Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    I could see something like a government partnership with Amazon Pantry
    I get what you're going for, but bad example, Trump hates Amazon.

But just out of curiosity, I'm going to Amazon Pantry right now to order some canned peas.

One option, $1.88 for one can. If you have Prime.

So, yeah, that'd have to come WAY down to be competitive. My local grocery store has organic peas at $1.59 and that's not even on sale. The ones on sale are 10 for $10 this week only!

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Oh for shit's sake. It's not free. USPS is funded by.....................what again?

You're shifting money to another budget line and declaring that it's free. I literally cannot even.
    the usps is fully funded by itself.
    they receive NO funding from the govt.

the only thing they have access to is a line of credit they are forced to borrow from the treasury instead of banks, even though they could get the same rates from banks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    It's not a joke, nor is it funny, he has a serious addiction and the government helps fund it. I think junkfood should be forbidden to be purchased with food stamps.
    So because this one person has a problem the other 40 million have to suffer

great.

They enable him to be obese, that is fact. The fault lies with him as well, never said it didn't so please stop putting words in my mouth and focus on the facts and not how you feel.
    No, no no no no nonono. You don't get to blame the government for trying to help him he is the one doing stupid bullshit then only give him partial blame. He is at full fault for whatever he buys with that money, no one else. It is in no way the governments fault that your friend decides to buy only candy and junk food, that's all on him.

Look, I blame a lot of things and people for how I am. My fear of women and failure? My mother. My fear of not trying with what I enjoy else I am deemed a failure? A past art teacher. I blame those people for that, but I know I am at fault for letting it do that to me. It's all my god damned fault for doing stupid bullshit, just like it's your friend's fault for doing stupid bullshit and him letting that happen to himself.

This isn't about what I feel, these are facts. No one else is to blame for any decision you, me, or your friend make but ourselves. Stop trying to create a scapegoat for your friend and realize that it's all on him for why he is like that.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post

So because this one person has a problem the other 40 million have to suffer

great.
    Yup, only one person on SNAP is obese and buys junkfood.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    No, no no no no nonono. You don't get to blame the government for trying to help him he is the one doing stupid bullshit then only give him partial blame. He is at full fault for whatever he buys with that money, no one else. It is in no way the governments fault that your friend decides to buy only candy and junk food, that's all on him.

Look, I blame a lot of things and people for how I am. My fear of women and failure? My mother. My fear of not trying with what I enjoy else I am deemed a failure? A past art teacher. I blame those people for that, but I know I am at fault for letting it do that to me. It's all my god damned fault for doing stupid bullshit, just like it's your friend's fault for doing stupid bullshit and him letting that happen to himself.

This isn't about what I feel, these are facts. No one else is to blame for any decision you, me, or your friend make but ourselves. Stop trying to create a scapegoat for your friend and realize that it's all on him for why he is like that.
    I think you confuse the words blame and enable.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Since its the government shipping them, they can be sent for free through USPS. Just like any other federal mail. Also while yes there is a lot of sodium in canned meat, there is none in canned vegetables, nor boxed pasta (unless youre looking at complete meals like boxed mac and cheese), bags of dried beans, canned fruit, and many other shelf stable things
    The USPS isn't paid for by tax dollars and packages of heavy (unhealthy) canned food like you're proposing isn't the same as a letter.

That's because people don't want to buy nasty deformed fruit and vegetables and it would just sit on the shelf till it rots anyway. I suppose your store could have used it to make things to sell at the deli like salads or dips instead of throwing it away though
    The point I was trying to make is that instead of throwing it away it could be donated to a food bank or something like that. Someone struggling with hunger isnt going to care if the apple they are eating is slightly bruised or has an odd shape.

So, instead of some people using SNAP to buy junk food we should make sure all SNAP recipients receive junk food? This makes no sense, but then you are a Trump supporter so there's that.

No, your friend is 100% to blame for his current predicament. It doesn't matter what others do if you have no will power, that's all on him, just like it's all on me when I don't accept the help of others with my own issues, and you yours. If he does not have the mental fortitude to not eat junk food every day then nothing anyone does will do anything. If you hate what's happening to him don't blame the government, don't blame them for "enabling" him, because the only thing they are doing is trying to help. He's actually the one abusing the system, and if you hate it then either try and help or just let him continue down the path of self destruction. It's all up to him and no one else to fix his issues. He has to take the next step, not the government in the hopes of helping your one friend, like I need to with my issues, and you do with yours (whatever they may be).

Just because your one friend abuses it doesn't mean every other person does.

Like I said, I can agree with cutting off certain things, to a point, like a majority of junk food, but that's not going to solve your friend eating himself to death.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

They are already on the road and being paid. It doesn't cost anything to throw some more boxes in the truck
    Paying the people to put together the boxes, the extra fuel to move those boxes, the wear and tear on the vehicles, the space they take up in the truck, paying the people to load the boxes, paying the drivers for the extra stops. All your doing is shifting the cost around and probably adding some.

This just reeks of contempt for the poor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SethRoguen View Post
    Paying the people to put together the boxes, the extra fuel to move those boxes, the wear and tear on the vehicles, the space they take up in the truck, paying the people to load the boxes, paying the drivers for the extra stops. All your doing is shifting the cost around and probably adding some.
    "It doesn't cost anything to throw some more boxes in the truck" is basically the same argument as telling your Uber driver "You were driving around anyway, you might as well give me a lift for free".

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    So, instead of some people using SNAP to buy junk food we should make sure all SNAP recipients receive junk food? This makes no sense, but then you are a Trump supporter so there's that.
    You make no sense and you are acting bitter and superior.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    No, your friend is 100% to blame for his current predicament. It doesn't matter what others do if you have no will power, that's all on him, just like it's all on me when I don't accept the help of others with my own issues, and you yours. If he does not have the mental fortitude to not eat junk food every day then nothing anyone does will do anything. If you hate what's happening to him don't blame the government, don't blame them for "enabling" him, because the only thing they are doing is trying to help. He's actually the one abusing the system, and if you hate it then either try and help or just let him continue down the path of self destruction. It's all up to him and no one else to fix his issues. He has to take the next step, not the government in the hopes of helping your one friend, like I need to with my issues, and you do with yours (whatever they may be).

Just because your one friend abuses it doesn't mean every other person does.

Like I said, I can agree with cutting off certain things, to a point, like a majority of junk food, but that's not going to solve your friend eating himself to death.
    Again you are confusing blame with enabling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Agreed. Poor people should not be nutritionally short changed. In fact, quite the opposite.

While I will agree with SNAP not being able to be used to buy chips, sodas, candy, etc. it shouldn't be replaced with other empty calories/carbs like pasta and breads. Kids need GOOD nutrition - it not only grows their bodies but their minds as well.

Also, there is so much food in the USA, no person - not a single one - should ever have to go to bed hungry.
    I find it really hard to believe I actually agree with Ransath here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

You make no sense and you are acting bitter and superior.
    No, I actually read what was going to be in the packages of food and it's shit. Supporting this plan because some people buy shit is nonsensical.

"Some people buy shit so we should give everyone shit." Just what?

No, I actually read what was going to be in the packages of food and it's shit. Supporting this plan because some people buy shit is nonsensical.

"Some people buy shit so we should give everyone shit." Just what?

The package was described in the budget as consisting of "shelf-stable milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit and vegetables."

I agree cereal and pasta is junk food but it pale in comparison to chips and soda. I think their end goal though is to cut out he middle man, the supermarkets markup. because if it was just about nutrition you could tighten the rules on what they can and cannot buy.

The package was described in the budget as consisting of "shelf-stable milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit and vegetables."

I agree cereal and pasta is junk food but it pale in comparison to chips and soda. I think their end goal though is to cut out he middle man, the supermarkets markup. because if it was just about nutrition you could tighten the rules on what they can and cannot buy.
    Cereal is terrible, it may as well be eating candy or cookies. Pasta and peanut butter are not good. Canned fruits and vegetables are not good. The lack of fresh fruits and vegetables is not good. The lack of meat is also really bad.

The only thing decent about it is milk and beans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cereal is terrible, it may as well be eating candy or cookies. Pasta and peanut butter are not good. Canned fruits and vegetables are not good. The lack of fresh fruits and vegetables is not good. The lack of meat is also really bad.
    Yeah, when the only defense is "it's better than chips and candy bars" the bar is so low a snail could trip over it.

Can't say I like the defense of "cutting out the middleman" when it involves tens of millions of door-to-door deliveries a week.

Supermarket markup is single digit percentages on almost everything, save fresh meat and seafood butchered and prepped in house.

Supermarkets make their money through volume sales, not high margins.

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing decent about it is milk and beans.
    Cereal isn't always terrible - Frosted anything, yeah, okay, but Cheerios? Wheaties? Sure a lot of it is empty calories, but there are also a lot of high-fiber cereals out there that are really good for you, particularly when you have them with 8oz milk for some protein as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    Cereal isn't always terrible - Frosted anything, yeah, okay, but Cheerios? Wheaties? Sure a lot of it is empty calories, but there are also a lot of high-fiber cereals out there that are really good for you, particularly when you have them with 8oz milk for some protein as well.
    Cheerios and wheaties still have a ton of sugar in them. 9 grams per serving, compared to frosted flakes 11 grams per serving.

- - - Updated - - -

And only 1 person has made some relations to his obesity to food stamps.

Based on his needed calorie consumption to gain 400 his daily food stamp allowance of 6 dollars is most likely less then 10-15% of his intake even if he was to buy the worst item he could find for 6 bucks minus what he would normally take in if he used that money for something much healthier.

is there a study or citation that supports that this is a huge issue that needs to be addressed and have such huge changes? I mean we already know fraud is such a small portion even though many say its yuge.

- - - Updated - - -

Those ripping 1-2% profit margins that will easily be consumed by the delivery cost.

simple economics would tell you that this plan will be vastly more expensive while providing less food.

Also what happens when someone does not get a delivery, the post office while having incredibly low error rates and missed deliveries, could result in hundreds of thousands of people missing meals where as with food stamps this is hardly ever the case since you have so many more options to buy food.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    And only 1 person has made some relations to his obesity to food stamps.

Based on his needed calorie consumption to gain 400 his daily food stamp allowance of 6 dollars is most likely less then 10-15% of his intake even if he was to buy the worst item he could find for 6 bucks minus what he would normally take in if he used that money for something much healthier.

is there a study or citation that supports that this is a huge issue that needs to be addressed and have such huge changes? I mean we already know fraud is such a small portion even though many say its yuge.
    There's pretty much nothing to back up anything conservatives claim about food stamps. It's 100% fear mongering and mythology based on worst-case scenarios so they can further subjugate a class of people that's already been subjugated by circumstance, based on fringe examples. Of course you can find a morbidly obese guy on food stamps; of course you can find a guy driving a Lamborghini on welfare. But an example does not describe the norm. But apparently the near-nonexistent example scenario is what we have to design the fuckery of the very-existent everyone around.

I also find most people are blissfully unaware that food stamps are literally only for food. Not even toiletries or other essential items. They literally cannot be used to purchase anything that does not have a nutritional label on them. And it is frankly no one's business to play mommy and tell anyone how to eat.