes on the team has suffered.
    That may be the case for some people but you're being completely out of touch if you think that everyone who is iffy about things when they hear affirmative action is in place is only iffy about it because obviously straight white people are better choices.

Honest question to anyone who can answer it, is there a barrier in the Olympics for, specifically, non-white people? Genuinely curious. There are a lot of sports that are dominated by black people and it's accepted that they are just generally the best at said sport, so it doesn't make much sense to have a prejudice against black athletes for the Olympics when they are celebrated as athletes in sports leagues. Not talking about other groups in this case just specifically black athletes. Or does this mostly apply to other groups? Interested in any insight from someone who knows about this stuff!
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    watch for entertainment and relaxation.
    Yep, legitimately sick of the political grandstanding at these events.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again. There's no suggestion they didn't pick the best. That implication is entirely imaginary, and only emerges if you already hold prejudiced viewpoints.
    People get that impression when that is the main thing being touted about a group. Not "here's the greatest people we found!" but "look how diverse we are this year!"

It's both on the people selling it, and buying it.

Sure some people will assume it no matter what, and they are assholes. But if you're selling it as being diverse, not as being your best team, it sounds like the selling point of the people was their group status not their abilities.
    give up dat booty
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

All these big news networks are hot garbage pushing their agenda.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    All these big news networks are hot garbage pushing their agenda.
    I would agree with this.
    give up dat booty
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

HMMMMMmmmm.

If there was any evidence that people on the team were chosen for their diversity-quota, over other more abled athletes, then he'd have a point. As it stands, I would say assuming people are just on the team because of their minority status was pretty bigoted.

That said, after reading the Washington Post article that it was linked to, it does sound like affirmative action is definitely something they're at least considering, if not implementing already. "The USOC now requires each sport’s governing body to submit a diversity scorecard each year.. [which] include benchmarks and goals, the results offer statistical snapshots of each sport and, especially for the winter offerings, underscore the areas that are lacking."

IMO, equality is equality of opportunity. I don't believe equality of outcome is real equality at all. Given that by far the biggest hurdle for anybody training for the Winter olympics is geography, it would be difficult to have "benchmarks and goals" they can work towards without pushing equality of outcome instead.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Technically the men's ice hockey teams aren't the best in the world. As the NHL wouldn't let the NHL players take off and go.... But that has nothing to do with diversity or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    People get that impression when that is the main thing being touted about a group. Not "here's the greatest people we found!" but "look how diverse we are this year!"

It's both on the people selling it, and buying it.

Sure some people will assume it no matter what, and they are assholes. But if you're selling it as being diverse, not as being your best team, it sounds like the selling point of the people was their group status not their abilities.
    Again, the fact that these are the Olympic athletes for this year's Winter Olympics already says they're the best team you can pull together. Noting that it's also the most diverse it's been doesn't remotely take away from that.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    See, the thing about that is, they're no longer deliberately excluding athletes for being gay, or the "wrong ethnicity", or whatever. So you ARE getting the best possible athletes, without an anti-diversity agenda in place.

But when you're so deep in your own racist/homophobic rabbit hole that you just have to find reasons to be upset that gay people and non-whites exist and aren't mistreated, you can't see the simple truth for what it is.
    To be fair, it shouldn't matter what ethnicity or gender an athlete is, if they are competing to be the best, then they are the best regardless of their skin colour. The best male swimmer of all time happens to be a white man, I don't see how that is any different than the best short track runner being a black man. What race they are doesn't matter, and that is the problem I have personally with identity politics, is that people think that race and gender matters for some reason. It doesn't, I respect an athlete, scientist, doctor or whatever, by their performance, and I wish more people would pull their heads out of their asses and do the same.

And as far as physicality goes, there is enough scientific backing to suggest that athletes of certain ethnicities are actually better at certain sports due to their physiology. African's are traditionally better runners both short and long distance because getting around on foot is something that has been commonplace among their society for thousands of years, not to mention have longer leg length for a bigger stride. Just like you are more likely to see Asians dominating at gymnastics events, because they have less muscle density on average and more flexible/lithe than us white people. I'd say if anything, we are the least likely to excel at sports due to our physiology than people of other ethnicities.

Our Olympic team should be the best person in the USA at any given sport. I don't care what color or sex or sexuality they are or their "story". So I guess I agree with Fox.

10+ Year Old Account
    given this is already going into race, and the topic itself ties too much into race for a warning to suffice, Im closing this