Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Well where did it happen then?
    Indiana. Pretty far from the border, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    Indiana. Pretty far from the border, I'd say.
    That's fucking weird. I have spent a significant amount of time in IN and lived in IL during college and was not once asked if I was a US citizen. I have also spent a lot of time in northern Washington state.

Clearly I am talking about scenarios like in the OP.
    You mean daily bus checks? Sounds awful similar to me. They stop the bus and enter and ask citizenship status of everyone. Same thing happens here for public transportation. The article even says the person was "startled" when he looked up to see the border patrol agent. He had no idea who all was asked as he was oblivious to what was going on around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    You mean daily bus checks? Sounds awful similar to me. They stop the bus and enter and ask citizenship status of everyone. Same thing happens here for public transportation. The article even says the person was "startled" when he looked up to see the border patrol agent. He had no idea who all was asked as he was oblivious to what was going on around him.
    Are you for real? I have never had this once happen in Oregon or Alaska or Illinois or even Arizona when I lived there for a year. This sounds like fascist police state shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    Regardless of whether this is okay to do, what's the point of asking if someone is a citizen if you're not going to ask for any proof? From the story, it seems the agent took yes for an answer and moved on. Seems pretty fucking stupid.
    Looks like they look at ID as well. What happens if someone doesn't have id with them I wonder. I don't always carry mine with me. Like why should I.

Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    Right, because so much about border controlled changed from Bush->Obama->Trump.

*Rollseyes* Your "anglo-american" heritage is showing.
    Seeing as how I actually know border patrol agents, I can state pretty plainly that enforcement was essentially non-existent during Obama's administration. If someone actually answers that they are not citizens or they find illegals hiding in vehicles, they were ordered to not detain them.

That's fucking weird. I have spent a significant amount of time in IN and lived in IL during college and was not once asked if I was a US citizen. I have also spent a lot of time in northern Washington state.
    I just took it as a normal US thing. This was about six or seven years ago, and it was the longest I'd actually stayed there until that point. I'm not gonna claim it was a regular occurrence for me, so I could see it getting annoying if it became one, but it did happen and I'm pretty white.

OMG a black man was asked if he was a US citizen? The absolute horror.

Facism is alive in Amerikkka.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

Glory to Artstotzka.

Are you for real? I have never had this once happen in Oregon or Alaska or Illinois or even Arizona when I lived there for a year. This sounds like fascist police state shit.
    The Canadian border isn't quite the same as the Mexican border. There are check points set up all over the place that stop every vehicle. These checkpoints scan for drugs, explosives and even radiation. My wife had a radioactive isotope for a heart test and we came through on the way home and wasplstopped and had to pull aside to be searched with radiation monitoring equipment. The doctor even gave us a note because he knew this would happen.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The reason it's that way is because of all the illegal immigration from Mexico, it was ridiculous having illegal immigrants run a mile from the border and you couldn't catch them so they extended the Border Patrol's authority to a 100 miles.
    God! That debunked claim is still being used is it?
    The 100 mile authority of the Border Patrol came about when they along with ICE and Customs were absorbed into Homeland Security after 9/11 and had nothing to do with Illegals from Mexico. It also gave them the authority to search your baggage, your Electronics, and your person within the 100 mile zone from any border or coastline!

The Canadian border isn't quite the same as the Mexican border. There are check points set up all over the place that stop every vehicle. These checkpoints scan for drugs, explosives and even radiation. My wife had a radioactive isotope for a heart test and we came through on the way home and wasplstopped and had to pull aside to be searched with radiation monitoring equipment. The doctor even gave us a note because he knew this would happen.
    You do know that we have a longer border between Canada then Mexico? That you just need a row boat to cross the St. Lawrence. That there some towns and cities the cross the Border without a single checkpoint in Noth Dakota, Colorado, and other border states.
    You can walk onto a Native reservation in Canada and then walk out into the US without ever seeing customs or a checkpoint!
    Last edited by Ramahan; 2018-02-13 at 01:34 AM.
    If you are going to say that the majority of players think the same as you at least qualify that too mean the other kids who take the same shortbus as you!

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Asking people on the streets whether they are citizens sounds pretty fascist to me. It's small steps like that. North Americans become ever more comfortable with law enforcement overreach. Sad.

Luckily we got open borders here.
    open borders sound like a horrible idea i don't want Americans all over Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramahan View Post
    The 100 mile authority of the Border Patrol came about when they along with ICE and Customs were absorbed into Homeland Security after 9/11 and had nothing to do with Illegals from Mexico. It also gave them the authority to search your baggage, your Electronics, and your person within the 100 mile zone from any border or coastline!
    You may want to educate yourself a bit. I know this is not correct just because there are border patrol checkpoints that have been in place longer than I've lived at my current location which is much longer than since ICE/CBP were absorbed into Homeland Security.

10+ Year Old Account
    This happens because they don't like Canadians. Can't blame them.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Asking people on the streets whether they are citizens sounds pretty fascist to me. It's small steps like that. North Americans become ever more comfortable with law enforcement overreach. Sad.

Luckily we got open borders here.
    You probably should go back to school because that's not what fascism is.

You do know that we have a longer border between Canada then Mexico? That you just need a row boat to cross the St. Lawrence. That there some towns and cities the cross the Border without a single checkpoint in Noth Dakota, Colorado, and other border states.
    You can walk onto a Native reservation in Canada and then walk out into the US without ever seeing customs or a checkpoint!
    I'm aware of that fact and was even what I was saying. There was even a story not too long ago about a library that had entrances on both sides of the border that was being used to smuggle guns into Canada.

But again, you should really educate yourself. Colorado is not a border state.

Unless 9/11 happened in 1953, you are mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    You need an ID for most public travel in the US. You’re not going to board a grey hound in Alberta without an ID either.
    you don't need an id to ride say a city bus and you don't need an id to catch many of those buses that travel to other states

What a stupid waste of time. Not to mention an invitation to profiling.

Look one post above you. One posted before you could even ask.
    You sure TheWalkinDude is white?

Is he swarthy? Kek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What a stupid waste of time. Not to mention an invitation to profiling.

You sure TheWalkinDude is white?

Is he swarthy? Kek.
    I have no idea. But I was referring to one post above Celista which was me.