Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Hyenas and Wild Dogs - mammals

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    Humans can outrun everything.
    That is factually false. Humans are very slow, even if we can travel long distances. If you encounter a bear or large cat in the woods, you cannot outrun it.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Humans are at the top when we've got all our tools / are prepped. Drop a random human in the wilderness with very little, and its a tie between humans / whatever apex predator is in the area (bears / wolves / tigers / etc).

Hell, even WITH tools, stuff happens. Like the poacher that got eaten alive by lions recently.

Although the minute we start swimming, its sharks. We are so out of our element that sharks can overcome even stuff like spears.
    The ocean, and its predators

Sharks
    Orcas
    squid
    sperm whales
    sword fish
    eel

The ocean is one giant NOPE

Quote Originally Posted by Toogoodman View Post
    The ocean, and its predators

Sharks
    Orcas
    squid
    sperm whales
    sword fish
    eel

The ocean is one giant NOPE
    Yet....humans and our tools can kill every single one of those things with relative ease.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    I'm so sorry your mom had to go through that experience.

But yeah, they're ferocious and highly resilient.
    So are wolverines. Which have been known to make Grizzlies back off.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I can't answer honestly about a ranking of apex predators if not accounting for current conditions. Most people around the world live in an urban area and have never had to create their own tools or fight an apex predator.
    And you think an "apex predator" would survive preying on humans in an urban area?

10+ Year Old Account
    Most animals that would be considered Apex predators have a few distinct qualities in common.

Generally that have a pretty well developed ability to adapt to almost any environment, and whatever limitations that do exist, are generally over come through cooperation, and the ability to communicate in a organized structure.

I would say Human's might be Apex only insofar that our humanity stays in tact

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Our tools are weapons. So, us.

It doesn't matter what is second through one million.
    Which tools specifically?

Not that I disagree, but I am seeing this thing about tools being thrown around like it is something particularly important. Very often those that make the tools are very rarely the ones that are proficient as using them.

Also society alone I don't think thrives because of tools, especially if you lack that most fundamental element and that is the human brain.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Can't out run infection.
    Hahahaha NICE ONE ! HAHAHAHAHAHA! Damn good point.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Most animals that would be considered Apex predators have a few distinct qualities in common.

Generally that have a pretty well developed ability to adapt to almost any environment, and whatever limitations that do exist, are generally over come through cooperation, and the ability to communicate in a organized structure.
    Starving polar bears would disagree. Maybe they just need to cooperate more to build some kayaks?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Starving polar bears would disagree. Maybe they just need to cooperate more to build some kayaks?
    I get the sarcasm I am not exactly sure what you mean.

Polar bears aren't victims because of any inability they have, animals do starve to death even among predators. The reason Polar Bears are in danger is because of human ignorance and stupidity.

Or are you of the belief that saving Polar Bears along with other creatures should be done for simply and purely emotional reasons, rather than the most important detail being we actually need them?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    What species of spec predators do you rank the highest?

For me it’s

1. Humans

Smartest creatures, capable of mass destruction
    2. Grey Wolves
    Obviously only applies to them in packs, very smart very deadly
    3. Hippos
    I’ve seen hippos kill an entire pack of lions, I don’t know who could kill them other than humans
    4. Tigers
    Probably the scariest animal in terms of raw strength
    5. Gorilla
    Maybe my planet oft the apes fetish rubbing off but they scare the shit out of me. They are also super intelligent
    I didn't know that hippos killed lions - I knew hippos were fierce

Wolf packs are insanely dangerous. Not sure I agree about Gorillas being at the top, but definitely scary when they're pissed. VERY strong.

I think humans rank at the top - but an insurmountable margin. No other species on earth can even consider competing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get the sarcasm I am not exactly sure what you mean.

Polar bears aren't victims because of any inability they have, animals do starve to death even among predators. The reason Polar Bears are in danger is because of human ignorance and stupidity.

Or are you of the belief that saving Polar Bears along with other creatures should be done for simply and purely emotional reasons, rather than the most important detail being we actually need them?
    I guess my point was to make fun of people typing much prose mythologizing their concept of apex predators. Mostly looks like people bragging about their favorite spirit animal they happen to see on the Discovery Channel.

Above you mentioned that being an apex predator is a highly situational proposition. Contrary to post #155 when you imbued the notion of apex predators with mythical levels of adaptation and cooperation.

Happy Year of the Dog!

Deleted
    Humans are at the top when we've got all our tools / are prepped. Drop a random human in the wilderness with very little, and its a tie between humans / whatever apex predator is in the area (bears / wolves / tigers / etc).

Hell, even WITH tools, stuff happens. Like the poacher that got eaten alive by lions recently.

Although the minute we start swimming, its sharks. We are so out of our element that sharks can overcome even stuff like spears.
    Dunno never seen a shark fight a nuclear sub but it would make a good movie

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    I guess my point was to make fun of people typing much prose mythologizing their concept of apex predators. Mostly looks like people bragging about their favorite spirit animal they happen to see on the Discovery Channel.

Above you mentioned that being an apex predator is a highly situational proposition. Contrary to post #155 when you imbued the notion of apex predators with mythical levels of adaptation and cooperation.

Happy Year of the Dog!
    I get what you are saying, I think the term Apex Predator honestly denotes an exotic and misunderstood term. I am not sure how many Apex Predators have ever represented the threat to the entire ecosystem they rely on.

However everything I said it spot on, Polar Bears to my knowledge are solitary animals, they aren't to blame for their plight, but they most sure as hell aren't going to overcome it, and as someone else pointed out about a virus.

Deleted
    List of apex predators

1. Aids

2. Anti biotic resistant pneumonic plague

3. Antibiotic resistant bubonic plague

4. Antibiotic resistant tuberculosis

5. Antibiotic resistant smallpox

6. Ebola

7.humans

Bacteria and viruses are not predators, they are parasites. And the most successful parasites actually don't kill their host too quickly (if they kill it at all), which makes Ebola a pretty shitty (albeit deadly) parasite.

For the list, I agree that it really depends on the circumstances.

Leopards can be among the deadliest animals if they choose you as their prey as they are fucking stealthy, pretty strong and can climb up trees in no time.

Lions are really dangerous apex predators if they are on the hunt as a pack. But they tend to be lazy and if they are not in the mood for hunting, they are quite calm.

Polar Bears are probably the most dangerous of all bears as they are true carnivores (unlike the brown bear species from which they originated), super big, super strong and take anything up to their size as prey.

Tigers are the strongest of the big cats and they can swim better than any human on top of that

And yeah, the ocean ranking would look pretty different, as only the polar bear might possibly stand a chance against stuff like Orcas.

Regarding humans, I wouldn't call them apex predator, but they can defend themselves against many of the abovementioned threats. Humans are omnivores and while they do hunt animals, they would most likely not go after dangerous lot like tigers, lions etc. unless it is for trophy hunting. Now most of the abovementioned species would totally go for a human though if they are hungry...

Saltwater Crocodiles can probably take out any terrestrial predator when they are at full size. I wouldn’t consider Hippos a predator. They’re just hyper aggressive herbivores (although they do eat meat in rare circumstances). Crocodillians evolved to kill and eat dinosaurs, so attempting to compare modern predators is laughable.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, although I haven't heard of any dolphin attacks on humans (might not be paying attention though).

I'll give you orcas though. This was just a comparison as to what happens when Alpha pred humans hit the water. Much more likely to be killed by a shark because they are far more adaptive and far more likely to attack humans (even if it is mostly a case of mistaken identity).
    dolphins are horrible creatures that been know to torture others animals, and there is footage of them attempting to drown or rape humans(unsure if actual penetration occurred there is footage of them coming close to thou)

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Yet....humans and our tools can kill every single one of those things with relative ease.
    Go scuba diving with a spear gun in shark infested water, you're going to have a bad day.

Obviously a ship, with hundreds of humans and no way for the ocean animals to defend themselves from said humans will lose.

Which tools specifically?
    Books, medicine, knives, guns, spears, vehicles, hammers, screwdrivers, saws, etc. Literally all the tools made by humans are our advantage over nature's predators.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Books, medicine, knives, guns, spears, vehicles, hammers, screwdrivers, saws, etc. Literally all the tools made by humans are our advantage over nature's predators.
    "We got sonic, electronic ball-breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks." How Bill Paxton didn't win an Oscar for Best Supporting actor is a crime.

Though Xenomorphs definitely deserve a mention for best apex predator.

Or Androids that look Michael Fassbender for best apex predator if you happen to be Ridley Scott.