Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What is solid GPU that won't break the bank?

In an ideal world where money isn't an issue, I'd probably buy the best graphics card on the market. But back to reality.. What is a solid GPU that won't break the bank and will handle any game with medium to high settings on a 1080p monitor

gpu prices on mid end cards(usually the sweet spot for performance/price) are too high lately thanks to mining craze and ram prices, only suitable gpus for 1080p that dont cost a kidney are 1050ti and rx 560(only the 1024 sp model), but even those are overpriced but still affordable, my pick is 1050ti

I came here to second 1050ti. There's a 2gb and 4gb versions. Price difference not being that much, would opt for 4gb.

"In fact, NVIDIA says that the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti should be able to handle 1080p gaming with medium to high graphics settings and FXAA, MFAA, or 4xMSAA enabled."

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    What kind of games do you play? What is your budget? What is your current system?
    I play all types of games.

WoW, League, RPGs, Shooters.

I currently have a 960. I would like to not really spend over 300 dollars on a GPU..

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OBM View Post

I currently have a 960. I would like to not really spend over 300 dollars on a GPU..
    Just keep the 960. Nothing, not even a 970 is properly affordable and a decent upgrade anymore.

I'm glad I re-bought the 1080 Ti RIGHT BEFORE the spike in prices, but fuck, this is getting out-of-hand and is really screwing over innocent folks like you who just want to upgrade for gaming. =/ I honestly feel bad for you and everyone who is or will be in your position. Save your money for now. I think when others see you have a 960 they'll agree the 1050 Ti would be a waste of money. The fact that these two GPUs trade blows doesn't convince me this would be a smart buy - at all. Ya might get a few extra fps in WoW, but you might lose fps in other games. I genuinely wouldn't bother.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...-Ti/3165vs3649
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    With how high prices are on GPUs, its almost cheaper to buy a prebuilt with a 1080 in it, and just take it and put it in your rig, and part out the prebuilt

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Just keep the 960. Nothing, not even a 970 is properly affordable and a decent upgrade anymore.

I'm glad I re-bought the 1080 Ti RIGHT BEFORE the spike in prices, but fuck, this is getting out-of-hand and is really screwing over innocent folks like you who just want to upgrade for gaming. =/ I honestly feel bad for you and everyone who is or will be in your position. Save your money for now. I think when others see you have a 960 they'll agree the 1050 Ti would be a waste of money. The fact that these two GPUs trade blows doesn't convince me this would be a smart buy - at all. Ya might get a few extra fps in WoW, but you might lose fps in other games. I genuinely wouldn't bother.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...-Ti/3165vs3649
    What about the 1060? I'm actually looking to completely upgrade my entire PC. But just starting out with deciding on the graphics card first. I have an i5 that I am interested in upgrading to an i7. I like to stream as well and as it stands now, I can stream with the i5, but I can also feel the PC being slightly sluggish when playing games.

But if the prices are out of wack right now on everything.. I don't mind waiting.

With that budget, I think you can grab a 1060. I really enjoy mine in the PC I have it in. I believe it cost me mid-200s.

What about the 1060? I'm actually looking to completely upgrade my entire PC. But just starting out with deciding on the graphics card first. I have an i5 that I am interested in upgrading to an i7. I like to stream as well and as it stands now, I can stream with the i5, but I can also feel the PC being slightly sluggish when playing games.

But if the prices are out of wack right now on everything.. I don't mind waiting.
    You have no reason to upgrade, 960 can handle shit just fine for awhile.

The next series should be out averagely in the next 3 months, give or take after July the smaller cards should be out too.

Prices will never go back to normal unless Nvidia/AMD block the mining algorithms on certain cards and unlock them on others, which i dont even know if its possible, or when Bitcoin will lose enough value to not be a gain again for awhile.

Despite what they are saying,Nvidia and AMD love the extra money and this whole "LEAVE THEM FOR THE GAMERS" is a pile of bullshit.

Give it another 10 months-year till a full upgrade, personally.
    Last edited by potis; 2018-02-12 at 06:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkrypt View Post
    With that budget, I think you can grab a 1060. I really enjoy mine in the PC I have it in. I believe it cost me mid-200s.
    Yeah, except, look at these prices dude.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=-1&isNodeId=1

- - - Updated - - -

I guess if you can find a GTX 1060 for $300 or less, then fine. I don't think the upgrade is completely necessary. If you were gaming at a higher resolution, sure, but I think you should wait for the next series of GPUs, unless you want to go for like a 1070 Ti, but again, way out of your budget. Hell, most 1060s are even outside of your budget now.

"A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverie View Post
    how much money do you have in your bank?
    Fair question, honestly, though he did mention he doesn't want to spend over $300 on the GPU.
    "A flower.

Yeah, except, look at these prices dude.

Holy crap, that's WAY more than I bought for at Best Buy like 9 months ago. I heard that BitCoin miners were causing the prices to go up. I guess it's true, then? My EVGA 6GB 1060 was like $289.99 off the shelf in a retail store.

No GPU really breaks the bank.. I bought my 1080 back in the day for 800 euro... not really that much..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    No GPU really breaks the bank.. I bought my 1080 back in the day for 800 euro... not really that much..
    Dude, not everyone is in the same situation. Is it so hard to understand?
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    LOL, yeah, not everyone has $1,000 USD to drop on a GPU.

Just here to humble brag, I'd guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL, yeah, not everyone has $1,000 USD to drop on a GPU.

Just here to humble brag, I'd guess.
    Unfortunately they do exist. :/
    "A flower.

If you can find them for the correct price I’d say GTX 1060 or RX 570

Unfortunately they do exist. :/
    Do you know if 1060s have risen in price due to crypto-currency mining? I don't want to get too off-topic, but I'm shocked by the prices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you know if 1060s have risen in price due to crypto-currency mining? I don't want to get too off-topic, but I'm shocked by the prices.
    Yes. /10char
    "A flower.

Upgrade everything, but keep the 960 for now. It's the recommended GPu for Battle for Azeroth, so you should be fine for a while.
    Get a fast i5, possibly overclockable to squizz the life out of it and a matching mobo, but your 960 is fine for what you do. Don't think an i7 will show a dramatic performance increase for streaming.