Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Holy paladins make no sense

So there is this class that was supposed to be "holy warriors", that is priests trained in melee fights and this spec pretty much turn them again into kind of priests but this time in plates instead of dresses ;D
    Nonsense.

Exactly. Which is why we should remove priests from the game and let paladins wear rags if they please.

Sorry priests

So you are saying that priests who learn how to fight with weapons forget all healing abilities or are not able to specialize?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FAILoZOFF View Post
    So there is this class that was supposed to be "holy warriors", that is priests trained in melee fights and this spec pretty much turn them again into kind of priests but this time in plates instead of dresses ;D
    Nonsense.
    Holy warrior....warrior.....warrior...a straight up priest doesn't melee but a warrior wielding "holy light" does...so yeah it really does makes senses. Your trying to make something out of nothing.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    They wear plate so they can take hits and go toe to toe with originally mainly undead (Exorcism). While also still having healing spells.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    They wear plate so they can take hits and go toe to toe with originally mainly undead (Exorcism). While also still having healing spells.
    ^this explained better then I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Nitpick, but they were trained as Paladins after the first war (against the Draenor orcs) after Northshire priests were attacked. Undead came later. But yes, they were trained to still do what priests do, but also fight.

Paladins are far more rich in lore than priests. So this thread is pointless

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
    Nitpick, but they were trained as Paladins after the first war (against the Draenor orcs) after Northshire priests were attacked. Undead came later. But yes, they were trained to still do what priests do, but also fight.
    True, Orcs came before the Scourge as a threat to humanity, Orcs had Necrolytes who summoned undead from their fallen troops.

As well as Death Knights (not to be confused with the current ones).
    Last edited by Teri; 2018-02-12 at 06:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nonsense.
    Pretty sure my holy paladin has a big ass two handed hammer that I can smash people in the face with.

Holy Paladins are basically Blizzard's answer to Clerics, one of the most iconic RPG healers. Priests aren't nearly as well established in the world of RPGs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
    The Orcs had undead. Orcish Necrolytes used necromancy to raise the dead during the first and second wars, and Gul'dan created Death Knights (Teron Gorefiend was the first Death Knight) during the Second War by transplanting the souls of fallen orc warlocks into the bodies of humans.

They were not created for the purpose of fighting undead and demons/shadow, they were created to be more durable healers. However it was discovered after their creation that they happened to be extremely potent combatants, especially against the Death Knights and Warlocks of the Horde.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverie View Post
    that is untrue
    paladins are known to be very weak and fragile
    they use holy magic to carry their armour

do you even know what a paladin is?
    Not in WoW lore. Paladins are generally warriors of faith, trained in the light. There were some priests who trained as Paladins, but they weren't as common because they lacked the physicality for it. This is how the original human Paladins were founded. Whether the Dreanei did something else I don't know, but judging from their appearance I'm going to say no.

- - - Updated - - -

that is untrue

Not in WoW lore. Paladins are generally warriors of faith, trained in the light. There were some priests who trained as Paladins, but they weren't as common because they lacked the physicality for it. This is how the original human Paladins were founded. Whether the Dreanei did something else I don't know, but judging from their appearance I'm going to say no.

10+ Year Old Account
    that is untrue

Citation desperately needed.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Your reasoning for holy paladins not making sense genuinely confuses me.
    Last edited by Theoris; 2018-02-12 at 06:58 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    First 5 paladins of the silver hand:

Uther the Lightbringer who was a "knight and apprentice cleric".

Gavinrad the Dire was a pious knight.

Turalyon was a noble who became a priest before training in combat to become a paladin.

Tirion Fordring was a warrior, knighted at age 18 and becane interested in the light, later becoming a paladin.

And Saidan Dathrohan who was a big ass knight who again found *faith* and started hanging out with Alonsus Faol and the buddies above.

So really most paladins historically (if their originators are anything to judge by) are knights and warriors who find jesus and learn how to add smite to their cleave. Though exceptions exist a la Turalyon who actually was a priest first. Im not citing my work individually, took 5 minutes to wowwiki those dudes at lunch for the info. Maybe this adds to the conversation.

Im also going to add that hpalys do make sense if you consider them to be a medic to the priests doctor. Every battle field needs a healer and whos going to send someone wearing cloth to the frontlines? The healers would need armor as protection. Also they can shockadin people to death better than priests can smite. You heard it here first. #shockadin2018
    Last edited by Nuniqt; 2018-02-12 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Pretty sure my holy paladin has a big ass two handed hammer that I can smash people in the face with.
    I love you.

#endthread

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    pretty sure you stay back and at best cast judgment once in a while, and if you tried to melee anything, a hunters pet would outdamage your "big hammer" ;]

pretty sure you stay back and at best cast judgment once in a while, and if you tried to melee anything, a hunters pet would outdamage your "big hammer" ;]
    That is also just plain wrong. Since you are now going into the gameplay more than the lore: Holy Paladins can dish out a lot of damage with the right talents and also in dungeons a lot of Paladins use the AOE healing talent instead of the Lightbringer one, making us go into melee range even more.

7+ Year Old Account
    F that. A good shockadin can pace a dps with cds up on a single target (read bosses). They do drop off pretty quick but Ive run over 1mil dps on a mythic kill this tier as a shockadin which isnt something to shake a stick at.