Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I got a new 1050ti last week for about $230. pretty good I guess in this current market.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Just keep the 960. Nothing, not even a 970 is properly affordable and a decent upgrade anymore.

I'm glad I re-bought the 1080 Ti RIGHT BEFORE the spike in prices, but fuck, this is getting out-of-hand and is really screwing over innocent folks like you who just want to upgrade for gaming. =/ I honestly feel bad for you and everyone who is or will be in your position. Save your money for now. I think when others see you have a 960 they'll agree the 1050 Ti would be a waste of money. The fact that these two GPUs trade blows doesn't convince me this would be a smart buy - at all. Ya might get a few extra fps in WoW, but you might lose fps in other games. I genuinely wouldn't bother.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...-Ti/3165vs3649
    I'll second what DeltrusDisc is saying. A 960 is best for you right now simply because of the GPU market currently. Worst part is, Nvidia isn't the one gouging the prices..it's the retailers. The amount of time it takes to mine a singular bitcoin to me doesn't seem worth it, but who am I to judge. A 960 for 1080p is still a solid choice and you should wait until the next generation of GPUs come out before buying anything.

Directed at Deltrus....I am kicking myself right now for not upgrading to a Ti from my 1080 with the upgrade program before time ran out...REALLY dumb move on my part lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    You have no reason to upgrade, 960 can handle shit just fine for awhile.

The next series should be out averagely in the next 3 months, give or take after July the smaller cards should be out too.

Prices will never go back to normal unless Nvidia/AMD block the mining algorithms on certain cards and unlock them on others, which i dont even know if its possible, or when Bitcoin will lose enough value to not be a gain again for awhile.

Despite what they are saying,Nvidia and AMD love the extra money and this whole "LEAVE THEM FOR THE GAMERS" is a pile of bullshit.

Give it another 10 months-year till a full upgrade, personally.
    Both Nvidia and AMD AFAIK are not getting any extra money from this because they aren't setting the price at which cards are selling. The retailers are setting the price....now I could be 100% wrong, but Nvidia seems just as frustrated over this as consumers.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, except, look at these prices dude.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=-1&isNodeId=1

- - - Updated - - -

I guess if you can find a GTX 1060 for $300 or less, then fine. I don't think the upgrade is completely necessary. If you were gaming at a higher resolution, sure, but I think you should wait for the next series of GPUs, unless you want to go for like a 1070 Ti, but again, way out of your budget. Hell, most 1060s are even outside of your budget now.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=-1&isNodeId=1
    LOL I spent $100 less on my 1080....Glad I bought my card before the mining craze happened.

- - - Updated - - -

Dude, not everyone is in the same situation. Is it so hard to understand?
    I mean....he has a point though...yes not everyone is in the same situation...but I look at the price as an investment....800 euros to last him probably 3-5 years at a minimum...that's not a lot of money per year. Not everyone thinks like this, and that's fine too.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I still have a gtx 670, how about you send me your 970 when you get a new card? Wish I could go out and buy a titan or 1080 or something lol.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    Upgrade everything, but keep the 960 for now. It's the recommended GPu for Battle for Azeroth, so you should be fine for a while.
    Get a fast i5, possibly overclockable to squizz the life out of it and a matching mobo, but your 960 is fine for what you do. Don't think an i7 will show a dramatic performance increase for streaming.
    The i7 absolutely would help for streaming.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    I'll second what DeltrusDisc is saying. A 960 is best for you right now simply because of the GPU market currently. Worst part is, Nvidia isn't the one gouging the prices..it's the retailers. The amount of time it takes to mine a singular bitcoin to me doesn't seem worth it, but who am I to judge. A 960 for 1080p is still a solid choice and you should wait until the next generation of GPUs come out before buying anything.

Directed at Deltrus....I am kicking myself right now for not upgrading to a Ti from my 1080 with the upgrade program before time ran out...REALLY dumb move on my part lol

- - - Updated - - -

Both Nvidia and AMD AFAIK are not getting any extra money from this because they aren't setting the price at which cards are selling. The retailers are setting the price....now I could be 100% wrong, but Nvidia seems just as frustrated over this as consumers.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL I spent $100 less on my 1080....Glad I bought my card before the mining craze happened.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean....he has a point though...yes not everyone is in the same situation...but I look at the price as an investment....800 euros to last him probably 3-5 years at a minimum...that's not a lot of money per year. Not everyone thinks like this, and that's fine too.
    Trust me, no one is mining Bitcoin. We all are mining altcoins. I'm probably averaging like $10~15/day depending on the going rate of Zcash (ZEC) but ultimately it doesn't matter until I ca$h in.

It's not a lot per year but you don't use a mid-tier GPU that long, at least most people won't be satisfied with one for that long. Usually 2-3 years was my limit. That's if you don't OC it to death! Either way, if someone has X budget, just because a GPU isn't a lot per year, if it's too much of X budget, then it's too much, and thus it "breaks the bank," theoretically. So, either way, people need to not humble-brag and actually add to the discussion or not talk. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Either way, if someone has X budget, just because a GPU isn't a lot per year, if it's too much of X budget, then it's too much, and thus it "breaks the bank," theoretically. So, either way, people need to not humble-brag and actually add to the discussion or not talk. :P
    To be fair, no number was given in the OP. When your only metric is "not break the bank," assumptions MUST be made. What was the number you thought? $100? $500? $1000? What is the default position? You can't fault someone for using some projection bias there. If it didn't break his bank, and it doesn't break others' banks, why should it break OP's bank?

To the OP: get your new computer first and keep your card. At least then you can evaluate IF you need an upgrade, and how much of one you would need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Murder can be justified and to a certain extent I believe genocide can be justified aswell.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hate the current market. If my 290x just out of the blue died and I had only a few hundred Canadian bucks to spend I'd be royally fucked since that'd only buy me a 1050 Ti which is a pretty chunky downgrade for what would have otherwise afforded me a 570 which is only a slight downgrade in most applications before the prices and availability went to shit.

It wasn't that shitty though. I was thinking about side-grading to a 580 for a while for the warranty and slight performance boost but thanks to the rising market I was saving for like four months and realized I could afford a 1080 last week. Not that their prices are any better but found a decently priced model and now I turned a short term mid-tier purchase in to a somewhat long term investment since I only see 1080p for the foreseeable future.

The point is the more you wait the more you can save especially if what you have now is adequate for what you play. Invest it in other components, hoard it for when the GPU market isn't shit or whatever.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2018-02-13 at 12:26 AM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindark View Post
    To be fair, no number was given in the OP. When your only metric is "not break the bank," assumptions MUST be made. What was the number you thought? $100? $500? $1000? What is the default position? You can't fault someone for using some projection bias there. If it didn't break his bank, and it doesn't break others' banks, why should it break OP's bank?

To the OP: get your new computer first and keep your card. At least then you can evaluate IF you need an upgrade, and how much of one you would need.
    The OP said in a reply he doesn't want to spend more than $300 on a GPU and he currently has a GTX 960.

It's sort of an unspoken rule on most forums and certainly here in the computer forums of mmo-champ that you read the replies, lest you get called out for asking a question, the second or the third or God forbid the fourth or more time.
    "A flower.

The GTX 1050 or 1060 will do great for 1080p at a decent price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    The GTX 1050 or 1060 will do great for 1080p at a decent price.
    Key phrasing being in bold.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    You have no reason to upgrade, 960 can handle shit just fine for awhile.

The next series should be out averagely in the next 3 months, give or take after July the smaller cards should be out too.

Prices will never go back to normal unless Nvidia/AMD block the mining algorithms on certain cards and unlock them on others, which i dont even know if its possible, or when Bitcoin will lose enough value to not be a gain again for awhile.

Despite what they are saying,Nvidia and AMD love the extra money and this whole "LEAVE THEM FOR THE GAMERS" is a pile of bullshit.

Give it another 10 months-year till a full upgrade, personally.
    Bitcoin miners do not use graphics cards to mine unless they are noobs. An actual mining rig is a hell of a lot faster at mining Bitcoins and less expensive than some rigs with multiple cards. The demand for graphics cards is due to other cryptocurrencies that are worthwhile to farm via graphics cards. Bitcoin is not.

Any gpu right now is inflated by around 70% msrp, I would recommend sticking with the 960 you have.

You can buy the cards direct from EVGA at RRP(never in stock). It is definitely the retailers.

I got my 1080 at retail from Amazon in early November .
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Enkrypt View Post
    LOL, yeah, not everyone has $1,000 USD to drop on a GPU.

Just here to humble brag, I'd guess.
    What is 800 if you have a job? If you cannot afford a 800 euro GPU you are doing something wrong in life OR you have other priorities then gaming.. which is fine..

Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    What is 800 if you have a job? If you cannot afford a 800 euro GPU you are doing something wrong in life OR you have other priorities then gaming.. which is fine..
    Tbh, it really depends where you live and what you want. Some people have kids, house loans etc, money just doesn't grow on trees for some.

Now I don't have that problem, but I still refuse to pay 800€ for something that looses value as fast as a GPU does.. Maybe if the top line would be 500€, but 800€ no way, considering you still need a decent monitor to gain from the extra computing power.

Quote Originally Posted by bshoults View Post
    I came here to second 1050ti. There's a 2gb and 4gb versions. Price difference not being that much, would opt for 4gb.

"In fact, NVIDIA says that the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti should be able to handle 1080p gaming with medium to high graphics settings and FXAA, MFAA, or 4xMSAA enabled."
    Should? The 980 gtx demolishes 1080 and 2k resolutions. How come the graphics card from the following generation (a TI variant at that) is marked as "SHOULD" be able to handle medium to high.

So confusing :/

The issue is more complicated. First, there's shortage of flash memory chips which cause the huge increase in RAM and GPU prices (VRAM uses the same chips). In a world where usual fluctiation for manufacturer price was around 5$, now the prices for AMD/NVidia have increased for about 30$ each card. So, baseline, cards cost more due to component shortage.

Add to this the cyptocurrency bubble, and there's a sudden spike in demand. Retailers are the ones who set the price at this point and they're the ones making money out of it. Sure, Nvidia/AMD get more revenue out of GPUs, but it's a fraction of what you paid. Plus, all the rest of "gaming related gear" rests on shelves because a) miners don't care shit about that and b) given RAM/GPU prices a lot less gamers are willing to buy them since budget have risen quite a lot.

TL;DR: it's not AMD/NVidia's fault, and they cannot simply "make more cards". There's a lot running under this situation.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    No GPU really breaks the bank.. I bought my 1080 back in the day for 800 euro... not really that much..
    1080ti was about 800 here a little while ago, now, thanks for those god damn f****** miners (yes i hate them) it`s close to 1000

#salty

1050ti best budget gpu from nvidia . Don't know it's amd counterpart though

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    Upgrade everything, but keep the 960 for now. It's the recommended GPu for Battle for Azeroth, so you should be fine for a while.
    Get a fast i5, possibly overclockable to squizz the life out of it and a matching mobo, but your 960 is fine for what you do. Don't think an i7 will show a dramatic performance increase for streaming.
    Dunno, I have 970 and even now it struggles in 20 man raids. 30 man is pure aids.

Quote Originally Posted by myhv View Post
    Dunno, I have 970 and even now it struggles in 20 man raids. 30 man is pure aids.
    Thats your CPU, unless you have SSAAx4 or SSAx4+CMAA with Ultra High Shadows and View distance 7+ during raids, or render scale 200% your GPU couldnt care less that WoW is running.

And if you do have those settings then it means you have bad settings for raiding