Page 1 of 2
LastLast

coworkers with mental health issues

So I have bipolar disorder. I usually keep it under wraps and only tell like need to know people but I often wonder if the people I work with have the right to know if their working with someone who has a mental illness.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as you stay on your meds, I couldn't care less.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Deleted
    No they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    So I have bipolar disorder. I usually keep it under wraps and only tell like need to know people but I often wonder if the people I work with have the right to know if their working with someone who has a mental illness.
    I don't think they need to know, unless they can already see it, or you present a danger to their health. If they can't tell, then what relevance does it have otherwise?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Maybe if you're in a critical field like EMT or something, you could get sued but generally no.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Coworkers don't need to know. I just make sure management is aware as a worst case.

I took a job as a call center worker since my disability paid pretty minimal but I have like.....extreme crippling anxiety to the point I was approved for disability to begin with. When I'm on my meds, I can somewhat function without an attack but have super groggy phases. I made sure to talk about it my situation privately with some of the senior managers to cover all my bases, and theirs, in case of an attack or something related.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

10+ Year Old Account
    No, they do not have a right to know about your mental health. Though, it is important that one at work knows about this, mostly a union official or your boss, incase assistance is needed. Myself, all my colleagues knows about my mental illness. In this case, schizophrenia, and they don't react to it or see it as a problem or worry. As long as I tell them if I start feeling unwell.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Depending on the laws of your state and where you work, you might even benefit from telling everyone about it. In many cases, it makes you unfirable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you had professional help? What meds do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    Have you had professional help? What meds do you use?
    Yes I receive professional help. My meds are not your business.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    No, they do not have a right to know about your mental health. Though, it is important that one at work knows about this, mostly a union official or your boss, incase assistance is needed. Myself, all my colleagues knows about my mental illness. In this case, schizophrenia, and they don't react to it or see it as a problem or worry. As long as I tell them if I start feeling unwell.
    I usually tell my boss after I've been with the company for a few months. So they get to know me and don't define me based on a medical diagnosis.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

As long as you ain't affecting anyone why should I care?

- - - Updated - - -

I usually tell my boss after I've been with the company for a few months. So they get to know me and don't define me based on a medical diagnosis.
    Im guessing seroquel

10+ Year Old Account
    A good method. People react differently, and sadly some cavemen don't believe in mental health problems. So, a good method to let them see you and what you do, and know that their reaction after isn't due to the affect of your job if anything.

For me it went different after my illness went worse and had to be off the work market for a long time. I wanted to return to work, got some special agreements settled. The first work place I tried knew from the start, they were nice, but they put me on all the 'stow away' tasks. Things that I would be doing alone in some room away from others. Didn't make me happy. Crashed about 1½ weeks later.

My second attempt, and current jump still, they knew from the start but also knew about my background. They were and are nice. They gave me challenges and responsibilities. Treats me like a real employee.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    I don't want to hear about peoples personal problems at work, so as long as you function well it's all good.

As long as you don’t use it as a crutch for being a dick, they don’t need to know.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

10+ Year Old Account
    Medicine treatment shouldn't be anyone's business, sharing with the wrong person on this topic and you could have people breaking in. I speak from experience, though the tards who did so, failed and took the wrong things.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't tell it to anyone ever.

Only if you stop taking your meds and lose your shit at work, might be good to explain what happened. The couple of bipoloar people I have known we're just fine as long as they took their meds, but then they would think they wouldn't need them and stop then they would cause a scene.

So in most cases, no it's no one's business.

Deleted
    No. Your medical history is private, even to your employer unless it interferes with your ability to do your job.

Unless you are requesting reasonable ADA-related accommodations from your employer, I would suggest keeping your health information to yourself. There is very little you can gain from disclosure.