View Poll Results: Have you ever been Catfished or known anybody who has?

Voters
20. This poll is closed
  • Yes. I have been online in games, known others have to.

4 20.00%
  • No, Never happen, know of those who have

5 25.00%
  • No, never happened to me, don't know anybody who has.

9 45.00%
  • I am the catfish or Other (Post Comment below)

2 10.00%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Have you ever been Catfished or known anybody who has?

Have you ever been Catfished or known anybody who has been?

What was your or someone else you known experience?

Follow up

What do you conconsider Catfishing and why do you think people do it?

Personally it has never happened to me, because I have never gotten involved with anybody I didn't know offline, that being said being in a guild a number of years it wouldn't be too uncommon for a "Girl without a Mic" LOL to be in the guild and ultimately taking someone for a ride. I am not sure if that is technically Catfishing or not.

I also have an inlaw of an extended relative who believe that or rather STILL believes she is in a romantic relationship and exchange via Facebook with Keith Sweat and has sent him or rather them Money.

I do understand people have blind spots, but some stories I have heard are hard to understand why some would do it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Didn't even know what "Catfished" meant, had a thought though but not 100% correct.

I've never been catfished but I have pretended to be a girl from time to time. Generally due to people assuming I am one so, I just go along, curious to how they will treat me. It's interesting. I've not used it to get loot or other benefits though, that's below me.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Deleted
    What does Catfished mean? I didn't know and since OP doesn't include a description:

Being deceived over facebook as the deceiver professed their romantic feelings to his/her victim, but isn't who they say they are.
    No, I'm also not active on these social media / dating platforms.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not really. Not on a dating site. Not that I know of anyway.

But an online friend I played WoW with told me he's a girl until I figured out that he's not.

I suspected that he's a man, and actually managed to find his Facebook by doing some real detective work. I combined a bunch of screnshots he sent me with Google searches and his nicknames he used through the time we played and came up with a real name.
    I wasn't 100% sure it was him (but 90%), so I came up with a trap.

I told him we're friends playing WoW anyway and that he should admit. But he didn't want to speak about it. I told him that I will give him proof I know who he is.
    I didn't want to use the Facebook profile I found before. I wanted him to believe that I have found him regardless if the above find is him or not.
    So used one of those fake Facebook links which only show you your own profile when you click on them. And I sent it to him telling him that I know it's him but can't add him as friend because of some bug. I told him to add me on Facebook so we can just normally continue playing WoW without pretending.
    When he clicked on the link it of course shown him his own profile. The trap was complete and my detective work proved to be correct. I found the right person from the beginning XD

We're still good friends, but he's about to have a kid and get married so we don't play together.

On a side note, I don't understand why men pretend to be women.

Someone tried but i saw straight through them

It was when i was on a dating website and some scammer got me talking and eventually told me a BS story how her family was killed in Africa and she would love me forever if i sent her money.

In the end i told 'Her' that i hope he would catch ebola and to never contact me again though i did kinda wish i couldve strung him along a bit longer but i got bored so thats how i ended it.

I have been succesfully catfished by a girl who pretended to be a guy because she had developed a crush on me based on a couple of pictures I had posted on the guild's forums and "my voice" (this is the most hilarious part, because my voice is universally recognized as garbage). At first I fell for it because even though she never talked on TS, she produced some legit timestamped pictures of some guy who I assume she asked or tricked into making, and we even traded some borderline-lewd pictures. But it eventually got to a point where my pressure for her to get a microphone cracked her and she confessed. I was very pissed at first, exposed her on the forums, had her kicked from the guild and all, but we ended up slowly becoming friends for some reason.

Never happened to me or anyone I know. But I think I am to old to really have been sucked into this current game on the internet and haven't been single in over a decade and a half.

I used to do this when I was a kid to prank the hell out of guys. This was back in the 90's when people on the internet were even more naive and innocent than they are now.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Some complete stranger asked for sex over facebook is that what this is about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post

On a side note, I don't understand why men pretend to be women.
    Like catfish, they usually do it to get free stuff.

Never happened to me unless you count beautiful girls from other countries responding to your online dating profile, but I just ignored those. Seen it happen to someone though, actually it's happening right now to a custodian at work and I don't have the heart to tell him or maybe he's the one doing the cat fishing, I don't want to get involved. I only know about it because he asked me questions about apps and facebook and shows me the girl he's been talking too. He's married, in his 50's and smells like a chimney, the girl is in her 20s and way too beautiful. I haven't said anything to anyone in my office either because I don't like to gossip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post

Have you ever been Catfished or known anybody who has been?

What was your or someone else you known experience?

Follow up

What do you conconsider Catfishing and why do you think people do it?

Personally it has never happened to me, because I have never gotten involved with anybody I didn't know offline, that being said being in a guild a number of years it wouldn't be too uncommon for a "Girl without a Mic" LOL to be in the guild and ultimately taking someone for a ride. I am not sure if that is technically Catfishing or not.

I also have an inlaw of an extended relative who believe that or rather STILL believes she is in a romantic relationship and exchange via Facebook with Keith Sweat and has sent him or rather them Money.

I do understand people have blind spots, but some stories I have heard are hard to understand why some would do it.
    I feel like that could happen on here. A lot of women posters make me wonder if they really are women. Their views are vastly different from women I meet IRL.

No, I just have shit luck with women in general on dating sites. Though I guess some guys would call it good luck. Last one I was talking to over a couple weeks. Really getting along, met for dinner and got to know each-other (my town is 3 hours from seattle) so we were talking on video chat and for some reason I cracked some joke about her taking her top off...like really blunt, obviously a joke. She's like "sure" and off it went, caught really off guard lol. Turns out she was an ex-camgirl and had no problem with taking her clothes off, she was kind of hurt when I wasn't really interested anymore. She swore it was all solo stuff but wasn't what I was looking for. Part of me thinks I should have gotten over it and quit being so prudish as she was really cool and we clicked aside from that, though I feel it was a pretty big thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    I feel like that could happen on here. A lot of women posters make me wonder if they really are women. Their views are vastly different from women I meet IRL.
    @Winter Blossom
    @Megitsune
    @Freighter
    @Katie N
    @Player Twelve
    @Algy
    @Splenda
    @Everything Nice
    @Amirila
    @Katsuii
    @Vanyali
    @Rorcanna
    @Linadra
    @Iliyra
    @Erin
    @Izalla
    @sefrimutro

Infracted
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2018-02-09 at 11:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    ??? Uh, I am a woman.
    Is he asking us to verify we are female? I don't get it either
    give up dat booty
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    For a feminist you sure seem shocked that women are individuals rather than a hivemind. Step up your game or Trudeau will have to spank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Idk, maybe we missed a secret meeting or something. Who was responsible for sending out the texts!?
    To be honest I wasn't even aware I was "well known" enough to come to someone's mind when making a list of random female posters >.>
    give up dat booty
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    For a feminist you sure seem shocked that women are individuals rather than a hivemind. Step up your game or Trudeau will have to spank you.

- - - Updated - - -

To be honest I wasn't even aware I was "well known" enough to come to someone's mind when making a list of random female posters >.>
    I know but IRL there is some level of unity on certain issues. It's really strange to come online and see some female posters basically espousing MGTOW views. That doesn't seem normal unless of course they actually aren't women in the first place.

I've played WoW and other online video games to know that sometimes people pretend to be the other gender..

Deleted
    You never do anything for women, you just fake being batman...