Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantheal View Post
    Cool, so who's numbers should one go by and from what stage of life? Cuz check it out, the ones you gave differ by a very large amount from mine as a 50 yr old male who owns his property and does not have extra mouths to feed. Go back five years and I have a a note to pay for my property and no kids at home so think about those values. Lets go back five more and the kids are home and bank note then.

So then my personal numbers would be close to your but ya, don't really think it needs to be broke down like that for a five yr old and what the mom is doing is brilliant only wish I had done with mine LOL
    I think the stage of life to consider would be when one moves on their own, plus couple years. That's when those early life lessons will come to test, not so much 30 years later. I just used my values as example, as it's not like they've changed much since I moved on my own, as I'm still renting, just in third location so far. Rent has gone higher for sure in that time, but the other bills are about the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

It's a bit of an early age to learn that at I think, but otherwise I think it's a good way to teach kids about money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I never got an allowance growing up. Chores were seen as a shared responsibility of everyone living in the house. When I got to the age that I started wanting consistent money, I looked for jobs. My first one was babysitting, then I worked at McDonalds.
    Honestly you sound like a great kid. Yeah I agree on the allowance although ours was like $5 a month.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

It would be more useful to just give the kid 5$ allowance, make sure that they do daily chores and there homework everyday so that they learn how to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Negotiation isn't hustling though. A hustle is working when you want something, negotiation is bringing something to the table and making a compromise on how to make both parties happy. So say you were a couple of bucks short on buying something, you'd negotiate. If you had no money and you wanted something, you'd hustle.
    I think we're just talking about semantics now. Hustling can also just be an aggressive negotiation/sale. It definitely can have some negative connotations though, that's for sure.

I'm more focused on the fact that it's good for kids to learn how to make deals and compromise. It's a pretty valuable skill to have as an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    So instead of letting your kids focus on school and hobbies, you're making them do your housework for you.
    Yeah, she should be shooting for 16

10+ Year Old Account
    5 is too young to be having allowances. I don't like the concept of charging your child rent to live in your house in general though, so I disapprove.

The kid just learned how to add and subtract, do you really think they will be able to understand the complexities of rent/wage/saving?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    So instead of letting your kids focus on school and hobbies, you're making them do your housework for you.
    Yes because taking out the recyclables is life altering "housework"

OP, would it sound generous if the mother gave her child $100 a week, but "charged" the child $98 on rent?

The kid is still getting $2 regardless... if anything it would make the child know the value of money and I entirely approve of that fact...

I got a teenage niece who has zero concept of the value of it, asking for this and that... and regardless of going on holidays numerous times a year she has those "I hate my family, no one loves me!" episodes and what have you. i.e. - a spoilt brat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    So what?

Most kids don't have allowances at all, and their parents just buy stuff. If they're smart (which, they are, in this case), if the kids want something but can't afford it, the parents can make a decision (yanno, being adults) and perhaps help. Or even better, let the kids take a 'loan' from the parents for the extra few bucks they need.
    It's common here for kids to have pocket money

Deleted
    Do you actually believe the crap people post on Facebook?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Wow holy. I was going to say yeah my mom never paid us for something in our own interest. It was just a responsibility.
    I think that's part of it, too.

You do chores, you live rent free. OR .. You do chores, you get paid money, you use that money for rent. It's the same thing, but adds a fiscal education value to it (and certainly also puts the onus of not doing your chores in more perspective too)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I don't see the harm. The kid is still getting $2 at the end of the day. As long as it doesn't devolve into the kid getting their allowance cut due to low grades and going into child debt. That'd get a little too realistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    OP, would it sound generous if the mother gave her child $100 a week, but "charged" the child $98 on rent?

The kid is still getting $2 regardless... if anything it would make the child know the value of money and I entirely approve of that fact...

I got a teenage niece who has zero concept of the value of it, asking for this and that... and regardless of going on holidays numerous times a year she has those "I hate my family, no one loves me!" episodes and what have you. i.e. - a spoilt brat.
    Agreed. One of the girls I dated early in high school... She was given $100 a week. Period. No rent, no bills, just 'thats your spending money'.

Meanwhile I worked full time during high school just about, and also paid our bills as well.. .So I was consistently broke af.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Agreed. One of the girls I dated early in high school... She was given $100 a week. Period. No rent, no bills, just 'thats your spending money'.

Meanwhile I worked full time during high school just about, and also paid our bills as well.. .So I was consistently broke af.
    Yep been there. I never begrudged that situation for what it was until I seen how easily it was wasted. Not knowing where things come from or caring bothers me.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

It seems like a case of great parenting. It's not like the education system succeeds at teaching most children the true value of money. Having it outlined from an early age will very likely result in a financially responsible adult.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntermyth View Post
    long story short, this woman is charging her 5 years old weekly rent of 5 $ out of her allowed 7$. is it justified ? would you do that to your own son / daughter ?

here's the link btw : http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/18/mom-re...-rent-7241220/

from my perspective, she maybe has good intentions but going too far. i mean, you are not teaching her anything beyond that she is getting less money out of you, since you are the one giving her that money in the first place. at least that's what i hope, mommy isn't forcing her 5 years old to work and get the money out of her hands right ? right ??!?
    The hell? No, this isn't justified. I am sorry but as they are under 18, they are your responsibility as a parent. End of chapter, after that, you can demand rent.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    The hell? No, this isn't justified. I am sorry but as they are under 18, they are your responsibility as a parent. End of chapter, after that, you can demand rent.
    She's not demanding rent... Read the article. It's a teaching thing, not 'gimme your money or get out'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    I find it fucked up that she is using money as a tool to teach her anything while she is only 5 years old.
    Heaven forbid kids learn stuff before they're in college. Considering there is an utter lack of education of any kind about finances in most school systems. Besides, what's a better way to learn about money than... money?

Are kids supposed to be taught to read by looking at pictures of potatoes? No, you learn to read better by reading.