What should I expect for performance?

I'll be back in WoW after a 5 year break. I will have upgraded from a Core2Duo 3ghz w/8gig ram and an AMD Radeon (not sure type anymore) w/1gig ram to an i7/7700HQ w/16gig ram and an nVidia 1070 GTX w/8gig ram. Before, the max resolution was 1600x1200 and now it can go full 4k display.

With that being said, with all the bells & whistles turned on, what kind of framerates am I looking at having both in raid as well as out?

Quote Originally Posted by Diatribe View Post
    I'll be back in WoW after a 5 year break. I will have upgraded from a Core2Duo 3ghz w/8gig ram and an AMD Radeon (not sure type anymore) w/1gig ram to an i7/7700HQ w/16gig ram and an nVidia 1070 GTX w/8gig ram. Before, the max resolution was 1600x1200 and now it can go full 4k display.

With that being said, with all the bells & whistles turned on, what kind of framerates am I looking at having both in raid as well as out?
    Depends on how you set your settings.

In raids you will never have decent FPS in a half-competent guild.

WoW doesnt care about your GTX 1070, even at 4K, although it does help having such a GPU at 4K.

But 7700HQ is still good enough to produce some decent results.

Averagely if i recall the Performance of 7700HQ you will be perfectly fine outside even on setting 7 (Ultra basically), with problems at Suramar/Dalaran/Invasions (As everyone else, this is WoW optimization).

Just set Anti-Aliasing at CMAA and nothing like SSAA.

And in raids with decent smart settings and not overkill, anywhere from 30 to 70, depending on raid size/which boss/etc.

Compared to your C2D its gonna be night and day, but WoW is still not that well optimized and thats a laptop CPU, a strong one but still a laptop one.

TLDR: You will be perfectly fine.
    Last edited by potis; 2018-02-14 at 11:20 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Considering WoW is a horribly optimized game, and it's single core CPU speed dependent, the real answer is what your i7 GHz is and what settings you use.

Using 10 isn't really that optimized, most go for 7-8 as it doesn't affect visual quality much at all and drastically increases FPS.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Just a couple more days and I can finally order the new laptop. I made certain my WoW accou t is active and have all expansions up to and including Legion.