The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    In Dark Souls positioning very rarely even matters. In Dark Souls you can basically get away with just R1 spamming your way through the game, but in Monster Hunter you have to really learn the ins and outs of your weapons.

I also want to note that Dark Souls is my favorite game of all time and I am in no way saying it is a worse game.
    Thats a little unfair. You try R1 spamming vs Darkeater Midir on NG 7+ and you're gonna have a bad time.

I agree DS is more reactive but you literally need to start moving when you see the body movement starting, and we're talking a matter of milliseconds reaction time really or its too late and you get one shot. So you need to have a good understanding of the move set of the boss as well as godly reaction times and you need to dance and bait out attacks to get an opportunity to attack yourself.

nergigante you can literally dance around his face and juke his frontal attacks to keep him in place and hammer away at the head.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    Thats a little unfair. You try R1 spamming vs Darkeater Midir on NG 7+ and you're gonna have a bad time.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess when they mentioned going through Dark Souls they weren't talking about the increasingly punishing NG+ levels.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    The issue as the previous poster said to me that I thought the focus aim target works like the souls series I misunderstood it.
    Honestly I think the default lock on sucks, especially for the way combat is designed here.

Switching to option 2 or 3 is better. Option 2 lets you do a quick centering of the camera behind you with one L1 press and a quick center on the target with a double L1 press. My preferred is option 3, which is just one L1 press to get the camera centered on the target real quick and otherwise manually control the camera (with camera speed at least at fast).

I agree DS is more reactive but you literally need to start moving when you see the body movement starting, and we're talking a matter of milliseconds reaction time really or its too late and you get one shot. So you need to have a good understanding of the move set of the boss as well as godly reaction times and you need to dance and bait out attacks to get an opportunity to attack yourself.

nergigante you can literally dance around his face and juke his frontal attacks to keep him in place and hammer away at the head.
    I mean ds3 was my first ds game and i went through the entire game pressing 3 buttons, dodge roll, hp pot, and light attack. My tactics were exactly the same for every boss, roll and butt poke. I 1 or 2shot most of the bosses in the game. Scaling the damage on NG+ would just make it less forgiving but wouldnt really change the tactics at all.

And i mean, comparing ng+ to high rank shows a lack of knowledge since mhw doesnt have grank modified monsters yet. Go fight an apex in 4u.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    Honestly I think the default lock on sucks, especially for the way combat is designed here.

Switching to option 2 or 3 is better. Option 2 lets you do a quick centering of the camera behind you with one L1 press and a quick center on the target with a double L1 press. My preferred is option 3, which is just one L1 press to get the camera centered on the target real quick and otherwise manually control the camera (with camera speed at least at fast).
    Yeah thats pmuch what i did in old games. The lockon isnt so bad when you center it on the body of most monsters but centering in their heads is awful.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

that moment when your fighting a tough dragon and then 2 others appear and it just becomes chaos of explosions and flailing limbs is probs my fav thing in this game, and I love the animation where the fish boss wraps itself around baroth etc

15+ Year Old Account
    Did the double tempered bazelguese quest last night and was surprised how easy it was heck they spent more time fighting each other then they did fighting me. After the quest jumped straight to the next lock at HR 49

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

10+ Year Old Account

I mean that in the sense that you can get through the entire game on any NG level just using your R1 attack. The movesets of the weapon types isn't nearly as deep in Dark Souls when compared to Monster Hunter. I don't mean you can literally just spam r1 constantly and they die, you'll get punished hard if you do that on any difficulty level. But in Monster Hunter to be truly effective you have to explore the entirety of your moveset. In Dark Souls that generally isn't necessary.

I say this from experience as I generally only use my R1 attacks when I play Dark Souls. I feel like you also think that I'm attacking Dark Souls. I'm not. Depth doesn't always mean better. Dark Souls does somethings better than Monster Hunter, does some things worse, and both games do a lot of things differently.

I mean that in the sense that you can get through the entire game on any NG level just using your R1 attack. The movesets of the weapon types isn't nearly as deep in Dark Souls when compared to Monster Hunter. I don't mean you can literally just spam r1 constantly and they die, you'll get punished hard if you do that on any difficulty level. But in Monster Hunter to be truly effective you have to explore the entirety of your moveset. In Dark Souls that generally isn't necessary.

I say this from experience as I generally only use my R1 attacks when I play Dark Souls. I feel like you also think that I'm attacking Dark Souls. I'm not. Depth doesn't always mean better. Dark Souls does somethings better than Monster Hunter, does some things worse, and both games do a lot of things differently.
    I think Bloodborne is always the better monhun analogue. Its way faster but trick weapons can feel more like using a switch axe or charge blade than anything in a souls game. I love them but yeah a souls game is "hit the boss pretty much anywhere for the same damage and like 3 bosses total let you do a plunge attack for massive damage but you never need to go beyond R1 on repeat when on the offensive" while like in Monhun bloodborn has a lot more "Okay if i hit the cleric beasts hand i can break it and then convert my weapon to long reach to hit the head and then go in for a visceral attack.
    You need to line shit up more while in DS1 in particular the only time that shows up is backstab fishing humanoid enemies.

7+ Year Old Account

I dont think you are attacking dark souls. Both games are good games for different reasons.

I was just pointing out R1 spam is a gross simplification of dark souls even if straight swords etc are among the stronger weps in the game. I find more success in weapons that can stagger

God rathalos is annoying, and trying to kill azure and reg rathalos at the same time is freaking infuriating. I can't sling poop fast enough lol. It's like they are just both actively trying to be in the same spot If i make one leave the other follows and they are both in the air 90% of the time and my lance is just...semi pointless. I want to get good at the bow but I suck at taking out any rath variants or nergigante with bow, they are all too fast.

I've seen some videos of people hitting double the amounts for final attack with bow and I can't figure out how. It was like. 2 then 4 then 6-8 or something. I can only do 1 then 2 and 3. One of the videos a guy made a black diablos look like an absolute joke doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    God rathalos is annoying, and trying to kill azure and reg rathalos at the same time is freaking infuriating. I can't sling poop fast enough lol. It's like they are just both actively trying to be in the same spot If i make one leave the other follows and they are both in the air 90% of the time and my lance is just...semi pointless. I want to get good at the bow but I suck at taking out any rath variants or nergigante with bow, they are all too fast.

I've seen some videos of people hitting double the amounts for final attack with bow and I can't figure out how. It was like. 2 then 4 then 6-8 or something. I can only do 1 then 2 and 3. One of the videos a guy made a black diablos look like an absolute joke doing that.
    You want to sling poop at the one you were fighting and not the one that just showed up. Not sure if you were but a very common beginners mistake is to dung the one that just showed up which causes it to leave when the old one is already about to leave which makes it seem like theyre following each other around.

Also flash the crap out of it when it wont stop flying
    Last edited by Baconeggcheese; 2018-02-12 at 10:22 PM.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Finally got after spending like two weeks just playing with friends who are new to the game i got back to progression and solo'ed Negigante. Too about 15 minutes but he only dive bombed twice and god damn that makes the fight so much easier.

Got the tail cut too

as long as you arnt ages away from him he wont dive very often

10+ Year Old Account
    So still playing the game and I just defeated my second boss fight the kulu or whatever his name is managed to destroy his beak for an extra parts. So if I am correct there is no level in this games for my main character just ranks and gears to upgrade my defense and attack right? (My first Monster Hunter game ever I played, only been watching my friends over the years with the older ones when they were releasing the game for PSP days)

So basically gears are the decisive factor or certain player is great on the game or the ranks? or both? sorry for the newbie question but I am truly new.

Even though the combat style for me is not the best but I still find it decent enough to keep me busy these days haha using a long sword style. :P

So still playing the game and I just defeated my second boss fight the kulu or whatever his name is managed to destroy his beak for an extra parts. So if I am correct there is no level in this games for my main character just ranks and gears to upgrade my defense and attack right? (My first Monster Hunter game ever I played, only been watching my friends over the years with the older ones when they were releasing the game for PSP days)

So basically gears are the decisive factor or certain player is great on the game or the ranks? or both? sorry for the newbie question but I am truly new.

Even though the combat style for me is not the best but I still find it decent enough to keep me busy these days haha using a long sword style. :P
    To a point but its like the old 'you dont get hit you take no damage' kind of thing as well. You can load up on armor thats full of defensive skills but that might mean killing a monster slower, taking more damage and burning more resources in the long run. As you get to know the monsters and how they behave it gets to the point you are going "okay come in at this angle, 3 hits then dodge left as it does a swipe then combo into X" type stuff where you are not only on the offensive longer but burning the monsters stamina. In fact there are armour that give passives just to make the monster weaker along with elements like blast that just has each hit build an invisible value till a hit causes a part breaking explosion.
    Armour can help but as you get better it won't matter too much. I think by HR14 i made the bone set and zorah set and thats it. I could have made more but havent encountered a reason too yet. The best advice is look into your weapons hidden depths and that will be your best bet to improve.

For example i main the charge blade and that has little things you dont see beginners do like pressing triangle and circle at the end of a combo for a shield stab that gets more phial power and also distance if need be. Another example is pressing O mid charge axe combo cancels it but charges the shield and then holding circle then tirangle compresses the charge into the sword for constant elemental damage. Its little things you pick up over time that make you better without any gear upgrade and every weapon has them even if its stuff like turning on the spot while using the lances backstep to juke and jive around a monster.

10+ Year Old Account

As you progress through the story ("Assigned Quests") you unlock:
    - higher hunter rank
    - new tiers of possible armour upgrade levels
    - new tiers of possible weapon upgrade levels
    - access to new optional quests which give you different tools, better canteen food, better facilities in the town
    - access to new monsters which open up the types of weapons/armour available to you

Eventually you reach "High Rank" - which is a new tier of the game in a sense, which gives you:
    - armour with gem slots/multiple buff effects instead of single
    - more advanced monsters that only belong to high rank
    - elder dragons which give some pretty good shit
    - in late high rank, there's an additional improvement system which involves way more grinding of "tempered" monsters

TL;DR: Your character power will shift significantly over the course of the game, but so will the monsters. Your weapon will be stronger, your armour more defensive and your character will have more armour skills.

Example early player (arbitrary):
    100 attack
    40 defence
    +2 attack skill
    +1 speed sharpening skill

Example mid-late high rank player (also arbitrary, could be much better than this):
    850 attack
    400 defence
    +4 attack skill
    +5 earplugs skill
    +2 weakness exploit skill
    +2 handicraft skill

I just played the 3DS version of it, I was so amazed (especially for it being a portable console game). I wish I had heard of Monster Hunter earlier.

15+ Year Old Account
    So looks like on February 28th we can finally become Baeloy.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    Still slightly salt its not Bloodborne Hunter or something out there like 2b/9s

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    brb need to vomit.

Baeloy, that is gross.

am I the only one that finds diablos harder than the elder dragons?