Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Haven't played in a long time: how's the experience now?

I played HS during the first couple of expansions and eventually stopped because, well let's be honest... it was a very frustrating experience to always face the same handful of OP decks against other players. It also left little room to try some fun decks for yourself, because only the OP decks would work well.

How is it now? Did they improve the experience? Or is it still the same bundle of frustration it was in it's first year?

Deleted
    Okay, so i am in your shoes. and i can tell you my experinse.
    IT sucks and is not a good experience. so I return and all my decks are now invalid. alright... so i am pretty much just a basic "vanila" deck.. it is boring and hard, you will meet all those "top easy OP deck" and the I have bought all cards since the beta, so i have a mega legendary fine tuned deck. I tried it for 3 days and i quit aigan.
    they have not improved the experinece, if anything they made it worst, as all you had, is not gone so welcome to a noobier vs many fine tuned OP decks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hearthstone isn't really the type of game you leave and come back to. Apart from that I don't think the game is in that bad of a state at the moment relative to other periods.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ragemv View Post
    Okay, so i am in your shoes. and i can tell you my experinse.
    IT sucks and is not a good experience. so I return and all my decks are now invalid. alright... so i am pretty much just a basic "vanila" deck.. it is boring and hard, you will meet all those "top easy OP deck" and the I have bought all cards since the beta, so i have a mega legendary fine tuned deck. I tried it for 3 days and i quit aigan.
    they have not improved the experinece, if anything they made it worst, as all you had, is not gone so welcome to a noobier vs many fine tuned OP decks.
    So what you're telling me is, you came back after a long time - after you had played a few expansions, and so were familiar with the fact that metas shift - and were legitimately surprised that your archaic decks no longer held up?

You're surprised that 3 days of effort isn't comparable to several years of expacs?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I played HS during the first couple of expansions and eventually stopped because, well let's be honest... it was a very frustrating experience to always face the same handful of OP decks against other players. It also left little room to try some fun decks for yourself, because only the OP decks would work well.

How is it now? Did they improve the experience? Or is it still the same bundle of frustration it was in it's first year?
    I would say it's worse now. I've seen tier 1 net decks all they way down to rank 20. A few expansions ago I could pretty much play whatever I wanted to rank 10. Now I can't even break 15 unless I'm playing a decent deck. If ur going to get back into the game, dust all ur old stuff and make 1 or 2 tier 1/2 decks and build up from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    So what you're telling me is, you came back after a long time - after you had played a few expansions, and so were familiar with the fact that metas shift - and were legitimately surprised that your archaic decks no longer held up?

You're surprised that 3 days of effort isn't comparable to several years of expacs?
    3 days is enough time to see what is going to be required to even contend. The power gains, where as expected, are now very steep not only for returning players but huge for new players.

Catch up mechanisms are lacking with accusation of coins being soooo slow.

Deleted
    Allright, decided to just jump right in and see how it is.
    Crafted a Tier 1 Lock (Cube Lock) and Priest (Highlander) deck and I'm climbing the ladder pretty fast.

There seem to be a lot of Priest decks now, which I guess is the strongest class?
    Overall it's not too bad, but I still see many of the same decks in every match.
    Last edited by mmoce9a47a3159; 2018-02-13 at 02:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virtually everyone in my friends list has stopped playing, it's hard to even catch someone to complete Play a Friend.

One guy logged out instantly the moment I invited him to Play a Friend turning down 80 free gold. That must also say a lot about the current state of affairs compared to the old days when people used to bend over backwards for free gold. Now it's like whatever and they are doing YOU a favour.

HS is, and always will be, the same as any other ccg. There will be Tier 1 decks, and there will be all the rest.

I recently started playing again after quiting after Naxxrammas. It doesnt really feel all that different to me than it did than. With the new card system where old sets are unusable in standard I de'd a bunch of cards I cant use in standard to make a reasonable deck.

Honestly if you want to try it again I would wait until the rotation. In about a month or so 3 card sets are rotating out so there will be less of a card gap for new players. One of my biggest frustrations now is a card I want is from the Karazhan pack but I dont want to spend 20$ or 2000 gold to get it. Once the rotation happens that wont be a problem.

Imo it will be always the same and exact the way you describe it. Some boring top meta decks all over the place, other decks get destroyed by them. 90% of innovative, cool or fun cards will never see gameplay in competition. You need to find out for yourself why you play.

Nowadays i just play meme decks and i stick between rank 13-20 since i cba to invest time into those boring net deck games.

I think its a great game and you can be very creative, but its for fun. Wouldnt invest to much energy in it.

I've played this game since alpha and have never bought a pack, used only gold.

I'd have to say that the last couple of expansions have been the first time I've reconsidered this strategy. It's much harder to keep up now due to a proliferation of ridiculously powerful cards in newer expansions, many of which are epic or legendary.

For example I've been trying to make a cubelock for weeks but I can't even really start because it hasn't given me a single cube... and I'm saving my dust for legendaries...

The game balance is pretty awful, the recent nerfs helped but certain decks and cards are just fucking insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

This is the Hearthstone experience now and forever.

always face the same handful of OP decks
    I mainly play Wild now because I can make fun decks and actually have a chance instead of just getting queued into the same 3 FOTM decks. Wild still has some tryhard decks but they seem to be 1 in every 3 games instead of every single game.
    ☭Politics Understander and Haver of Good Takes☭Posting Is A Human Right☭
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    If I was in his boots (and forced to join the SS in 1939 or whenever he joined), I would have tried to liberate the camp myself or die trying. He did not. He traded his life for the life of thousands of people, thus he should face the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

Just stop playing standard like a sucker and you'll start to enjoy the game more.

Seriously playing Standard any time instead of Wild and you'll have no one but yourself to blame.

Blizzard WANTS you to play Standard. THEY KNOW all the known strategies before the next expansion comes out. Therefore, they can control the experience.

Wild does not suffer this problem.

Friends don't let friends play standard.

Deleted
    Btw, what happened to Warriors?

I havent faced one in weeks.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's the same as every expansion/adventure is after the honeymoon-phase is over.
    At first there's a lot of variety and then it comes down to a hand full of netdecks making up the standard meta.

But if you like Priest, Paladin and Warlock then you'll have fun I guess!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutri View Post
    It's the same as every expansion/adventure is after the honeymoon-phase is over.
    At first there's a lot of variety and then it comes down to a hand full of netdecks making up the standard meta.

But if you like Priest, Paladin and Warlock then you'll have fun I guess!
    Yeah, those 3 are most common it seems, especially Priests that can drop legendaries every turn starting round 4... and then re-summon them every round.

Rank 8-10 seems to have a lot of Druids though, the types that stack armor.

Yeah, those 3 are most common it seems, especially Priests that can drop legendaries every turn starting round 4... and then re-summon them every round.
    I mean i might be wrong, but when a priest drops Barnes and summons a Obsidian statue its just autoloss at turn 4. I meet this deck every day, from all the games i made maybe one comeback after such a turn 4. How lame is that shit. Its the same as Warlock with lackey.

I really hope blizzard will fix this mana cheating issue since its the most boring thig since they released the game.

For a new players its like "hhhmmmm turn 3, i put down this 3 mana turtle seems smart"...waiting for turn 4 priest...Barnes-Yshaa-Obsidian Statue...23 mana play in turn 4...gg.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PPN View Post
    I mean i might be wrong, but when a priest drops Barnes and summons a Obsidian statue its just autoloss at turn 4. I meet this deck every day, from all the games i made maybe one comeback after such a turn 4. How lame is that shit. Its the same as Warlock with lackey.

I really hope blizzard will fix this mana cheating issue since its the most boring thig since they released the game.

For a new players its like "hhhmmmm turn 3, i put down this 3 mana turtle seems smart"...waiting for turn 4 priest...Barnes-Yshaa-Obsidian Statue...23 mana play in turn 4...gg.
    Yeah, as soon as I notice a priest like that having the right hand, I concede right away since it's a guaranteed loss.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nothing but aggro on the ladder, with the occasional warlock and priest. So the experience is extremely boring currently. It's free to try, but I'd wait until next expac.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!