15+ Year Old Account

AMD's APUs are de-lidable ... CPUs to remain soldered (hopefully).

This may be interesting to quite a few people as this could potentially increase the GPU output capability nicely.

CPU will not notice anything really since it's more uArch limited since it's using Ryzen 14nm and not the new upcoming 12nm Ryzen+

Interesting view regardless... I was under the impression that AMD soldered all of it's APUs as well.
    Seems like there is a difference between some APUs which is and which isn't soldered, even der8auer doesn't know.

I'm just hoping AMD won't follow the same crap as Intel is doing to their CPUs.
    Though chances are they won't because in this case AMD has openly stated that the Ryzen APUs are using TIM simply to save cost, no other reason.

Which is a more honest answer than the multiple of answers given to us by Intel regarding the same topic.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

So, GPU units. Have they not been paste since the dawn of time? I am talking discrete ones.

Maybe it is time to thermal grizzly some shit. Never even crossed my mind TBH.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    So, GPU units. Have they not been paste since the dawn of time? I am talking discrete ones.

Maybe it is time to thermal grizzly some shit. Never even crossed my mind TBH.
    GPUs have been paste since it's a direct die on heatsink cooling.
    APUs are CPUs with an iGPU and they've been (apparently) both soldered and TIM between the die and IHS.

So these are integrated GPUs on the CPU die and they are CONSIDERABLY more potent than anything Intel has to offer.
    If you can overclock these properly you could potentially have some sweet sweet gains.

This is an 11CU (Ryzen 5 2400G) that is already matching a GT 1030 ... now imagine what the most powerful APU will be able to do which will have 28CUs.
    Hoping that isn't soldered but the potential for the 28CU part is insane being able to reach near 1060/580 levels of performance if scaling is what we think it'll be.

Hell every HTPCer will LOVE the Ryzen APUs as they are right now as their multi-media capabilities are so far beyond Intel's iGPUs it's not even funny.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    I'm just hoping AMD won't follow the same crap as Intel is doing to their CPUs.
    Though chances are they won't because in this case AMD has openly stated that the Ryzen APUs are using TIM simply to save cost, no other reason.

Which is a more honest answer than the multiple of answers given to us by Intel regarding the same topic.
    They have stated that Summit Ridge will use TIM.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment..._apus/du7yhnf/

I'm sensing some concern that a targeted decision we made for the APU somehow signals a grand change in strategy for other products down the road. I want to clear that up, so let's Real Talk™ for a second.

The AMD Ryzen APUs are mainstream processors, which must strike a balance between CPU performance, GPU performance, and cost to be successful. It's a very competitive and sensitive market. So, yes, one of the decisions we made for that specific market was to use traditional non-metallic TIM. Plus, technically speaking, a non-metallic TIM just made the most sense for the performance and thermal characteristics of the APU design. It was the right tool for the right job.

But let me be crystal clear about something: a pure processor, designed for enthusiast gaming machines, plays in a different market. There are different expectations. Different prices. Different thermal and mechanical requirements. All of that lead us to indium solder TIM with "Summit Ridge," and it will lead us to solder again with the 2nd-gen Ryzen. We know it's important.

Tell your friends.
    I am in 2 minds with these APU's. They are really great value propositions. They are brilliant for anyone building a HTPC and also for budget gaming. You would get a very capable WOW PC using the 2400G for a few hundred dollars. They are neck and neck with GTX 1030's which is amazing for a $169 price tag. It's basically 60fps low quality 1080 gaming and medium quality 720 gaming without a discrete graphics card.

I would just love one with 560/1050ti level graphics inside. It would be my go to machine for the kids. No competition from mining and 1080 medium-high level gaming. There wouldn't be any competition. The Intel/Vega one is way too expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

This is an 11CU (Ryzen 5 2400G) that is already matching a GT 1030 ... now imagine what the most powerful APU will be able to do which will have 28CUs.
    They would need to go the route of having embedded HBM memory because the RAM is what is stopping these from getting higher performance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    They have stated that Summit Ridge will use TIM.
    TIM is nothing but a term to describe something that transfers heat between surfaces, can be Indium Solder and can be Thermal Paste.

In this case Summit Ridge and up as pure performance products, as stated in your link, will use Indium Solder

Which is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I am in 2 minds with these APU's. They are really great value propositions. They are brilliant for anyone building a HTPC and also for budget gaming. You would get a very capable WOW PC using the 2400G for a few hundred dollars. They are neck and neck with GTX 1030's which is amazing for a $169 price tag. It's basically 60fps low quality 1080 gaming and medium quality 720 gaming without a discrete graphics card.

I would just love one with 560/1050ti level graphics inside. It would be my go to machine for the kids. No competition from mining and 1080 medium-high level gaming. There wouldn't be any competition. The Intel/Vega one is way too expensive.

They would need to go the route of having embedded HBM memory because the RAM is what is stopping these from getting higher performance.
    That's very likely what the 28CU unit will have... and even if it does it's still insane possible performance on a chip instead of a dedicated GFX card.

But these lower end Ryzen APUs are budget gaming builds and uber HTPCs, any HTPC builder will gladly go for instead of Intel's iGPU because of the crappy compatibility and terrible multi-media optimizations and colours that Intel offers vs. the AMD optimizations, FreeSync support, etc.

It's already impressive as it is... let's hope this continues going!

TIM is nothing but a term to describe something that transfers heat between surfaces, can be Indium Solder and can be Thermal Paste.

In this case Summit Ridge and up as pure performance products, as stated in your link, will use Indium Solder

Which is good.
    I know. My copy and paste fu is not working well today. I tried to copy "indium solder TIM" from the quoted portion and didn't quite complete it properly
    Last edited by Gray_Matter; 2018-02-14 at 07:46 PM.