Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Bring back ranged survival!!!

Just do it. Millions would love to see it back.

Quote Originally Posted by sololux View Post
    and this is SURELY the right place to ask for it. /sarcasm off

Deleted
    If you want a ranged hunter, just play MM or BM. SV was pretty much indistinguishable from the 2 other ranged specs to begin with.

As much as I loved the old Survival (was by far the most enjoyable spec ingame, my opinion) im REALLY liking how Survival looks in BFA. Seriously excited to try it out.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Millions? Doubtful. I’d rather see how there hybrid plays out then go back to the boring old survival.

Quote Originally Posted by sololux View Post
    "Millions" is honestly a larger ballpark figure than WoW's total playerbase right now.

Illo dicto, you are getting some kind of weird mess that will be ranged half the time in BFA anyway. So, Blizzard listened to people like you, and they killed melee Survival, and resurrected its corpse as a monstrosity. Now, neither the people who liked ranged Survival will be happy nor will the people who liked Legion's melee Survival.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

You guys fucked up melee survival that me and a shitload of other people really, truly enjoyed. The BfA survival is a bag of crap on fire.
    Thanks for that. I hope blizzard fucks up BM and MM, just so you get how it feels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    They are doing. It’ll be a hybrid with a talent that’ll let you make their core ability into a ranged ability.

SV is ruined forever unfortunately. blizzard killed off a spec and opened the retard floodgates. go look at wow forums atm it's either people arguing about what SV should be or idiots posting their "spec redesign" fantasy threads.

accept being a 2 spec class from now on cause SV is a dead meme.

So they’re changing the melee that I’ve wanted for years to something else because people sucked at the spec? That’s really annoying. I feel like I stop playing my hunter (My main, btw) every other expansion because the less than evolved players of the class (You know the term) possess simplistic desires.

I like having a melee spec. However, I do not really like the current iteration of the spec but the changes for BFA looks promising.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    SV is ruined forever unfortunately. blizzard killed off a spec and opened the retard floodgates. go look at wow forums atm it's either people arguing about what SV should be or idiots posting their "spec redesign" fantasy threads.

accept being a 2 spec class from now on cause SV is a dead meme.
    seems like a fine spec to me.

I don't understand hunters cry. I will sold half of my soul for ranged rogue spec (and second half for some hybrid combat-mage spec) - only for diversity.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    MM plays differently from BM, if they brought back WoD survival you would have 3 completely different specs.
    Can you come up with something interesting for WoD-survival going into legion? Like a new mechanic or something that would build up on SV but not ruin or even change it's core?
    Just curious... because you wouldn't expect us to play the same sh*t for 2 expansions straight now, would you?

What I'm trying to say is... "bringing it back" always sounds like people are asking for the WoD version to come back.. .1:1... that would be so utterly boring, I don't even know where to start. And since they would never do that and changes to the spec going into legion are basically guaranteed, I wonder if you'd even get what you were asking for, whether SV had remained range or not.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2018-02-11 at 07:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I can tell, there's all of one BfA survival ability that requires being in melee range, Raptor Strike? But that one ability pretty much makes all the other abilities being ranged kinda moot outside of niche situations (dotting up adds that spawn away from the tank or something). Assuming Blizzard ever comes to the conclusion that a "hybrid melee/range" spec is relatively pointless (the vast majority of the time you need to be in melee anyway), it'll be a lot easier to make the spec fully ranged again rather than fully melee, considering just one ability needs to be changed to make the spec ranged and that ability already has a ranged visual due to a cooldown (Aspect of the Eagle) which makes it ranged.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    Can you come up with something interesting for WoD-survival going into legion? Like a new mechanic or something that would build up on SV but not ruin or even change it's core?
    Just curious... because you wouldn't expect us to play the same sh*t for 2 expansions straight now, would you?

What I'm trying to say is... "bringing it back" always sounds like people are asking for the WoD version to come back.. .1:1... that would be so utterly boring, I don't even know where to start. And since they would never do that and changes to the spec going into legion are basically guaranteed, I wonder if you'd even get what you were asking for, whether SV had remained range or not.
    I always liked Survival is the high mobility, DoT heavy build.
    The MoP and early WoD survival builds weren't bad at all. I agree with blizzard that the rotation was too similar to MM, but I'm not sure if a full swing to melee spec was what this class needed.

Not that I'm against melee (most of my alts are melee), but melee already has quite a full spectrum of styles and I don't think survival would add much to that. I'd rather have had them change SV to be a bit more specialized in DoT and elemental damage (which it mostly was, but SV had a lot of frontloaded damage with Explosive shot spam and instant serpent sting dmg) and make MM the high burst physical spec which it is today.

Basically SV could have had it's own flavor leaning a bit more on elemental DoT damage and high mobility. Between serpent sting, some kind of fire DoT (be it wildfire grenade or something more similar to the old explosive shot) and maybe elemental ammunition as we had in the WoD talent tree. The spec could have been fun and more unique moving it a bit closer to a DoT spec such as shadow priest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shanthi View Post
    As far as I can tell, there's all of one BfA survival ability that requires being in melee range, Raptor Strike? But that one ability pretty much makes all the other abilities being ranged kinda moot outside of niche situations (dotting up adds that spawn away from the tank or something). Assuming Blizzard ever comes to the conclusion that a "hybrid melee/range" spec is relatively pointless (the vast majority of the time you need to be in melee anyway), it'll be a lot easier to make the spec fully ranged again rather than fully melee, considering just one ability needs to be changed to make the spec ranged and that ability already has a ranged visual due to a cooldown (Aspect of the Eagle) which makes it ranged.
    Spec still seems a bit incomplete though. It's still missing a "hook" or secondary resource mechanic that gives the spec some depth.

I mean I'm not a fan of Mongoose Fury, but that mechanic did give the spec a bit of a anchor around which you base your other abilities.
    New SV seems like it has some nice things, and I like how it's relying more heavily on DoT damage again. But it's still missing a hook. Simply spamming focus away on Raptor Strike and using KC on cooldown are not really great gameplay hooks.

So they either going to need to:
    a) Ditch Raptor Strike and focus the spec on being ranged again
    b) Add 1-2 more melee abilities; preferably something cooldown related so you're not just spamming all focus away on Raptor Strikes
    c) Add in a secondary resource or mechanic to manage
    d) Take the hybrid factor of the spec to a higher level and forcing you to swap between melee and ranged on a semi frequent basis.

Quote Originally Posted by squary93 View Post
    If you want a ranged hunter, just play MM or BM. SV was pretty much indistinguishable from the 2 other ranged specs to begin with.
    Because blizzard starting giving marksmen the same spells survival originally had so they became indistinguishable. Blizzard could just revert survival back to the way it was in vanilla and there would be differences again between the three. Getting the devs to admit they fucked up survival a long time ago probably won't happen. I still don't understand why bm ended up with chimera shot? It just shows the devs doing the same things again that got them into the same boat again. You can open your talents pane right now on live and see those spells they took from survival back in vanilla.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2018-02-12 at 12:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nythiz View Post
    b) Add 1-2 more melee abilities; preferably something cooldown related so you're not just spamming all focus away on Raptor Strikes

d) Take the hybrid factor of the spec to a higher level and forcing you to swap between melee and ranged on a semi frequent basis.
    The question I'd have for you or Blizzard is how you build a compelling playstyle around a spec that has both melee and ranged abilities. Like, unholy DKs have some ranged abilities (Death Coil, Outbreak, Clawing Shadows) but they're pretty clearly a solid melee class. Aside from a few edge cases (boss flies in the air for a short time, add leaps away), they're not really going to be attacking from ranged. Is that all a "melee/range hybrid" Survival hunter would be, too, or is there any way to make it meaningful to have some ranged attacks and some melee attacks?
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Don't care I be it stays mdps or goes back rdps as long as it plays well. Current SV, while fun, is a cluttered mess that plays like a cluttered mess, frequently forcing players to not use signature abilities due to having to use other signature abilities or maintaining a buff. A buff which easily falls off and kills your damage if it does and you have to rebuild it.
    As far as old playstyles, all 3 specs played the same. Yes, they did and there is no arguement against it. They had different focuses, such as SV having dots and MM having frontloaded damage; however, they all played the same: use exact same CD, use signature abilities, use exact same ability to rebuild resource, rinse/repeat. Very few other classes had that same exact playstyle between their specs. Yes, some did (look at Ass/Sub Rogues), but Blizz has changed the specs thru the years to give more diversity.
    That being said, Blizz could have tried to rework SV as a rdps to make it more different than BM and MM other than making it mdps. I don't agree that WoD SV was some great spec. Personally I found it to be the worst iteration with no Kill Shot (no execute at all), and I can't even remember if it had RF then. Blizz then fixed the spec and corrected the Multistrike bug, making it even worse feeling.
    Again, I don't care if it goes back rdps or not, but if they leave it melee I hope they fix current issues with the spec. If ignorance goes back complete rdps then I hope they change it enough to not feel like I'm playing MM or BM with a different name, or a combination of the 2.

Deleted
    It won't come back. And new SV is fun. So get over it.