Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    ok, and what does that have to do with anything i've said?
    I’m showing you that not all institutions that tell you, you are wrong, are equal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    When conservative students invite conservative speakers and they have to cancel it because of violent protesters, I can understand why they feel distrust.
    Hillary was the president of young republicans in her college. How is that for irony?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Does the speaker cause controversy?

If yes, they're a controversial speaker.

If no, they aren't.
    So you determine who is allowed to speak based on if the evoke a reaction from anyone, I guess socrates is fucked

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    So you determine who is allowed to speak based on if the evoke a reaction from anyone, I guess socrates is fucked
    I think he would do well at toga parties...

https://youtu.be/ZOJAGEvaihE
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I don't think there's nearly the condemnation of conservatism that people think there is. I think the real issue we see, is vocal groups colliding with one another. In essence, it seems to be more about a war of conflicting personalities, not ideals.

I went to a very liberal college, seriously... it's famous for being filled with liberals. I honestly didn't run into too many of the Trigglypuffs and whiny feminists that one would expect. I was rather surprised that the people were a little too focused on studying, and not enjoying college life. I came from a very conservative upbringing, and had horror stories about that university. When I got there, I saw a bunch of people who meshed rather well. Almost everyone just ignored the very few vocal people, including a couple loud conservatives.

I think the real problem is that there is a stronger push to pull people into those vocal groups. I saw it with BLM, and I see it with the conservative groups like Turning Point. Those people seem to think that college is a battlefield, when most people just want to get shit done and relax.

- - - Updated - - -

It's honestly true. The "indoctrination" isn't coming from teachers, it's coming from life itself.
    As someone who is going back to school at a city that is fairly liberal, but resides in one of the most conservative parts of California, I can say that this is really what I see the most of. Everything I see about safe spaces is blown out of proportion (want to know what safe spaces are on my very liberal campus? Teachers offices, where the teacher says it is a space for you to feel safe when discussing things with them, and a few of the dedicated club/organizations headquarters like the Sustainability Center and the LGBTQ+ Alliance that is on campus). I've taken many classes where we had discussions that challenge people to view things from either side of a viewpoint. Hell I had a class where I had to create a logical argument that argues in favor of child beauty pageants, not because I nor my group mates believed it, but because that was the assignment which was designed to challenge people.

Everyone is more concerned with passing their classes and relaxing then they are staging large protests. In fact, I've seen more protests by the faculty and staff about their wages and such then I have by students.

Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    As someone who is going back to school at a city that is fairly liberal, but resides in one of the most conservative parts of California, I can say that this is really what I see the most of. Everything I see about safe spaces is blown out of proportion (want to know what safe spaces are on my very liberal campus? Teachers offices, where the teacher says it is a space for you to feel safe when discussing things with them, and a few of the dedicated club/organizations headquarters like the Sustainability Center and the LGBTQ+ Alliance that is on campus). I've taken many classes where we had discussions that challenge people to view things from either side of a viewpoint. Hell I had a class where I had to create a logical argument that argues in favor of child beauty pageants, not because I nor my group mates believed it, but because that was the assignment which was designed to challenge people.

Everyone is more concerned with passing their classes and relaxing then they are staging large protests. In fact, I've seen more protests by the faculty and staff about their wages and such then I have by students.
    I've had similar experiences. Some people make such a big deal of how campuses are indoctrination camps or whatever, but it seems most of them have never set foot in one. Believe me, the vast majority of students are far more concerned with passing their course than with brainwashing your poor virgin ears or whatnot.

Yeah, there are loonies. At my university it was hardcore feminists (and I mean really, actually man-hating ones, and wearing it as a badge of honor). At the other big one in my city, it was left-wing activists who want free school and never freaking shut up about it. They're in the media because people who create waves get in the media, just like those loonies who form militias and play with their guns in public in some parts of the US get a disproportionate amount of press. They do exist, but they're not very numerous nor representative.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    False because that only happens with controversial speakers most of these colleges have had conservative speakers before with no incidents. You conservatives simply have a victim complex when it comes to these things.
    Well when everyone you disagree with is controversial....

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    So self described Republican hating, life long liberal like Johnathan Haidt who says the college campus has swung too far to the left, with safe spaces and trigger warnings and showing that the swing of Liberal to Conservative college professors has swung from a 2-4 to 1 to as much as a 14 to 1. Is really just making stuff up? Or conservative spy?
    I think the reason for the swing is that the Republican Party has become... extreme since the 80s like way way way to the right to the point where democrats now are the republicans of the 90s.

- - - Updated - - -

There's a question we also need to ask.

Why do educated people exposed to multiple different views tend to not like the Republican Party?

10+ Year Old Account
    I . . . what? Do you not know Greek history, and the life of Socrates? Particularly, his death?

Because either you're drawing an analogy that's completely ridiculous because you don't actually know anything about Socrates' life, or you're engaging in wild hyperbole that vastly misrepresents the treatment of controversial speakers in the modern era. There's no case where this isn't wildly off base.

- - - Updated - - -

What you're going to struggle with, in pushing this victim complex, is that there's no homogenous and unified "you" that's opposing conservative viewpoints in the first place. I know you want to believe that all liberals are part of a brainwashed hive mind or something, but it's not remotely true.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I . . . what? Do you not know Greek history, and the life of Socrates? Particularly, his death?

Because either you're drawing an analogy that's completely ridiculous because you don't actually know anything about Socrates' life, or you're engaging in wild hyperbole that vastly misrepresents the treatment of controversial speakers in the modern era. There's no case where this isn't wildly off base.

- - - Updated - - -

What you're going to struggle with, in pushing this victim complex, is that there's no homogenous and unified "you" that's opposing conservative viewpoints in the first place. I know you want to believe that all liberals are part of a brainwashed hive mind or something, but it's not remotely true.
    We have a long tradition of supporting free speech and free ideas in America, Canada does not. If we wanted to be more like Canada then I would say that this fascist wave on college campuses is good, but I don’t really care about Canada.

We have a long tradition of supporting free speech and free ideas in America, Canada does not. If we wanted to be more like Canada then I would say that this fascist wave on college campuses is good, but I don’t really care about Canada.
    That's not true at all. There's tons of times freedom of speech has been restricted. hell, Trump made calls to restrict freedom of speech... it's a shame that you Trumpsters weren't complaining when he did it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You sure seem to care a whole lot, since you are the one who brought up Canada.

And that's putting aside your fact-averse nonsense bullshit about Canada not supporting freedom of speech.

Again with the victim complex now coupled with an inability to read plenty of right wingers have spoken at these colleges. You are bothered that your Kim Kardashian conservatives are not getting to speak big whoop they don't want to speak anyways their brand is to make headlines to sell junk to suckers.

I will absolutely agree with the bit that it's not college that "converts" people to liberal - it's leaving the nest and getting away from your home's viewpoints. In modern (American) culture, this coincides with college. It's firmly established in political science that the biggest contributors to one's political opinion, above any media they may consume, are the opinions of their closest friends and family. This is built off of behavior built into people since evolution.

Honestly, having actually been to college, and having seen multiple different colleges across one state and other colleges in other states, I've never really seen what Fox and friends propaganda attributes to it. There are far left nutbags, but there are just as many far right nutbags. Here in Georgia, the loudest nutbags are the local (crazy people) churches, who set up and preach in the common spaces - yelling as loudly as they can that everyone is going to burn in hell if they so much as think of sinning. I've never even heard of a "safe space," except in terms almost opposite of what conservatives claim (to quote one professor [who was a black woman, if that matters]: "I want you to say whatever you want in this classroom no matter how offensive it may be. Don't worry about being racist or sexist. We will be okay with it. We can't have an honest discussion if we're tiptoeing around each other."). One starts to wonder about ulterior motives behind conservative media demonizing educational institutions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    I will absolutely agree with the bit that it's not college that "converts" people to liberal - it's leaving the nest and getting away from your home's viewpoints. In modern (American) culture, this coincides with college. It's firmly established in political science that the biggest contributors to one's political opinion, above any media they may consume, are the opinions of their closest friends and family. This is built off of behavior built into people since evolution.

Honestly, having actually been to college, and having seen multiple different colleges across one state and other colleges in other states, I've never really seen what Fox and friends propaganda attributes to it. There are far left nutbags, but there are just as many far right nutbags. Here in Georgia, the loudest nutbags are the local (crazy people) churches, who set up and preach in the common spaces - yelling as loudly as they can that everyone is going to burn in hell if they so much as think of sinning. I've never even heard of a "safe space," except in terms almost opposite of what conservatives claim (to quote one professor [who was a black woman, if that matters]: "I want you to say whatever you want in this classroom no matter how offensive it may be. Don't worry about being racist or sexist. We will be okay with it. We can't have an honest discussion if we're tiptoeing around each other."). One starts to wonder about ulterior motives behind conservative media demonizing educational institutions.
    The "safe space" accusations are particularly silly, since what these conservatives are demanding is that the entire college space be a "safe space" for their viewpoints, no matter how counterfactual and baseless and hurtful those viewpoints may actually be.

They just don't see it that way, because they're so deep in their own rabbit holes they don't even understand the basis of their own propaganda points.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Again with the victim complex now coupled with an inability to read plenty of right wingers have spoken at these colleges. You are bothered that your Kim Kardashian conservatives are not getting to speak big whoop they don't want to speak anyways their brand is to make headlines to sell junk to suckers.
    Can you not agree that everyone has a right to speak and violence to silence anyone is never the answer?

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you not agree that everyone has a right to speak and violence to silence anyone is never the answer?
    Who's seriously arguing otherwise? This is the mother of all straw men.

You're also confusing "having a right to speak" with "have some kind of right to a particular soapbox from which to spread your speech", which is not remotely the same thing. Being denied a setting on a university to give a speech is not a restriction of your freedoms.

10+ Year Old Account
    He thinks people telling "conservatives" who say that we should be dead for daring to be poor should shut up, is violence against them.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

You're also confusing "having a right to speak" with "have some kind of right to a particular soapbox from which to spread your speech", which is not remotely the same thing. Being denied a setting on a university to give a speech is not a restriction of your freedoms.
    Protesting and using violence to shutdown speakers who were given approval by relevant authorities is an infringement of freedom of speech. Not everything that is not explicitly outlawed by the government is right. You need to brush up on your Mill bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitten View Post
    Protesting and using violence to shutdown speakers who were given approval by relevant authorities is an infringement of freedom of speech. Not everything that is not explicitly outlawed by the government is right. You need to brush up on your Mill bro.
    Protesting is absolutely acceptable, violence is not. I doubt you'll find many that support violent protests but you'll likely find widespread support of peaceful protests. It doesn't matter if the speaker was approved or not, protesters can and should be allowed to protest peacefully.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitten View Post
    You're not going to find any instance of me defending lawless violence. That said, crowds of people chanting and blocking pathways and yelling insults isn't "violence", and is, in fact, free speech.

I am, however, disputing the claims of that violence's omnipresence; it isn't that common, and while it does crop up, there's no partisan leanings on that violence; extremists of both sides of the partisan divide get violent at times.