Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    supporting 3rd world nations to breed out of control at unsustainable numbers is immoral.
    cut all funding and leave them to seek out their own fate.

Really love the posters going out of their way to nation bash even though the topic is about a good thing.

Good job guys, thumbs up really.

Of course we are. We are constantly saving other ungrateful nations and we don't even care that the lesser nations aren't thankful for it.

Being the father country of the world is a thankless job, but it's our cross to bear.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    We have a lot of money and we're still religious is my guess as to why
    I don't think the religious aspect has much to do with it at all. I think the tax deduction you get for donations is a large part of it. pretty much the only reason I donate stuff as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    You did know he is American, right?
    How does that change what I said? If I pay 100$ to charity, it's me paying it, not "Denmark"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Donations are tax deductible, so there is zero reason to "dodge taxes".
    In the UK at least you can donate property on a lease, no longer pay income tax on it and then get the property back at full value after the lease is up. You still get the taxable income from the lease itself, but you don't have to pay taxes for the property.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    You mean like any donation to a 501(c)(3)? So, all donations for the most part of any substantial amount. Being mad that donations get a tax write off is ignorant. The law encourages donations, because guess what if they didn't they'd just hide the money another way.

Not all charities are great, but still it is better than them putting it in an Irrevocable Trust for their great great great grandchildren. But we could all by cynical instead.

This shouldn't shock anyone. We donate and do more for the rest of the world than any other country. Granted we do some fucked up shit as well, but at least we don't just do one thing. Better than just fucking shit up.
    Not what I'm referring to, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    You realize that charity is deductible for the explicit purpose of encouraging it, right?
    But isnt that the thing though, that if there was not deductible would the altruism be so great?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Name some and explain them.
    I did name them, and they don't need explaining. It's pretty self explanatory.

I really didn't see how one could fail to understand that comment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    It's a terrible affliction that many are doomed to suffer from for the rest of their lives.
    Living in america?

Quote Originally Posted by Deianeira View Post
    But isnt that the thing though, that if there was not deductible would the altruism be so great?

"I am starving, but are you sure this free meal is from altruistic charity? Otherwise I won't eat it"... said no starving person ever
    Why the donation happened, does not matter. It matters it happened, and the starving person got food
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    There are rules against religion period, not specifically bashing (as far as I know, it all amounts to the same thing though).
    The rules also specifically prohibit discussion of race and yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

American's often don't know European history or anything about Europe so it's hard for Americans to defend themselves.

1. Fascism was born in Europe as was Communism. Fascism killed 63 million people and communism killed 25 million in Russia and 50 million in China.

2. European colonialism is responsible for most of the problems around the globe. Why was Saddam a Sunni in charge of a nation filled with Shiites? Because the colonial power put his people in charge. Same with Assad in Syria but Assad is Shiite and the majority group in Syria, about 80%, is Sunni.

3. Europeans waged genocide against the Jews, driving the European Jews out of Europe and into Palestine where the European Jews created Israel the most destabilizing thing that ever happened to the region, about a half dozen wars were fought between Israelis and their neighbors.

etc, etc.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    I honestly think that if we removed Bill Gates from the equation, it would drop significantly, and even to US not being first. The study is either badly done, or the article has horrible amounts of information. It is also not stating what a "charity" even is.
    A 5 second google search will tell you America gives an estimate $358.38 Billion, Gates gave 4.6billion in June, simple math disproves your claim.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    The rules also specifically prohibit discussion of race and yet...
    Also prohibits nation bashing, yet....

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    We have a lot of money and we're still religious is my guess as to why

Hell, Bill Gates gives more money away than many countries.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a6849221.html

America has been named as the world’s most generous nation in the world, where its citizens give the most to charity, according to a new report.

The USA, New Zealand and Canada have the highest rate of charitable donations as a percentage gross domestic product (GDP), the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) found.

The UK had the fourth highest rate of charitable donations in a study of 24 nations and topped all other EU countries that were looked at.

CAF’s report took data from countries accounting for around 75 per cent of global GDP and 53 per cent of the world population.

Charitable giving by individuals as a percentage of GDP in America was recorded at 1.44%, in New Zealand at 0.79%, in Canada at .77% and in the UK – which came fourth globally – at 0.54%.

The report also analysed the impact of taxation and government spending and the amount given to charity and found there was "no significant correlation" except for employer social security charges, highlighting the complexity behind people’s decisions of when to give and how much.

Adam Pickering, international policy manager at CAF, said: "Across the 24 nations we studied, we found no significant link between government spending, income or corporation tax and the proportion of GDP donated by individuals.

"This suggests the relationship between the amount of taxes people pay and the amount they give to charity is not as clear cut as some may have thought.

“The factors which motivate people to give, and influence how much they give, are incredibly complex."
    Yeah, thats not the country though, thats individuals. It's also really easy to give away something you have a lot of.

Deleted
    2-3x higher then the next nations on the list probably means there is more going on then just more altruism, such as:

-the US has at least one major natural disaster each year that gets national charity campaigns going for it.
    -donating to a church is counted as a charity in the US.
    -a number of things that are covered by tax/social programs in many nations rely solely on charity in the US.
    -when i buy a humblebundle, i pay in dollars not euros, and a US company donates to charity not me. I imagine this is the case for a lot of international charities.

honestly the first one is probably the biggest factor, the US has a super high frequency of natural disasters compared almost all other places on earth.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2018-02-12 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    And the government is not for profit? Blind leading the blind I see.
    In so far as kick backs or exclusive contracts to private companies that do government work is concerned, sure. That's an issue of corruption and unchecked capitalism though, not government overreach. If you're saying the government as whole is to make profit, I'd like to point out $20 trillion of debt the government has. Not exactly profitable.

Are you even a real person?

Deleted
    I understand you're just bleeting things you actually aren't informed about, if someone doesn't want to explain, 99% of the time it's because they can't.
    I'm not getting paid to educate you, so I'm not interested in making long elaborated posts explaining how fucked up it is that certain medical procedures in America costs as much as moving to another country, having the procedure done there, live there for another two years, injure yourself, have the same procedure done again and then move back.
    Neither am I interested in going into detail about why having to spend more than 100 times more for your education than in other countries is also really shit. Especially when education is the stepping stone for civilization.

The most infuriating thing about America is watching from the outside noticing how shit it is and having the people that live there defend that shit to the death because of one of the most elaborate brainwashing in modern history.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand you're just bleeting things you actually aren't informed about, if someone doesn't want to explain, 99% of the time it's because they can't.
    I'm not getting paid to educate you, so I'm not interested in making long elaborated posts explaining how fucked up it is that certain medical procedures in America costs as much as moving to another country, having the procedure done there, live there for another two years, injure yourself, have the same procedure done again and then move back.
    Neither am I interested in going into detail about why having to spend more than 100 times more for your education than in other countries is also really shit. Especially when education is the stepping stone for civilization.

The most infuriating thing about America is watching from the outside noticing how shit it is and having the people that live there defend that shit to the death because of one of the most elaborate brainwashing in modern history.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a rule, I don't donate, but I tip large. My generosity comes from the lack of my countries own for lower-class workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Colactic View Post

Living in america?
    Oh, no, it's spreading.

Damn you, glorious circumcised Yankee cocks and the power you wield!
    Last edited by PickleballAce; 2018-02-12 at 07:42 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    Oh, no, it's spreading.

Damn you, glorious circumcised Yankee cocks and the power you wield!
    Not a Yankee. Not an American.

- - - Updated - - -

See? You can't defend your stance (because it's not very logical to be frank) and that's somehow my problem? It ain't. Don't make claims you can't defend
    I did defend my post. You just, like most Americans, decide to turn ignorant to whats presented to you in order to avoid admitting you lost an argument.

Btw, this: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0c6726e14cb0b

That alone is reason enough to call your country garbage, and it's only a drop in the sea.