Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I think it’s hilarious all the people who have said ”the restaurant has passed paying the employee on to the customer”. Who the fuck else do you think pays the employee? It either comes from tips, or it comes from the cost of food. Both are paid for by the customer. Do any of you actually think that the restaurant owners pay the staff from their pocket and the rest of the restaurant breaks even? At least with tipping, it encourages the waitstaff to not be rude, slow, ignorant people. Just imagine if tipping wasn’t a thing… Everything on the menu now costs 10% more (to pay the employee 15% more), but your waitress can be absolutely terrible and you still have to pay it.
    CPU: Intel i7 3770K Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V PRO GPU: 2X Asus GTX 770 OC SLI Heatsink: Hyper 212 EVO RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600mhz SSD: 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO HDD: WD 2tb Caviar Black PSU: Corsair HX850 Case: CM HAF 932 Advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Wanting to deny reproductive rights to women, the right to work their jobs to sex workers, financial support for spouses, and especially financial support for children. In combination with the disdain for servers.

You're trying to frame it otherwise, but really, you are just an egoist who doesn't care about other people. Would be a lot more honest if you just owned it.

Sometimes beings are born that way. But don't lie about it.

Normal people understand that.
    1. Wanting to deny reproductive rights to women is bad

Oh, but killing unborn children isn't, right? Because you say so, right? Because you're Elba and you decide what's good and what isn't.

This is the fake moral high ground shit I was talking about earlier. You're just trying to create these narratives in your head where you're better than others when you're not.

2. You say financial support after divorce is good, why? I say it's not. Why should someone have access to your money? They didn't work for it.

3. Yes, prostitution is bad, and if you talk so much about morals you'd know it's always been seen as bad. Prostitutes take advantage of people and lead to the moral depravation of society. But hey tipping is more important amirite.

4. Yes, child support is bad. As long as it's a woman's choice if she carries the child to term it should not be a man's responsibility to pay for it.

you are just an egoist who doesn't care about other people.
    If that were true, I wouldn't help my friends or family all the time.

Now can you get off the Internet and go save some kittens, mr Holier-than-thou ?

I get a lack of empathy.
    I think you lack empathy and logic if you think child support and alimony isn't immoral.

Quote Originally Posted by Humpty Doo View Post
    Us foreigners like me an Australian , or British, Europeans & New Zealanders who may visit the USA for a Holiday are not used to tipping.

I know Tipping from customers makes up quite a bit of a workers wages in the USA.

So some basic questions about Tipping in the USA.

How much do you normally tip someone.?
    Do you have to Tip ?
    If you have 2 people serving you.. do you tip both ?

Do wait staff in Canada expect Tips as well. ?

10-15%. 20% if shes a hottie.
    Dont need to tip both, they will sort it out.
    As people mentioned, most restaurants in the US are still cheaper that Europe, even with tips added.

Other things:

1) You don't need to pay extra for condiments, you can have as much ketchup / mustard / mayo / maple syrup, etc etc as your heart content. Fuck that European shit where they charge you extra for condiments.

2) Refills. Most places refills for soft drinks are free. If you ask for water, is free and its regular tap water. Not that disgusting sparkling stuff they charge like 5 euros for in Europe.

3) Starbucks refills. Regular coffee refills are free, just give them you old cup (sans lid). Any Starbucks will do, doesn't need to the same place where you initially bought it. Iced tea refills I believe are 50 cents. This is great if you visit places like NYC where they have one Starbucks per block. Walk, drink, pee, refill.
    I asked for a refill in Paris and i was promptly told to fuck off. lol

4) Costco food court. Where else in the world can you get a huge hotdog + drink ( with refills ) for $1.50? No membership required.

Europe was great, but we are so spoiled in terms of food / drink convenience here in the US.
    Last edited by dvaz; 2018-02-13 at 07:50 PM.

I am a typical middle income American with two small children.

If it is just my wife and I (or us as part of a larger group), I tip between 15-20% for typical service, calculated such that my total hits a nice even dollar amount. $20 and change bill becomes a $25 total, resulting in a $4 and change tip for the server. Exceptional service above and beyond the call gets exceptional tips, though I cap out at 30% regardless. Poor service drops your tip by 5% for each mistake - slow service, dismissive/rude, didn't refill my drinks? Good bye tip.

With my kids, I go 20-25% starting, because the work is FAR more difficult. Otherwise everything remains the same. Exception being that if you are rude to my children, you get no tip whatsoever. I do not allow my children to treat waitstaff with disrespect, and I will remove them from a restaurant rather than force a server to deal with it.

One important thing here is to determine which service failings should be punished with poor tips, and which should not. Wrong order? Server's fault. Food over/undercooked? Usually kitchen's fault, sometimes the server writes down "Medium" instead of "Medium Rare" or "Medium Well" Usually the server explains the chef's version of meat temperatures when you order, so (in my experience) it is rarely their fault. Food takes forever to come out, and arrives ice cold? Server's fault. Food takes forever to come out, but arrives piping hot? Kitchen's fault. Loud obnoxious people at the table next to you, server apologizes but the people are still loud? Management's fault. Loud obnoxious people next to you, server doesn't give a shit? Server's fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    2 weeks from now we'll have the "who should pay on the first date"

A month from now "I just went on a date. Does she like me" thread
    "You must marry"
    "OMG Canada"
    "Fatty fatty bum bum's"

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Why does this thread come back every 6-8 months? I think it's a topic intended to troll.
    Because there are posters on this forum from Europe, and US tipping standards are really weird compared to other western countries.

Why do you have a problem with non-US people finding out about US tipping culture before traveling here?

People, regardless of where they are from, should seek to learn more about places they intend to travel before traveling there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

I tip, on average, 20% on my subtotal (pre-tax total). If the service was exceptional, I'll tip extra. I've only not given a tip 2 or 3 times in my life, and that's because the servers were rude.

This also changes depending on the time-of-day/size of my bill/how busy a restaurant is. If I eat/drink somewhere during the morning/afternoon on a weekday (generally a slow period) I'll tip extra. If my bill is under $10, I'll tip extra. A lot of servers will get stuck on slow shifts with little-to-no customers and basically waste their day with nothing to show for it.

Do servers get paid an hourly wage by the restaurant? Yes, but it's generally extremely low. For instance, in Virginia, my wife is currently a waitress while she's in school. She has to pay a toll driving to and from her work. Her monthly wages (pre-tips) don't cover much more than the tolls.

Do I think tipping is a bad custom for restaurants? It's hard to say. When traveling to countries that don't rely on tipping, I've generally found service to be much slower and non-attentive.

Does tipping create a better experience? Anecdotally, yes. If you're a repeat customer at a U.S. establishment and you tip well, they'll usually remember you and continue to give you great service. You may even get perks (extra free food, larger alcoholic beverages or even free drinks etc).

Do I tip in other countries where it isn't customary? Yes, especially if I'm going to visit the establishment multiple times on my stay. It almost always improves the experience and I enjoy seeing a server's eyes light up when they aren't expecting the extra cash.

When do I NOT tip? It can be iffy in a lot of situations. Getting takeout from a restaurant? Random tip jar on a counter? Someone carried your luggage? There's a lot of scenarios where tips are valid, but eating at a sit-down restaurant or drinking at a bar are generally the only situation where tips are fully expected.

Why would you ever tip someone for just doing their job? I can understand tipping if they go beyond what's required of them but when they're just doing their job? Why the hell would you give them money then?

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Generally, only caring about one selves is regarded a negative in human society. Normal people understand that.
    Actually, many normal people do not understand that as evidenced by the various moral contortions used by many people in this thread to justify their petty tyranny over a few dollars for a night out.

The Dunning-Kruger effect only explains some of what is happening with people. A fuller explanation would be that many, many people are Lowest Common Denominator in quality as persons. They are ignorant, fearful, greedy, selfish, and lack a moral compass. Because of those defects of character they believe others are like themselves. They are moving through life with blinders on.

Of course, in a larger social system cooperation may very well be a better strategy. But tiny minds don't see that. What they see is the highly questionable thrill of screwing someone out of some money and keeping it for themselves, even thought they know they shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    What they see is the highly questionable thrill of screwing someone out of some money and keeping it for themselves, even thought they know they shouldn't.
    Lmao, bitch please. The employer is paying their wages already. You're not screwing someone out of money, the employer is if they don't pay them enough.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Europeans: "I will gladly pay the healthcare costs for that drunk hobo pissing in the alley, who hasn't worked in 20 years."

Also Europeans: "Leave a few extra dollars extra to someone with an honest job, who has to cater to an arrogant, entitled tourist? No sir, I don't like it."

...also, inb4 "It's not about being cheap, it's about not enabling the system" because -- based on the apparent disdain for people in the service industry -- it clearly isn't just that.

7+ Year Old Account
    I typically only tip 3 or 5 dollars at sitdowns. 2 dollars for delivery. During holidays I'll tip more.

I will only tip if i receive good service. Waiters and waitresses receive a salary don't they?

I always tip at least $5. If my bill was $20 I tip $5 (25%) or $30 (16.6%). After that I usually tip about 15%. If it's like $100 at a steakhouse and the service was average I tip $13, which is how much I'm making at my job an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by maccajoe View Post
    There are plenty of places in Australia where you would want to tip, restaurants and such on the higher end of the scale but in general tipping is not existent at places that are equivalent to ihop or cafes or burger places.
    The implication of the joke was that the service sucks.

There are a few hipster places that encourage tipping, personally I think that's terrible. Either you have tipping or you don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    I don't ever tip. They have a salary like everyone else.
    It's not like you tip your nurse or your IT-support.

It's ridiculous.
    Working a job that the government/employer deems a 'tipping' job (waitstaff) means an employer can pay you as little as 2 dollars an hour. That's a whopping ~80 dollars for a full work week. Quite a 'salary' they've got there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpty Doo View Post
    Us foreigners like me an Australian , or British, Europeans & New Zealanders who may visit the USA for a Holiday are not used to tipping.

I know Tipping from customers makes up quite a bit of a workers wages in the USA.

So some basic questions about Tipping in the USA.

How much do you normally tip someone.?
    Do you have to Tip ?
    If you have 2 people serving you.. do you tip both ?

Do wait staff in Canada expect Tips as well. ?
    Normal tipping: 20%-30% of bill total if service was excellent.
    10%-20% of bill if service was average.
    No tip for bad service.
    For small bills typically a dollar or two is fine.
    Rounding to the nearest dollar is more than welcome as well. Coins suck to deal with.
    Tipping is a judgement of your server's performance. The amount you tip tells them how good of a job they did, how good the food was, or how much you enjoyed yourself.

Do you have to tip? No. But understanding why you should tip is important.

In the US there is a minimum wage that employees are allowed to be paid. This changes depending on region and there are certain exception. Jobs where tipping is considered the norm is one of those exceptions. Tipping positions can be paid as little as half of minimum wage. With the expectation that tips would make up for the lost wages and more. Depending on the cost of living in any given area this means tips are your life. In places like Southern California if you work a minimum wage job you may have to work over 120 hours a week to afford rent on a studio (single room) apartment.
    This is part of the reason why the service you receive in the US can be so jarring as people act overly friendly. Particularly in comparison to many European countries. That being said it is not for the sole reason for receiving tips. Just as tipping is an expectation great service with overtly friendly staff is the expectation. Your waiters are not going above and beyond because they want your money. They are doing so because that is what is expected of them and being "unwelcoming" is a fire-able offence.
    (For reference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJtrLKGZZFg )

If you have 2 people serving you.. do you tip both ? No.

Typical practice in the US is tip sharing, where waiters split their tips with cook/cleaning staff, this is not official and ranges drastically from place to place and person to person. In events of shift changes having your servers switch on you sometimes they will split the tip but it comes down to them, its not your problem.

Where to tip?
    Typically anywhere that has personal service. Places such as cafes or restaurants where you have an individual waiter.
    Places like McDonalds or even grocery stores it is not normal to tip, and corporate policy likely prevents them from accepting.

Tip Jars?
    Tip jars may show up time to time, this is MUCH less formal than regular tipping and present no obligation on your part. These are typically in small restaurants without personal service. Often times on an an elevated counter or near the register. Typically if you get alot of coins back in change or if you have a spare buck and you liked the food just toss it in. No pressure.

Do wait staff in Canada expect Tips as well?
    No clue. I haven't actually been to Canada, its on my short list for my next vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedOne View Post
    I wasn't sure so stuck to 10%, if there service was average or below I just did 5%. Its such a fucking moronic custom and the fake smiles and niceness was creepy to get those tips.
    Well... you're wrong. And again. People serving you are expecting a tip, they are being nice because they not only are expected to be nice, but likely that they are that nice. Americans wear their hearts on their sleeves. They do not fake niceties except at family reunions. Going back to my above reference.

This man is not after your tips, he is that overwhelmingly nice. Tips let him eat at the end of the day.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md_dg8B8tmk
    Last edited by Seethe; 2018-02-14 at 01:01 AM.
    When I went up the stair, I met a man who wasn't there.
    He wasn't there again today. I wish I wish he'd go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daxxarri
    Whale Shark is the devourer of the slow moving and inattentive. This includes plankton, whales, and AFK players.

Whale Shark swims where and how it pleases. Whale Shark /spits on your science.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    The implication of the joke was that the service sucks.

There are a few hipster places that encourage tipping, personally I think that's terrible. Either you have tipping or you don't.
    I know the implication of the joke and i know whats behind it. Tipping in general does not occur in Australia so foreigners who come here perceive the service as shit because they are literally used to be waited on hand and foot in America. Ive been to the USA and i know they do wait on people hand of foot, asking you how everything is going every two seconds checking up on you every 5 seconds etc. While the mid tier eating service here is more transaction (perceived as shit). You find a nice cafe the people are nice they give you food you enjoy the view you eat you leave.

Also I dont like tipping either and i dont want businesses to encourage it in Australia but if a customer wants to tip more power to them but no thanks to added tip fee crap on the bill like in the US.

This thread went some 100 pages if I remember right last time around.

I wonder how contentious it will get this time
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by bash the fash View Post
    Working a job that the government/employer deems a 'tipping' job (waitstaff) means an employer can pay you as little as 2 dollars an hour. That's a whopping ~80 dollars for a full work week. Quite a 'salary' they've got there.
    Yeah and if you want to changethat you stop tipping.
    In any case, tips are counted as any other income and is taxed the same where I'm from.

Make sure your employer pays you enough or find somewhere else to work. I'm not paying you any extra.