Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

BfA - Pet Rework

Recent Blue post on these changes: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post48884018 -Daetur
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Haven't seen discussion on this around here yet:
    On the alpha, hunter pets received some changes!

Every pet class has now a special ability.

The baseline spec of some pets (Ferocity, Cunning, Tenacity) has changed.

Each spec comes with more distinctive abilities.
    • Ferocity gets Primal Rage (i.e. Bloodlust)
    • Cunning gets Master's Call
    • Tenacity gets Survival of the Fittest (Which reduces incoming damage to you and your pet by 20%)

Most importantly, the baseline spec is fixed! (meaning: you can't change it)

I'm uncertain how I feel about that. On one hand, it's great to see special abilities return. Then again, being shoe-horned into specific pet classes?

I play PvP mostly. That means taking a Cunning pet. Ideally, my pet would also have either a slow or a purge for the special ability, which reduces my choices roughly down to Moths, Spiders and Warp Stalkers.
    There may be one or two others that fit the bill. You get the idea though. It's limiting.
    Same goes for PvE -- You'll probably wanna get a Ferocity pet.

Is having pets be more individually unique worth the restrictions?

Edit: Blind old me oversaw some posts in the BfA thread. Oh well. I think this deserves a thread on its own.
    Last edited by Daetur; 2018-02-14 at 01:53 AM.

Deleted
    At least in PvE it means you don't have to save 2 spaces one for either a core hound or nether ray (lust) or a crane, moth or quilen for BR.. I'm all for it, pets lost their identity and it was a bit lame to me tbh. And in PvP you were either using a devilsaur, scorpid or carrion bird for MS debuff or a spider for the slow. IDK why people were acting as if we could bring anything really.. From what I saw on wowhead, apparently each pet spec does the same amount of damage, so in theory it's just about utility which means you can still bring what you want now with no suffer to damage.

I like it. Means i can have whatever pet I want and have bloodlust rather than just a corehound. I assume this means SV will also be able to have a bloodlust pet?

you cant the new ferocity specialization gonna be in x pets family, like cunning and tenacity

No more battle res?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yhcti View Post
    I like it. Means i can have whatever pet I want and have bloodlust rather than just a corehound. I assume this means SV will also be able to have a bloodlust pet?
    It sure looks that way right now.
    Still alpha - so who knows.

From what I saw on wowhead, apparently each pet spec does the same amount of damage, so in theory it's just about utility which means you can still bring what you want now with no suffer to damage.
    Amazing for PvE, if true! Well, the b-rez is still limited to a few pets classes and too good to pass on.

10+ Year Old Account
    To say that it pisses me off that they're going back to the days of 'x pet is x spec only' would be a colossal understatement. Why anyone with a functional brain thinks less choice is a good thing, is beyond me.

This is a dealbreaker for me.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree to some point taking away player choice is bad. But it's kinda silly to have a dps turtle and a tank moth for example..
    Also this change falls in line with Blizzard dropping "bring the player not the class" i do think this change will stick in BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumrocks View Post
    Amazing for PvE, if true! Well, the b-rez is still limited to a few pets classes and too good to pass on.
    Rumour is any class will be able to buy a consumable to bres in BFA, similar to how you can buy drums now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    To say that it pisses me off that they're going back to the days of 'x pet is x spec only' would be a colossal understatement. Why anyone with a functional brain thinks less choice is a good thing, is beyond me.

Well, to be honest, when they introduced switching specs for your pets, I think pet identity was pretty much thrown out of the window. And while i see your point, I think this implementation (what is in BfA) seems to be much more interesting for me as hunter player.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    Well, to be honest, when they introduced switching specs for your pets, I think pet identity was pretty much thrown out of the window. And while i see your point, I think this implementation (what is in BfA) seems to be much more interesting for me as hunter player.
    What's "interesting" about having to pick a pet type you don't like to perform a certain function? It's not like any of these types of pets are difficult to acquire or you have to do anything to figure which to use. We're also not like warlocks who have demons with very specific functions and the "right tool for the job". While I'm grateful all pets will have abilities, having to use a moth or crane to bring Brez if I need it totally kills the class and character identity for me. It means I'm still not using the pets I actually like in a lot of situations and instead reserving Call Pet slots for the best combinations of family/ability.

You've failed to mention that all three pet families will do the same dps. Its just the extra perk that comes along with it that's different. This is pretty much what everyone has wanted back when pet families existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Stop equating casual to bad, they're two different things.
    Casual refers to time/effort spent.
    Bad refers to skill.
    Your English isn't casual, it's bad.

As long as the DPS is equal then I'd consider this a big improvement. I can't speak for anyone else but I'm kind of sick of using Cranes, Moths and Nether Rays almost exclusively for the group utility.

Now Blizzard, scrap Exotics and I'll be overjoyed.

Personally I like it, gives the pet a bit more personality and you have to give some thought as to what line up of pets you want without being too limited.

The only thing I don't like is that some of the bigger pet classes that contains highly different individuals, most specifically Spirit Beasts and Mechanical, is being forced into a single spec. Mechanical especially, since they came with the gnome hunter class in order for them to have a very unique flavor, and now they are being forced to use non-mechanical ones instead.

Well, the most common argument, which I agree with, is that it's nice to feel like your pets have some kind of personality and distinction, over them all being literally the same thing with different appearance.

In BFA, we appear to be going back to having pets locked into spec by species. Wowhead has a more comprehensive look at these changes.
    http://bfa.wowhead.com/news=281769/b...ter-pet-revamp

Of note: Spirit Beasts are changing to Tenacity. All pets with Battle Rez are being changed from Ferocity to either Cunning or Tenacity.

I can only find confimation that Basic Attacks are the same bewteen specs, not that DPS is the same- I am hoping that this IS the case, and the intent.

I am not happy at all with the current state of these changes if DPS is not normalized across the three specs- it severely restricts my choice of pet and makes hunter Battle Rez even MORE inconvenient.

There is a place for giving the pet families more personality, sure- but I particularly disagree with moving Spirit Beast to Tenacity. They have been Ferocity as their base spec since their introduction, and I have used my Loque'nahak for that long as my primary raiding pet when no other buffs are needed. I am very disappointed in this change, and hope to see it reversed.

I was also very excited for the new hyena model, only to see that they're ALSO being removed from the Ferocity list and made Cunning.
    Last edited by Daetur; 2018-02-12 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nessfalco View Post
    What's "interesting" about having to pick a pet type you don't like to perform a certain function? It's not like any of these types of pets are difficult to acquire or you have to do anything to figure which to use. We're also not like warlocks who have demons with very specific functions and the "right tool for the job". While I'm grateful all pets will have abilities, having to use a moth or crane to bring Brez if I need it totally kills the class and character identity for me. It means I'm still not using the pets I actually like in a lot of situations and instead reserving Call Pet slots for the best combinations of family/ability.
    Call it fantasy if you want but having tanking wolf or DPS turtle kills "immersion" for me. So I guess this is where we have to agree to disagree with each other.

15+ Year Old Account
    As long as combat resurrection remains as a pet ability, there is only one pet you can use.

Please, Blizzard, fix this.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Survival can use nether rays for bloodlust.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Good.
    Locked families are the way to go.
    I mean, I don't see locks with tank imps, so it's only fair, right?

Guess you didn't sign the petition for classic huh.
    Yet another on the long list of things going back to early philosophies of wow. I'd get used to it at this point. There was a time when every pet did slightly different damage with entirely different spells.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV