Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy Link revealed between obesity and male infertility

More information has come to light about how obesity can affect male infertility in a recent study.

It was already known that obesity can cause problems in couples who wish to reproduce, but now Chinese researchers say they think the reason this happens is because obese men tend to have higher inflammatory markers in their semen and their sperm is of poorer quality.

Whilst research shows obesity can have an effect on fertility, it is not the only factor. Furthermore, if you are overweight, there is a lot that can be done to benefit your health which may improve fertility.

An effective way of losing weight can be to follow a low carb diet, which can also help lower blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes or even put the condition into remission.

The study involved comparing the reproductive organs of obese mice against those at a healthy weight. The researchers from Shanghai Jiao Tong University, School of Medicine in China found higher levels of inflammatory proteins in the obese mice and lower levels of testosterone.

They then moved on to look at human semen samples donated by nearly 272 men. Of these, 150 were overweight, 40 were obese and a further 82 men were of a healthy weight. As they had found in the mice, the men who were overweight or obese had higher levels of inflammatory proteins.

The researchers found that sperm concentration and motility (the ability to move properly) was significantly decreased in the overweight and obese men. The decreases correlated with increasing BMI, meaning that the greater the BMI, the greater the reductions in sperm concentraton and motility.

Lead study researcher Zhide Ding from the Shanghai Jiao Tong University, School of Medicine in China, said: "Obesity is a serious problem in modern society and both obesity and male infertility rates continue to increase. Reducing BMI is important in improving male fertility."

The findings have provided valuable answers for researchers who seek treatment for male infertility, although more work must be carried out to explore the subject further.

The researchers said their discovery could also aid future therapies developed to enhance a man's fertility.

The results appear in the journal Frontiers in Physiology.
    Yikes. This is no good. I recall reading recently that male infertility was a growing problem in the West. At the same time Obesity has been rising. I wonder if there is a link.

On the positive side, maybe this could spur some larger folk to start losing weight and improve their health?

15+ Year Old Account
    Your balls get crushed by fat.

But it maybe is a good thing, if you're fat and have bad genes, you shouldn't procreate?

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah no shit, ladies don't like fat men
    Me not that kind of Orc!

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    On the positive side, maybe this could spur some larger folk to start losing weight and improve their health?
    Doubtful. 10char

So, what you are saying is that men should become obese and they don't have to worry about paying child support for a child they never wanted?

@Tennis
    Also, to add on top of that if you are an overweight female its harder to get pregnant and the risks are higher as well.

Source: my sister in law is a fat whale.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    So, what you are saying is that men should become obese and they don't have to worry about paying child support for a child they never wanted?
    Lol! Good one.

I know some fat people who had several children. I think King Henry the 8th, fathered several children.

Henry VIII of England had several children. The best-known are the three legitimate children who survived Henry and succeeded him as monarchs of England successively, Edward VI, Mary I and Elizabeth I.

His first two wives, Catherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn, had several pregnancies that ended in stillbirth, miscarriage, or death in infancy. Henry acknowledged one illegitimate child, Henry FitzRoy, as his own, but is suspected to have fathered several illegitimate children by different mistresses

And he was a fat sucker.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2018-02-10 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Your balls get crushed by fat.

But it maybe is a good thing, if you're fat and have bad genes, you shouldn't procreate?
    But what if such person is super smart? Are looks more important than intelect in 21st century when it comes to passing on the genes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Lol! Good one.

I know some fat people who had several children. I think King Henry the 8th, fathered several children?
    Yea honestly it should be

Male infertility can be caused by millions of things.

Oh and back to the fat bashing train... meanwhile we are making tons of threads sitting on our asses.

Deleted
    Extra weight puts toll on body, what shocking news!!!! ZOMG!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    Yeah no shit, ladies don't like fat men
    What about the opposite way around?

10+ Year Old Account
    Tasty form of birth control.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Deleted
    Tennis never does anything... he just blames worlds problems on others.

Who wants to have sex with fat men anyways? they sweat and fart more.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I'd rather imbeciles who repeatedly create blanket fat-shaming threads not procreate. /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    That's what I took from it. If they can't be bothered with a vasectomy, condom or pulling out, they just can just get fat!

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, I'm not obese, but even if I were I wouldn't give a rat's ass about "infertility". If I did find out I was infertile I'd see it as a good thing.

I mean, is it any surprise? When you're obese your whole body starts to work worse.

Pretty sure female fertility is negatively affected by obesity too.

10+ Year Old Account
    this is the exact opposite in women lmao

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PhantasmagoriaX View Post
    @Tennis
    Also, to add on top of that if you are an overweight female its harder to get pregnant and the risks are higher as well.

Source: my sister in law is a fat whale.
    i see fat whales with pods of kids all the time.

Deleted
    Damn! This means there's a HUGE Plus if you're fat!

Would rather be obese than have unwanted kids. You can always lose that extra bootee, but having an unwanted kid? Yikes!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mac View Post
    this is the exact opposite in women lmao

- - - Updated - - -

i see fat whales with pods of kids all the time.
    Exactly lol! The more kids she has the fatter she is, is usually the case IRL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im cultivating mass. When Peter did the statue of David, he wasn't just hammering pebbles. First, he asked the Jews to bring him a giant slab of marble