10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    I'm trying to explore this. I'm promised that banning guns ends all violence forever and confused why people would ignore a gun ban in Brazil.
    This may be surprising news, but Brazil is not the US. I'll allow you to deal with that shock.
    "It is not wise to judge others based on your own preconceptions or by their appearances."

Quote Originally Posted by yoma View Post
    This may be surprising news, but Brazil is not the US. I'll allow you to deal with that shock.
    Oh ok. Well this might shock you but the US isn't Luxembourg or Sweden or any other country for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    The way I took it is, is that a lot of people tell the EU to have a stiff upper lip and get used to (more or less) their terrorist attacks. In the US we do a lot about terrorism, I agree, but almost nothing about gun control, so at this point, I think the population is just "ok" with mass shootings, because if not then we would do something about it.

And if that's the case, the people that keep saying "we should do something" (about gun crime here) but then go on and say "the EU should get used to terrorism" there is a disconnect.

Technically speaking mass shootings are a form of terrorism... so why are these people treating two similar (though not the same) situation with very different calls... one for apathy (get used to it!) the other with action (we need to do something!).
    Honest answer. It's easier to critique people than yourself.

That's why all the people mockingly saying hopes and prayers will get mad if the mockery is returned when it's time to say Paris Strong or whatever terrorism ignoring phrase gets conjured.
    Last edited by Dextroden; 2018-02-14 at 11:11 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I'm starting to get tired off all this gun violence and I'm probably not the only one.

If the NRA want's to defend the Second Amendment, they'd better do something about all these attacks. It's just a matter of time before enough of us get mad and change the Second Amendment, 2/3rds of the states ratify the change, etc, etc.

You think it'll never happen? Just you wait and see.
    There are some gun control laws which we could certainly benefit from. But basically just better enforcement of the laws we have and stronger penalties for breaking them would help as a beginner.

And no, it takes 3/4 of the states to ratify a amendment to the Constitution. Not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by yoma View Post
    And Australia isn't the US, either. But that would get in the way of polishing that Australian bellend people like to do.

Honest answer. It's to critique people than yourself.

That's why all the people mockingly saying hopes and prayers will get mad if the mockery is returned when it's time to say Paris Strong or whatever terrorism ignoring phrase gets conjured.
    A terrorist attack like the one in Paris isnt happening frequently. "Thoughts and prayers" related to gun violence in the US is becoming a meme cus nobody is doing anything but praying and the shootings keep on happening. Minutes after the attack happened in Paris they went on a rampage scouring the entirety of Europe for any people with a connection to the shooters.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way I took it, is that a lot of people tell the EU to have a stiff upper lip and get used to (more or less) their terrorist attacks. In the US we do a lot about terrorism, I agree, but almost nothing about gun control, so at this point, I think the population is just "ok" with mass shootings, because if not then we would do something about it.

And if that's the case, the people that keep saying "we should do something" (about gun crime here) but then go on and say "the EU should get used to terrorism" there is a disconnect.

Technically speaking mass shootings are a form of terrorism... so why are these people treating two similar (though not the same) situations with very different calls... one for apathy (get used to it!) the other with action (we need to do something!).
    That is not true. We could improve on some and even add some more, such as Universal background checks.

Everyone at work just north of this is just like...oh again? Like the reaction to these shootings is just so meh whatever nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by vkpush View Post
    A terrorist attack like the one in Paris isnt happening frequently. "Thoughts and prayers" related to gun violence in the US is becoming a meme cus nobody is doing anything but praying and the shootings keep on happening. Minutes after the attack happened in Paris they went on a rampage scouring the entirety of Europe for any people with a connection to the shooters.
    And this shooter was hunted by the police. Fucking weird, Right?

And low and behold. Look who doesn't like their dead being mocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    It's unacceptable that we keep hearing about these mass gun shootings and yet nothing meaningful is done.
    It's unacceptable that we keep hearing about these bombings, knife attacks, and truck attacks and yet nothing meaningful is done.

What do you want to see done to prevent all these terrible acts of violence?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    No, that is how every constitutions, including the US, works.
    Nope. You lack a understanding of our Constitutional process to amend it. And it is not done by popular vote. Think of it somewhat like how we elect a President. Only even more requirements. After a 2/3 Congressional call for a amendment, 3/4 of the States have to ratify it. The representatives of each State must vote for it. Of those who do, for a amendment to pass, 3/4 of the states must approve it.

Honest answer. It's easier to critique people than yourself.

You realize the difference is that countries/cities are actually trying to stop terrorism attacks right? 'Paris Strong' isn't about 'sigh, oh well there was another one' but about remaining defiant in the face of attacks.

Terrorist attacks are not met with weary resignation like yet another mass shooting in the US is.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    It's unacceptable that we keep hearing about these bombings, knife attacks, and truck attacks and yet nothing meaningful is done.

What do you want to see done to prevent all these terrible acts of violence?
    Contrary to popular belief, authorities are combating terrorism.

And this shooter was hunted by the police. Fucking weird, Right?

And low and behold. Look who doesn't like their dead being mocked.
    Yea but catching the gunman isn't gonna solve anything. Sadly there's no secret society of school shooters so you can catch them before they strike. But there are other ways of preventing it, but nothing will happen as long as the gun lobby run things. I'm not french, i just latched onto your comparison.

Latest is 16 dead.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Right? Any shooter thread is just a place for people who utterly loathe the USA to circle jerk about it.
    Thought better of my post. The world is a violent place, and I guess violence will just keep happening. The US for the most part (or at least the powers that be, that could possibly change things) are ok with it.

I'm cynical that anything will ever change.
    Last edited by Shaderas; 2018-02-14 at 11:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.

I normally think that's kind useless after the fact... blame is useless when 14 people already died. (either by bomb, or gun, or bus, or whatever). Blame is not going to fix anything in and of itself. Finding out what went wrong, and fixing that (Did people (or radicalization) fall through the cracks? Is there a mental health issue we need to address?, etc, etc) is what comes close to stopping such things.
    Then you should understand that these threads are nothing but a blame cesspit.

Oh, it's Thursday again!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    They used to say that about knightly values, vows and honor too.
    Even some of those are still valid. Many now takes vows ( which is really a oath ). And being honorable, lawful, kind and compassionate, are still good values today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit. Feels like there are shootings every month now...