Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Understaffed federal prisons causes potential danger

ESTILL, SC (WTOC) -

The Department of Justice announced a decrease of 6,132 positions for federal prisons nationwide due to budget cuts.

The department says they will only be eliminating vacant positions, and current employees should not fear for their job security. However, prison guards say they it's their security, period, that they fear.

The Department of Justice claims federal prison inmates have decreased over the years, therefore provoking a cut in the budget for staffing. However, this did not take into account the recent hiring freeze. While employees quit, retired, or left for whatever reason, no positions were filled.

Louis Davis is the President of the American Federation of Governing Employees Local 3976. His father was the first African American prison warden in the state of Georgia. Davis currently works at the federal prison in Estill, SC, and said because of the hiring freeze, "We haven't hired anybody in over a year."

Davis said correction officer cuts could unleash your worst nightmare from federal prisons, including murderers, rapists, and cons. Understaffing in any workplace can be detrimental, but in a prison, it can be deadly.

"We protect America from some of the worst criminals in the world," said Davis. "Our understaffing can cost you your life."

While these prison guards feel like their lives are at stake, just a few miles down the road, businesses, like Dr. Tire, are also worried about inmates getting loose.

"To know that they could get out, come in, terrorize anybody they wanted to."

Another worker in the room, Meagan Bostick, said, "Probably trying to steal whatever because they don't have money or anything on them, so they would be after whoever they could find," Thomas said.

What WTOC found in this decision-making is interesting. After digging through the Bureau of Prisons 2018-2019 budget report, their committee strongly recommends additional staffing. They expose the inmate to correctional officer ratio and admit it is unsafe for both the inmates and the staff. It goes on to recommend an immediate correction.

WTOC reached out to the Bureau of Prisons to see if it followed this counsel. It's response was:

"We are currently eliminating several thousand vacant authorized positions. These positions have been identified by the Department of Justice and Congress to be eliminated as part of an effort to “rightsize” the BOP authorized staffing levels in light of the significant decrease in the inmate population we experienced over the last 4 years.

The elimination of these positions will not result in any staff members being displaced or any Reduction in Force, and the BOP does not expect this to impact institutional operations or its overall ability to maintain a safe environment for inmates and staff. Likewise, we believe that reducing authorized positions will not have a negative impact on public safety."

This also doesn't sit well with congressmen across the country. Representatives from Ohio, Florida, and more all wrote letters to President Trump for reconsideration. Georgia Congressman Buddy Carter says safety should always be a priority.

"Any prison guard who feels like they might be in danger, I strongly encourage them to get in touch with our office. Let us look at the particular situation. We'll bring it to the attention of the Department of Justice and it will be addressed."

The Bureau of Prisons said the FY2018 budget has not yet been enacted. To the extent, the FY2018 budget calls for the elimination of additional positions, the BOP will work with DOJ to effect such changes.
    http://www.wtoc.com/story/37464560/u...tential-danger

Maybe the problem is that there are too many people in these prisons in the first place. How about looking at the root cause instead.
    What do you make of this? Do you know any criminals who are imprisoned?

10+ Year Old Account
    well there is an alternative solution to clear out the prisons...
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

If only there were a way to not be incarcerated in those prisons.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    well there is an alternative solution to clear out the prisons...
    Is this the same idea far reich has for refugees?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Don't teach prisons to be safe, teach people to not commit crimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutpile View Post
    If only there were a way to not be incarcerated in those prisons.
    Yeah. Legal reform so we don't have people being thrown in jail for minor drug offenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    http://www.wtoc.com/story/37464560/u...tential-danger

Maybe the problem is that there are too many people in these prisons in the first place. How about looking at the root cause instead.
    What do you make of this? Do you know any criminals who are imprisoned?
    The lucrative prison system is one of those things in 300 years we will look back on and think "wtf were they thinking?"

Treating people like animals isnt the best way to correct behavior. But some people are a danger to themselves and the community and need to removed, so its a tricky problem to fix

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Yeah. Legal reform so we don't have people being thrown in jail for minor drug offenses.
    There are no people in federal prison for minor drug offenses, genius.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Nobody is in federal prison for a minor drug offense lol.
    Depends on your definition of minor, but whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Look at Obama's definition of minor, based on the pardons he issued, and you are still wrong.
    Now it's war on drugs sessions calling the shots, who likes zero tolerance game more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Depends on your definition of minor, but whatever.
    I accept your retraction of your dumb statement.

Can't even admit he is wrong about something minor, ah, I love didactic.
    Well, he's wrong about everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought US does indeed throw a lot of people in the prison for minor drug related offenses?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    The lucrative prison system is one of those things in 300 years we will look back on and think "wtf were they thinking?"

Treating people like animals isnt the best way to correct behavior. But some people are a danger to themselves and the community and need to removed, so its a tricky problem to fix
    It isn't tricky, we just don't want to solve it; prisons are profitable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I thought US does indeed throw a lot of people in the prison for minor drug related offenses?
    Not usually federal prison. Usually it's a state or country prison. The feds prosecute big crimes

Massive simplification but that's the gist of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    It isn't tricky, we just don't want to solve it; prisons are profitable.
    What do you suggest we do to psycopaths then or people who make big mistakes? Kill them after the trial?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamfix View Post
    Not usually federal prison. Usually it's a state or country prison. The feds prosecute big crimes

Massive simplification but that's the gist of it.
    Oh, I see. Thank you for clarifying. Was wondering what the wrong part was in the discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP you really have boner for America?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    OP you really have boner for America?
    Please bud. If I only make threads on Canada people complain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    Please bud. If I only make threads on Canada people complain.
    And Finland. It's very weird you do that.