Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Volardelis View Post
    I find it interesting that there are some people who are actually okay with facebook allowing actual fake news (or falsehoods) to be posted online. Let us be honest, majority of people who use social media only read 1 or 2 sources on an event, and they tend to be within their on personal bias. So if something matches their view, regardless if it is true or not, they will believe it. Just take the anti-vaxxers crowd. They continue to dismiss the science that shows that their view is false, yet they believe the fake science that supports them.

False information is a disease. Once it is on the internet, it will continue to spread.
    People who fight for freedom of speech tend to fight for even the most retarded people to have a voice.

People like you, who have anti-liberal principles, always try and silence anyone and everyone using authoritarian methods. If you had it your way, I'm sure you'd have the government step in and stop them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Good thing corporations aren't people in Canada.

EVERY country has limits to free speech, including the so called free speech utopia known as U.S.
    I did mention there are limits to free speech. Question is where do you put the line? What is fake news enough to warant removing them. Most of the political parties lie like crazy. Would you be fine banning shitty parties like PS from here? I mean they spread lies constantly but that's pretty much the bar for most parties. They just happen to do it bit more often than the other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    People who fight for freedom of speech tend to fight for even the most retarded people to have a voice.

People like you, who have anti-liberal principles, always try and silence anyone and everyone using authoritarian methods. If you had it your way, I'm sure you'd have the government step in and stop them.
    Everyone should have the freedom to speak their mind, but they don't have the right to be heard. Social media allows them to be heard, even when they say the most obvious lies.

Stopping the falsehoods from spreading like the plague is a good thing, not a bad one.

But alas, these days you can say something, repeat it tons of times, show no real evidence to back yourself up and idiots will believe you. Just take Trump saying that 3 million illegal votes were cast in the 2016 election, and all of them voted for Hillary. He has no proof of that, yet his supporters believe it to be gospel.

Or the infamous pizza shop that has child sex slaves in its basement, even though it doesn't have a basement. Alex Jones (who was one of the nut jobs who helped make #pizzagate known) came out and said he was sorry for spreading that falsehood. Yet you still see people believing it.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    I wish the phrase fake news would die.
    "Fake news" has less of a loaded feel than its old name, "propaganda." But I do agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post

Because barring illegal/criminal activity. What is "retarded" too some is not "retarded" at all. The world is a big complex place, its ok to have different opinions.

If people cant tell the difference between a fact and propaganda then theres a bigger issue at play than some dodgy news site. And if people are spreading misinformation on purpose there are already laws currently against that.

Quote Originally Posted by luc54 View Post
    I did mention there are limits to free speech. Question is where do you put the line?
    The thing is Facebook isn't a canadian company so why shouldn't Canada have the right to tell how a foreing business conducts their business there?
    You would have slightly more of a point if it were.

Quote Originally Posted by Volardelis View Post
    Everyone should have the freedom to speak their mind, but they don't have the right to be heard. Social media allows them to be heard, even when they say the most obvious lies.

Stopping the falsehoods from spreading like the plague is a good thing, not a bad one.

But alas, these days you can say something, repeat it tons of times, show no real evidence to back yourself up and idiots will believe you. Just take Trump saying that 3 million illegal votes were cast in the 2016 election, and all of them voted for Hillary. He has no proof of that, yet his supporters believe it to be gospel.

Or the infamous pizza shop that has child sex slaves in its basement, even though it doesn't have a basement. Alex Jones (who was one of the nut jobs who helped make #pizzagate known) came out and said he was sorry for spreading that falsehood. Yet you still see people believing it.
    How's it good to stop people from speaking their mind? You implement this shit and it will be turned around against you so quick.

So what if people believe stupid things? You believe many stupid things. One of which is the idea that you should suppress speech you don't agree with. People still believe the fucking planet is flat. People eat fucking tide pods. What's your point? Stupid people exist. Hell, people can be told the truth and still come out of the conversation with a different version that has falsehoods.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    Because barring illegal/criminal activity. What is "retarded" too some is not "retarded" at all. The world is a big complex place, its ok to have different opinions.

If people cant tell the difference between a fact and propaganda then theres a bigger issue at play than some dodgy news site. And if people are spreading misinformation on purpose there are already laws currently against that.
    People can't tell the difference between reality and a troll. Have you ever heard of 4Chan trolling people? The whole "piss yourself for solidarity" thing that happened a few years back? Just one example. Hell, there was a site that was created to parody feminists, and after a short time they couldn't parody feminists anymore because feminism became completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    What about when news stations are obviously biased?

The thing is Facebook isn't a canadian company so why shouldn't Canada have the right to tell how a foreing business conducts their business there?
    You would have slightly more of a point if it were.
    They do have right to tell how to conduct business there, but if it's on the internet then their methods are quite limited in affecting what Facebook can do there. China telling google and youtube to ban certain anti-China videos and websites from list did jack shit as well. Just having right to do so doesn't mean it's not limiting free speech. There are tons of things that I could list on top of my head that foolish people believe in that are harmful, but allowed due to freedom of speech - most of them are some some conmen pretending that their clairvoyance, quacker such as homeopathy is actually working.

Quote Originally Posted by luc54 View Post
    There are tons of things that I could list on top of my head that foolish people believe in that are harmful, but allowed due to freedom of speech - most of them are some some conmen pretending that their clairvoyance, quacker such as homeopathy is actually working.
    Maybe they shouldn't be allowed either then? Two wrongs don't make a right.

Maybe they shouldn't be allowed either then? Two wrongs don't make a right.
    So should political parties be banned as well? I'm pretty sure all of ours spread some form of propaganda. Some of it is extremely harmful and I absolute loathe when they try to privatise everything here and then sell national companies abroad for pea nuts so foreigners can profit off our asses. I did mention persut before as one of the most dishonest ones. Maybe some of them actually believe in things they say. How do we tell difference anyway and is it relevant?

And who decide what is fake news and isn't fake news?

I've seen CNN give out some questionable news, it's normally "OUR SOURCES" or "Our friend" never will it be on the record, even when they say it's a "retired General" They still have nothing on record, is it real news if they can't prove it?

I've seen news report of violent from certain groups, real video that exist, yet MSM like CNN or Politco would late claim "Out of context, false"

Who is deciding what is real or isn't real?

Fact, PM Trudeau has allowed ISIS terrorists to enter his nation Canada, there is no denying that, it was even in their parliament and he even addressed this, could it then go farther to say, Trudeau is an awful man that endangered his own citizens? He would scream "FAKE NEWS!!!" "I love my Citizens"

Trudeau is a joke.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dunhildas View Post

I've seen CNN give out some questionable news, it's normally "OUR SOURCES" or "Our friend" never will it be on the record, even when they say it's a "retired General" They still have nothing on record, is it real news if they can't prove it?

I've seen news report of violent from certain groups, real video that exist, yet MSM like CNN or Politco would late claim "Out of context, false"

Fact, PM Trudeau has allowed ISIS terrorists to enter his nation Canada, there is no denying that, it was even in their parliament and he even addressed this, could it then go farther to say, Trudeau is an awful man that endangered his own citizens? He would scream "FAKE NEWS!!!" "I love my Citizens"

Trudeau is a joke.
    Fresh new reports are coming in.....according to one of our inside sources Justin Trudeau beauitful head of hair is in fact a wig made from the fur skinned from baby sea otters. Fake news!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dunhildas View Post

Trudeau is a joke.
    Trudeau IS a joke, but the exemple you provided is not fake news. It's opinion. The fact is that Trudeau did allow ISIS fighters back in Canada, and one could derive from it that Trudeau put Canada in danger. The PM never said that Facebook should do something about people saying mean things against him.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Cowardice is no solution, Trudeau, but it appears to be your go-to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Cowardice is no solution, Trudeau, but it appears to be your go-to.
    Combating fake news is not cowardice bud. Might want to check the definition.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    Then why all the hype and media coverage doll?
    Because that is what they do? Turn a nothing burger into a huge deal. Plus.... THE RUSSIANS!!!!!!!!!!1

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Clearly it did.
    Clearly? How so?

This is the dude that compared ISIS fighters to Portuguese immigrants? Lel, who cares what he has to say.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    >Do what we say or face strict regulations!

Just another day in the life of The King-Cuck Authoritarian.

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    Trudeau is so brave to protect his citizens from politically incorrect news. The new Canadian ministry of truth will make sure Canadians are only thinking proper thoughts and using correct grammar which is in agreement with Canadian™ values.
    Canadianspeak???