Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    I am at chapter 6 now in Roer city. For those who played ToCSII already without spoiling anything please can you tell me what are the things carries on when I load the save from ToCSI into the second game?
    You mean the import bonuses?

ToCS1 -> CS2 clear save bonus

Rank A1: Silver Medal accessory (HP+500, EP+50)
    Rank A0: Golden Medal accessory (HP+1000, EP+100, STR, DEF, ATS and ADF+10)

Rean is level 69 or lower: 100 of each sepith except mass, Attack 1, Zeram Powder
    Rean is between 70 and 79: 300 of each sepith except mass, Attack 1, Soul Blur, Zeram Powder
    Rean's is at least level 80: 500 of each sepith except mass, Attack 1, Soul Blur, Saintly Force, Zeram Powder x2

You unlock an additional scene with each party member in the sequel if you had max friendship/link level (level 5) with them by the time of the concert.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    You mean the import bonuses?

ToCS1 -> CS2 clear save bonus

Rank A1: Silver Medal accessory (HP+500, EP+50)
    Rank A0: Golden Medal accessory (HP+1000, EP+100, STR, DEF, ATS and ADF+10)

Rean is level 69 or lower: 100 of each sepith except mass, Attack 1, Zeram Powder
    Rean is between 70 and 79: 300 of each sepith except mass, Attack 1, Soul Blur, Zeram Powder
    Rean's is at least level 80: 500 of each sepith except mass, Attack 1, Soul Blur, Saintly Force, Zeram Powder x2

You unlock an additional scene with each party member in the sequel if you had max friendship/link level (level 5) with them by the time of the concert.
    I see ! thanks for the info man but damn I will miss the rare sepith Domination the one that makes you first hit deals double dmg I was able to one shot Sara with Laura's S craft in a single hit over 48k+ dmg haha.

I see ! thanks for the info man but damn I will miss the rare sepith Domination the one that makes you first hit deals double dmg I was able to one shot Sara with Laura's S craft in a single hit over 48k+ dmg haha.
    I only really used Domination on my NG+ runs, so that I could quickly clear battles (since I could carry over all of my previous equipment) and get to the content I missed. Otherwise, I'd rather use that quartz slot to increase a character's performance over the course of 10-20+ turn battle than a slot that's only going to be effective for the first turn.

- - - Updated - - -

My thoughts on how ToCS1 handles it's orbment system.

Spoiler: 
    In general, Trails of Cold Steel gives you more leeway with which to build your characters. In Trails in the Sky, your characters had set stats which dictated how you would ultimately build that character. Zin would always be built as a heavy tank, with HP, DEF and ATK quartz, the only variation being how much you balanced between attack and defense. Kloe would always be the team healer. Olivier had a gun, but it was always optimial to build him as a nuker, increasing his magic attack and reducing cast times. Outside of a handful of exceptions like Estelle, you'd build every character the same way on every playthrough.

Trails of Cold Steel has fixed this, where the bulk of a party member's stats have been transferred to the Master Quartz they wield, and since MQs are interchangeable, you can now redistribute the stat balance of your characters and therefore, fundamentally change the playstyle of that character. The MQ's have their own effects helps too. For example, I could have Fie and build her several different ways. Did I want her to be a straight up speedy attacker? Sure, slot in Raven, stack attack quartz and speeds quartz and volia. Did I want her to be spellblade? Load up Pandora or Ciminal and stack golden quartz. Want her to be a tank? You can make her a straight up dodge tank with Falco, Evergreens and evasion quartz, or give her some sustainability with Thor's and life-stealing quartz. Do I want her to spread status conditions everywhere? Stack DoT (damage over time) and crowd control effects and spam Speed Cyclone. Never before in a Trails game, have you had so many options with which to build your characters.

Here are some of the builds I had success with

Rean
    + High damage per battle
    + Evasion tank, ideal for counter build
    + Fast
    + Status inflicter (thanks to his AoE crafts)
    + Dealyer (Arc slash particularly)
    - Low arts potential

MQs: Chevalier (draw aggro) or Vermillion (double damage).

Items: Gladiator headband, Medal of Dawn, Evergreen

With the Chevalier, 50% evade, insight, and the Gladiator Headband, Rean was attracting the attention of everybody, countering their attacks, and building up CP for an ultimate incredibly fast.

Vermilion, evasion tank Rean is the best damage dealer in the game. With 1500 attack at end game, he will annihilate everything, including anyone who dares try to attack him. His ultimate hits the final boss for 33k damage.

Gaius
    + Evasion tank, ideal for counter build. Having a spear helps too.
    - Low arts potential
    - Otherwise average stats

MQs: Falco, Thor, or Chevalier

For Chevalier, run the same build as Chev Rean.

Thor and Falco are self explanatory. Falco gives you 5 turns of insight (50% evasion, ontop of his 50% evasion for guarenteed evades and counters) from the get go, while Thor requires you to spend a turn to cast insight. Thor gives you more health and lifesteal though.

Laura
    + Highest raw damage per turn
    + Tank (highest health of all characters)
    - Slow
    - Terrible arts potential

MQs: Brave, Tauros, Thor, or Chevalier

Items: Medal of Friendships, Salmon Badge

Laura is self explanatory; dump Force, Tauros, or Vermilion on her and raise the attack stat for super damage (note that in the first game, Tauros does NOT double the damage of crafts). If you are using Tauros, be sure to use the time acceleration art and raise her speed stat.

Chevalier and Thor are two different methods of tanking; Chevalier draws aggro and makes her the ideal tank (rocking 15k health and 1200 defense at endgame), while Thor gives her a boost to damage and lifesteal to recover health.

Alisa
    + Ranged
    + Support (provides team with CP)
    + Heal support
    + Great ATS
    - Terrible physical damage
    - Squishy

MQs: Moebius, Criminal, Canon

Items: Gladiator belt

Alisa is best used as a support character. I put Moebius on her and emphasized her speed and range. My modus operandi was to have her cast CP regen on the team, buff/debuff with Chrono Drive/Chrono Break, and chuck food onto everyone. Alternatively, you can take advantage of her ATS and make her some sort of caster, either dealing damage or healing the team.

Jusis
    + Top tier STR and ATS
    + High magical potential (can become a caster)
    + Fast

MQs: Orochi for physical damage, or whatever casting MQ you want

Items: Medal of Dawn

Jusis can be built along a range, from a straight up attacker, to a balanced spellsword, to a fullblown caster. My straight up attacker Jusis was rocking 1400 attack, and with Criminal he can become the most powerful mage on the team. He's basically Olivier if his physical damage was actually practical.

Machias
    + Strong AoE damage (ideal for spreading status conditions)
    + Highest HP and DEF (second to Laura)

MQs: Brave (buff your AoE damage), Megalith, Chevalier (become a fullblown tank), Thor (Recoup tons of health from your AoE damage), Force, Tauros, or Moebius.

Items: Gladiator Headband, Medal of Dawn

Machais is blessed with tankiness and the ability to slaughter groups of enemies with his shotgun, giving him tons of range. You can stick Moebius and buff/debuff arts on him and allow him to run support; you can make him a tank, or you can make him into your group slaughtering machine.

Fie
    + Great STR
    + Evasion tank, ideal for counter build
    + Fast
    + Magical affinity
    - Squishy

MQs: Thor or Falco

Items: Gladiator headband, evergreen, passionate rouge

As I previously said, Fie's got so much range. She can evasion tank, spread status conditions with her high speed and AoE, delay the enemy team, become a versatile spellblade, etc.

Elliot and Emma
    *The only characters who got shafted*
    + High ATS
    - squishy
    - staff weapon
    - Terrible STR

While the MQ system worked wonders for Falcom's attempt to give each character a wide range of options, it can't make up for the ingrained fact that Elliot and Emma wield the worst weapon in the game. With staves being based on STR, and Elliot and Emma having terrible STR (not to mention being too squishy to survive a melee), they are ultimately relegated to caster roles, either as a healer, an arts support, or a straight up nuker.

Here are the builds I used
    Spoiler: 
    These are my endgame builds

Rean
    - Vermillion
    - Shining
    - Evade 2
    - Skanda Gem
    - Wrath
    - Mars Gem
    - Zeus Gem
    - Rakshasha
    - Aeolus Gem

With Vermillion: 2x Medal of Dawn. Use Alisa or Zeram Powders to recover CP
    With Chevalier: 2x Gladiator Headband

Alisa
    - Moebius
    - Fire Bell
    - Diabolos Gem
    - Shining
    - Cast 2
    - Impassion
    - Action 3
    - Chrono Drive
    - Chrono Break

2x Gladiator Belt (passive CP regen between turns, allows you to cast team CP regen)

Fie
    - Thor
    - Zeus Gem
    - Aeolus Gem
    - Attack 3
    - Shining
    - Wrath
    - Action 3
    - Skanda Gem
    - Rakshasha

Gladiator Headband
    Passionate Rouge

Gaius
    - Falco
    - Wrath
    - Zeus
    - Evade 2
    - Action 3
    - HP 2
    - Attack 3
    - Earth Pulse
    - Evade 1

2x Evergreen

Machias
    - Megalith
    - Saintly Force
    - HP 2
    - Defense 3
    - Tera
    - Flood
    - Impassion
    - Acala Gem
    - Impentrable Shield

Medal of Friendship
    Salmon Badge

Jusis
    - Orochi
    - Qilin
    - Attack 3
    - Aeolus Gem
    - Mars Gem
    - Deus Gem
    - Action 3
    - Rakshasha
    - Skanda Gem

2x Medal of Heroism

Emma
    - Criminal
    - Cast 2
    - Mind 3
    - Brahma Gem
    - Deus Gem
    - Fire Bell
    - EP cut 2
    - Chavkravarti Gem
    - Diabolos Gem

2x Medal of Dawn

Laura
    - Chevalier
    - Mars Gem
    - Defense 3
    - HP 2
    - Acala Gem
    - Cross Crusade
    - Attack 3
    - Sennin Gem
    - Harvest

2x Medal of Friendship (If you don't have these, use salmon badges)

IDK about Elliot, never used him after I got the other characters. Emma was always my go-to staff user.

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't sure what to do with (CS1 chapter 5 spoilers) Millium and Crow. Millium has the ideal defense stats for a tank, but has half of the potential HP Laura had (my tank Milly had 8k HP, while Laura had 15k). This makes her risky as a tank. She has titanic strength though, and sweetens the deal with an AoE standard attack, so ideally she'd be great for as a raw attacker who cleared out groups. Crow is in an awkward place thanks to his water/heal typing quartz slots.

- - - Updated - - -

Only four more days until Trails of Cold Steel 2 launches!
    (Don't search for it until you've beaten ToCS1!)

Huri is my favorite Kiseki artist. If Falcom ever decides to make a Kiseki games featuring chibi sprites like TitS and the Crossbell games, I'd absolutely love if Huri drew the field sprites. I'd buy that in a heart beat!

10+ Year Old Account

Only four more days until Trails of Cold Steel 2 launches!
    (Don't search for it until you've beaten ToCS1!)

Huri is my favorite Kiseki artist. If Falcom ever decides to make a Kiseki games featuring chibi sprites like TitS and the Crossbell games, I'd absolutely love if Huri drew the field sprites. I'd buy that in a heart beat!

Yay can't wait. I really really like the nods and some dialogs in ToCSI talking about Cassius Bright and the crisis of Liberl and finally Olivier building his own fast airship with similar model as the Arseille but the color is red and slightly slower but more tanky and bigger size. I also liked the quest that require me to fight Angelica and she is using the Taito Style and said that an eastern lady trained her so I think she is referring to Kilika from the Sky series.

Those who played Sky series first like me truly appreciated those attention to details tid bits haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Snip

Ok I just finished chapter 6 after I defeated the boss C. He was the first tough boss for me but thank god I defeated him the first try thanks to my SS craft chains and he was vulnerable to sleep.

The scene after I defeated him damn...I think he is still alive but I hated these kind of cliffhanger I wanted to know who he really is ! (I still do think he is Rufus but yeah we will see).

Ok I just finished chapter 6 after I defeated the boss C. He was the first tough boss for me but thank god I defeated him the first try thanks to my SS craft chains and he was vulnerable to sleep.

The scene after I defeated him damn...I think he is still alive but I hated these kind of cliffhanger I wanted to know who he really is ! (I still do think he is Rufus but yeah we will see).
    Like Trails in the Sky, ToCS was meant to be one game. Due to budgetary reasons (a mid-sized studio like Falcom cannot afford to spend more than a couple years working on a game before releasing it), it had to be split up into two games. The Ymir vacation after chapter 6 is an example of content that had to be cut in the end, so it was summarized in the CGs. Fortunately, it was adapted as an audio drama, which XSEED has generously translated. Be sure to read AFTER you finish ToCS1, but BEFORE you begin ToCS2, as the events of the Ymir vacation will be referenced throughout CS2 and are important. Don't read any other info on the site until you have beaten CS1, and don't read the second story until you've beaten CS2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like Trails in the Sky, ToCS was meant to be one game. Due to budgetary reasons (a mid-sized studio like Falcom cannot afford to spend more than a couple years working on a game before releasing it), it had to be split up into two games. The Ymir vacation after chapter 6 is an example of content that had to be cut in the end, so it was summarized in the CGs. Fortunately, it was adapted as an audio drama, which XSEED has generously translated. Be sure to read AFTER you finish ToCS1, but BEFORE you begin ToCS2, as the events of the Ymir vacation will be referenced throughout CS2 and are important. Don't read any other info on the site until you have beaten CS1, and don't read the second story until you've beaten CS2.
    Thanks a lot for the info. Is the audio drama available in youtube?

Thanks a lot for the info. Is the audio drama available in youtube?
    There is no official localization of the audio drama, but Echo Six has narrated it in English. Note that you will need to be watching the video to see how is talking, so I wouldn't recommend that you listen to it via audio only.

Speaking about the drama cd and the Schwarzer family - I'm really curious as to whether or not the second game will give more information about the past relationship between the Schwarzers and the imperial family. Their past relationship does more or less get brushed off as a thing of the past on several occasions, but then we have Elise, the daughter of a minor noble house out in the boonies, being best friends with the princess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I really hope that falcom will step up their game and finally focus on making CS characters more interesting, and fleshing them out. Because so first game did a pretty poor job of it, especially given that it was supposed to be introducing us to them. I just finished tales of berseria and boy did it set up my expectations high.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I really hope that falcom will step up their game and finally focus on making CS characters more interesting, and fleshing them out. Because so first game did a pretty poor job of it, especially given that it was supposed to be introducing us to them. I just finished tales of berseria and boy did it set up my expectations high.
    Say what? You mean that you didn't find yourself invested in Jusis and Machias in the first two hours?

10+ Year Old Account
    Say what? You mean that you didn't find yourself invested in Jusis and Machias in the first two hours?
    Nope, in fact i found them to be pretty much the most boring characters in entire game. They have boring cliched personalities, and both use "Muh mom is ded" as their entire motivation and character development. Which is sad, given that everyones parents (save for gaius) are dead.

This is what makes characters interesting and worth being invested into:

Now that is a magical girl. Not that poor "Im just generic white magician girl" crap emma pulls off.
    Last edited by Arrashi; 2018-02-13 at 07:58 PM.

Nope, in fact i found them to be pretty much the most boring characters in entire game. They have boring cliched personalities, and both use "Muh mom is ded" as their entire motivation and character development. Which is sad, given that everyones parents (save for gaius) are dead.

This is what makes characters interesting and worth being invested into:

Now that is a magical girl. Not that poor "Im just generic white magician girl" crap emma pulls off.
    I'll wait until all of the characters get their time in the spotlight before judging how well they turned out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll wait until all of the characters get their time in the spotlight before judging how well they turned out.
    Yeah, i hope that 2nd part will make better use of those 100 hours than 1st did.

Yeah, i hope that 2nd part will make better use of those 100 hours than 1st did.
    Jusis and Machias were probably my least favorite cast members during the first game, imo they were by far the most generic ones. The second one should add a lot of character development to most characters though, at least the ending shows we'll get to know a lot more about Fie's and Emma's pasts during the second game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    Jusis and Machias were probably my least favorite cast members during the first game, imo they were by far the most generic ones. The second one should add a lot of character development to most characters though, at least the ending shows we'll get to know a lot more about Fie's and Emma's pasts during the second game.
    I dunno, machias felt to me as typical "I know better than others" douchebag (aka type 1 dbag) while jusis felt like typical "Noone understands me" douchebag (aka type 2 dbag). Not to mention that since game throws all of characters at you at once, noone of them really have time to shine.

Just take example of jusis, his engagement in story ends in chapter 2 where he has his "great" reveal about dead mom and after that...he doesn't really do anything. If you ignore his events, its almost as he doesn't exists.

CS1 has been by far the most enjoyable Kiseki game I've played. The Sky games had for the most solid characters, a few great characters like Agate and Tita, and a handful of fantastic characters like Richard. The world and plot felt underdeveloped (compared to CS), and the combat system leaves a lot to be desired. I wouldn't replay TitS. Estelle is a fun protagonist, but besides having learned more about the world, she had virtually no character development whatsoever and offers little to think about.

I've played through CS1 four times so far, having totaled 160 hours on that game (more time spent playing CS1 then the entire TitS trilogy). My respect for CS1 only increased with each playthrough. The sheer amount of character development and worldbuilding in the first two hours is insane (just look at Jusis' and Machias' interactions). Erebonia felt like a massive, realized nation encompassing many different cultures, demographics and attitudes, a place that you could actually visit, a vast a improvement over Liberl. The antagonists have actual tangible motivations this time and a clear path to their goals, as opposed to... whatever Luciola, Loewe, and Weissman were trying to accomplish, much less how they were going to do so. Keep in mind, this is all in the first half of Falcom's intended game. If that was all in the first act of the adventure, I can't wait to find out what they did in the second and third acts (being CS2). That said, I could say the same thing for FC, which hyped up SC to the moon and back, only for SC to not really live up to expectations.

10+ Year Old Account
    CS1 has been by far the most enjoyable Kiseki game I've played. The Sky games had for the most solid characters, a few great characters like Agate and Tita, and a handful of fantastic characters like Richard. The world and plot felt underdeveloped (compared to CS), and the combat system leaves a lot to be desired. I wouldn't replay TitS. Estelle is a fun protagonist, but besides having learned more about the world, she had virtually no character development whatsoever and offers little to think about.

I've played through CS1 four times so far, having totaled 160 hours on that game (more time spent playing CS1 then the entire TitS trilogy). My respect for CS1 only increased with each playthrough. The sheer amount of character development and worldbuilding in the first two hours is insane (just look at Jusis' and Machias' interactions). Erebonia felt like a massive, realized nation encompassing many different cultures, demographics and attitudes, a place that you could actually visit, a vast a improvement over Liberl. The antagonists have actual tangible motivations this time and a clear path to their goals, as opposed to... whatever Luciola, Loewe, and Weissman were trying to accomplish, much less how they were going to do so. Keep in mind, this is all in the first half of Falcom's intended game. If that was all in the first act of the adventure, I can't wait to find out what they did in the second and third acts (being CS2). That said, I could say the same thing for FC, which hyped up SC to the moon and back, only for SC to not really live up to expectations.
    Are you actually serious ? Because i can't tell.
    The diffrence is that estelle is actually interesting, smart written, and has reasonable, easy to understand motive. On the other hand we have rean who is:
    Black haired, teenage boy wielding katana (holy trifecta of anime protagonists) with hidden demonic power (totally not cliche) foster family (cliche) because its not like they are setting one or both of his real parents to be ouroboros members or anything, with most lukewarm lack of any real personality other than "born leader" and "good with people" (That how harem anime protagonists govern their harems).

Now as for "antagonists" what you mean 3 terrorists who have their entire story summed in 3 lines of vulcan dialogue as "Government wronged us". Yeah, fascinating throwaway villains..i mean characters.

Also if you respond with "Whatever luciola, loewe and weissman tried to accomplish" then perphaps you should replays TITS and actually read dialogue for once. Than again, this game actually requires you to read betwen lines.

Also, just out of curiosity, which character do you consider to have this "sheer amount of character development" ? Don't tell me its Sharon "Btw im former ouroboros agent teehee" Kruger.

10+ Year Old Account

I have to disagree with you here about Estelle not having a character developments. There is major big difference between the Estelle of FC and SC it's almost a different character.

In the FC Estelle mostly seen just depending on Joshua on almost everything and how she was devastated when he left her at the end of FC. And we see this part clearly at the beginning of SC where she is totally lost it and Kevin was able to calm her down. However, over time in SC she started to mature and becoming more and more independent and noy just relaying on Joshua anymore.

About the villains in Sky they clearly do have tangible motivation specially Richard in FC. He is like a more aggressive version of Giliath Osborne and just wants what is best for his country Liberl.

snip
    I'd have to agree with Arrashi on this one, Jusis and Machias haven't had a lot of character development of their own, heck, I'd say even a few of the student npc's felt more 'real' to me than they did. I do have to agree with you on the world building part though. Now that we are finally able to play through Erebonia, a lot of sub plots from the sky and kiseki series are slowly starting to come together, as well as Erebonian 'history' taking a larger role than any of the past games.

But I don't really mind that sc1 didn't have a lot of character development yet, as it pretty much is a prologue to the cold steel series as a whole. With the world drastically changing in the second game, it's only normal that we'll see different sides of people and slowly start to learn the motives of some of the characters.