Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb What supplements do u guys use?

Plz list ur stack and which ones you think give you the biggest benefits
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I'm not a fan of weight gainers/protein powders or creatine supplements because the body can only absorb so much. I get enough protein by eating quality organic foods (this is usually the case if you're eating right and not skipping meals!).

Post workouts are a different story though. The supplement I take is called EAS Myoplex BCAA + Electrolytes.

My nootropic stack includes

- Noopept
    - Alpha GPC (Choline replenishment). Must be taken in conjunction with any nootropic to prevent headaches and possible brain fog.
    - Ginkgo biloba extract
    Last edited by SLSAMG; 2018-02-08 at 12:40 PM.

Typically just Whey and/or Muscle Milk. These are really just food*, in powdered form. I don't necessarily consume them every day, and they're really more of a high protein snack.

*Food = "any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink, or that plants absorb, in order to maintain life and growth."

I'm also known to use vitamin D and fish oil.

I've tried lots of other things, so my supplement shelf is much bigger than that. But most just sit there, because they do nothing. (Nothing except make my wallet smaller.)

Whey protein (myprotein impact whey, usually Chocolate Stevia flavour)

Creatine (myprotein creatine monohydrate)

Multivitamin (myprotein alpha men)

Preworkout - have tried a few but myprotein MyPre is tasty, cheap and gives me a decent pump (I have a really low caffeine response, but the AAKG is nice).

10+ Year Old Account
    Protein shake, multivitamins and vitamin D. Would use creatine but there's a study about hair loss which stops me haha. Keep meaning to look into pre workouts but keep forgetting.

Depends what your goal is but I think the protein shake is the most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Protein shake, multivitamins and vitamin D. Would use creatine but there's a study about hair loss which stops me haha. Keep meaning to look into pre workouts but keep forgetting.

Depends what your goal is but I think the protein shake is the most important.
    Except it's not. Even bodybuilders that compete will tell you that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SLSAMG View Post
    Except it's not. Even bodybuilders that compete will tell you that.
    You mean bodybuilders that take testosterone, growth hormone, trenbolone, and loads of other crap? Yeah no shit it's not going to be most important for them. For the average joe doing work in the gym it's a lot different, it's an easy way to hit your daily protein target (which is very important) without consuming a lot of extra cals, fat, sugar etc and at a low cost. So yes it is important.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean bodybuilders that take testosterone, growth hormone, trenbolone, and loads of other crap? Yeah no shit it's not going to be most important for them. For the average joe doing work in the gym it's a lot different, it's an easy way to hit your daily protein target (which is very important) without consuming a lot of extra cals, fat, sugar etc and at a low cost. So yes it is important.

Please... Most of the protein powders are stuffed with so much extra crap, and are loaded with calories. Not ideal if you're cutting and trying to build lean mass (which is what most people want). In most cases, they're only last resorts for people who skip meals (which is bad) because one should never be replacing a quality meal with shakes in the first place. If you're lazy, you're going to do it regardless - and you'll be deluding yourself into believing it's a "healthy alternative".

The only time I'd ever recommend whey protein concentrates/isolates is for someone who has a very difficult time putting on mass whilst also eating a balanced diet (eating six smaller portions a day). And even then, they should only be drinking a slow release protein shake before bedtime.

And if you're taking creatine? You better be drinking a gallon of water a day or you're basically wasting your money.
    Last edited by SLSAMG; 2018-02-09 at 07:00 AM.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Who eats 6-8 small meals per day ain't no one gone time for that shit
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Who eats 6-8 small meals per day ain't no one gone time for that shit

Then you don't have time to be working out either if you can't prepare meals beforehand. Honestly, what the fuck was the point of your post? There's lots of solid advise here.

Are you the village idiot of mmo-champion?

People eat smaller more frequent meals because it's better for metabolism. 6 small > 3 big.
    Last edited by SLSAMG; 2018-02-09 at 11:50 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    BCAAs and creatine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SLSAMG View Post

Please... Most of the protein powders are stuffed with so much extra crap, and are loaded with calories. Not ideal if you're cutting and trying to build lean mass (which is what most people want). In most cases, they're only last resorts for people who skip meals (which is bad) because one should never be replacing a quality meal with shakes in the first place. If you're lazy, you're going to do it regardless - and you'll be deluding yourself into believing it's a "healthy alternative".

The only time I'd ever recommend whey protein concentrates/isolates is for someone who has a very difficult time putting on mass whilst also eating a balanced diet (eating six smaller portions a day). And even then, they should only be drinking a slow release protein shake before bedtime.

And if you're taking creatine? You better be drinking a gallon of water a day or you're basically wasting your money.
    No they're not... don't know what crap proteins you've had but they are essential to build muscle if you're on a budget/struggling for time/need extra protein at short notice/want an easy alternative. Loaded with calories, are you sure you don't mean mass gainer? Protein shakes are not loaded with calories.

Creatine? No, I don't use it. If you're not drinking at least 2-3 litres a day whilst doing weights/cardio, you're wasting your time anyway, your strength and gains will probably be a lot lower than what they could be because you are dehydrated.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I use none, and I think they are unhealthy/potentially dangerous.

The body has no need for that much pure protein.

Protein from meat is so much better as well because it also has amino acids which are important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    I use none, and I think they are unhealthy/potentially dangerous.

The body has no need for that much pure protein.

Protein from meat is so much better as well because it also has amino acids which are important.
    Well, you are supposed to get 1.5x your weight in kgs in grams of protein per day (think that's what it is can't remember), so unless you're getting that already then it is needed.

Yeah protein from meat is better, but it's also higher in calories, fats, salt, etc etc. Not to mention good lean meat can be damn expensive if you're trying to have it all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    BCAA and whey 80/100 protein.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, you are supposed to get 1.5x your weight in kgs in grams of protein per day (think that's what it is can't remember), so unless you're getting that already then it is needed.

Yeah protein from meat is better, but it's also higher in calories, fats, salt, etc etc. Not to mention good lean meat can be damn expensive if you're trying to have it all the time.
    A good diet is expensive and time consuming but its far more effective than parlour tricks from very well marketed lolly jars that have god knows what in them

10+ Year Old Account
    A good diet is expensive and time consuming but its far more effective than parlour tricks from very well marketed lolly jars that have god knows what in them
    They are not well marketed lolly jars that have 0 effect, it's not like weight loss pills or some crap.

7+ Year Old Account
    They are not well marketed lolly jars that have 0 effect, it's not like weight loss pills or some crap.
    Excess protein stores as fat. Which is pretty much what is gonna happen with people chugging shakes on top of a normal diet.

The body really doesnt need much protein unless they struggle to gain weight because of a super effective metabolism

10+ Year Old Account
    Excess protein stores as fat. Which is pretty much what is gonna happen with people chugging shakes on top of a normal diet.
    Why would you chug shakes if you're already getting the protein you need? You wouldn't. You're only drinking shakes if you're struggling to hit your daily protein target.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why would you chug shakes if you're already getting the protein you need? You wouldn't. You're only drinking shakes if you're struggling to hit your daily protein target.
    I guess you can look at it that way. But are you aware how insulin works in the body? Diabetics eventually suffer from their insulin levels being insufficient because the body cannot produce enough so they need to regulate their insulin levels through treatment. If they use too much insulin the body starts to not respond to the treatment. Why do you think pure concentrate protein would be any different where potentially the body could stop responding to breaking down the protein because of the delivery and protein mass. Thats how most things work with the body, you use too much it starts coming back on you in ways you never imagine