Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why is the White House Hiding the Immigration Status of Melania's Parents?

Today's big story is that the WH refuses to detail the immigration status of Melania Trump's Parents. While trying to set the immigration rules for everyone else. The bigger story is that Melania's father Viktor, is a former member of a Communist Party in Slovenia. If Michelle's or Hillary's dad were a Communist there would be much outrage.

Things seem different when the immigrants are from Slovenia.
    Melania Trump was born in Slovenia, first came to the United States in the mid-1990s, got a green card in 2001, married Donald Trump, and eventually became the first immigrant first lady. Her ascension would be an inspiring immigrant success story if not for the fact that her husband’s brief political career has been dominated from the beginning by anti-immigrant demagoguery, which soaks his wife’s story in accusations of hypocrisy.

The most recent flare-up involves Melania’s parents, Viktor and Amalija Knavs, who appear to currently live in the United States, where they are very engaged with the care and rearing of their grandson Barron Trump.

This would not ordinarily be a particularly noteworthy situation. (Michelle Obama’s mother lived in the White House throughout the duration of the Obama administration, primarily to help with the kids.) But the Trump administration has specifically made an effort to bar US citizens from sponsoring visas for their parents a centerpiece of its immigration policy efforts.

It's rather simple, his problem is with brown people, not with the parents of trophy wives. Yes, he's a hypocrite. No, his followers will not care. yes, they will bend over backwards to justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It's rather simple, his problem is with brown people, not with the parents of trophy wives. Yes, he's a hypocrite. No, his followers will not care. yes, they will bend over backwards to justify it.
    /thread
    _______
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Agreed. The above is pretty much the Trump mantra. Daily hypocrisy followed by personal financial gain and then golf.

We might never recover from what he's wrought upon us.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the better question is Where in the World is Melania Trump.

Seriously, she's like invisible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would the immigration status of individuals usually be something that is made public? It seems like the sort of enquiry government departments respond to with ‘we do not discuss individual cases’.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Would the immigration status of individuals usually be something that is made public? It seems like the sort of enquiry government departments respond to with ‘we do not discuss individual cases’.
    Sorry you missed the past 6 years of Trump campaigning on the immigration status of Obama.

Poor Tories must be totally offended by the transgression of people asking about the immigration status of public figures. /clutches pearls

Yet you can still invest in one of trump jr's projects and get your status that way. Still a bunch of different ways to obtain status.

- - - Updated - - -

True but the left are calling him a hypocrite for it if the parents came here via chain migration. Like I stated above they have another option and a few others to obtain status.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I think the better question is Where in the World is Melania Trump.

Seriously, she's like invisible.
    She is not an elected official. Where is Angela Merkel's husband(he is a notable scientist/lecturer), Theresa May's other half? (A very successful investment banker IIRC). Honestly people who might have an opinion worth listening to but have a little class not to be in the limelight by proxy.

Other first ladies should take note. I have always found it a bit weird. Why is it a requirement that they be politically engaged?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

they are also hiding trump tax return. In my opinion tax return is kept hidden for either of 2 reasons 1.He is not rich as he claims . 2. he has been paying tax as percentage of total income lower than average american people pays.

Didnt Melania do modeling work and get paid while on a tourist visa?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Sorry you missed the past 6 years of Trump campaigning on the immigration status of Obama.
    Trump is a dick, so you want to be a dick too?

Poor Tories must be totally offended by the transgression of people asking about the immigration status of public figures. /clutches pearls
    They aren’t public figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Today's big story is that the WH refuses to detail the immigration status of Melania Trump's Parents. While trying to set the immigration rules for everyone else. The bigger story is that Melania's father Viktor, is a former member of a Communist Party in Slovenia. If Michelle's or Hillary's dad were a Communist there would be much outrage.
    There were plenty of cases in Soviet space where being "member of Communist Party" was just formality.

Did he hold some high party post in addition to being a member?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    YTrue but the left are calling him a hypocrite for it if the parents came here via chain migration. Like I stated above they have another option and a few others to obtain status.
    And just to be clear; the issue is not that her parents shouldn't have residency permits. The issue is that, according to Trump, they shouldn't, but he clearly has a double standard when it comes to people he knows and wants around. That hypocrisy is the issue, not their actual residency.

Deleted
    He's probably an hypocrite about it.
    Still, involving the parents of an non-elected family member with no governmental position is pretty low.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    Still, involving the parents of an non-elected family member with no governmental position is pretty low.
    Indeed, it’s gutter politics.

I don’t know vox.com, are they typically this bad?

Its important for the crowd on here too know so they can keep up the endless trump whine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Trump's father-in-law, Melania'dad was a member of the Communist party Trumpkins.
    You people were outraged at through conspiracy theories that Obama was a Communist, Muslim, Muslim Brotherhood and whatever else.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Uninteresting topic for a thread. It was required to be a member of the communist party in most former communist states. It is a bit like having been a member of the Hitler Youth in Germany...doesn't mean anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    Uninteresting topic for a thread. It was required to be a member of the communist party in most former communist states. It is a bit like having been a member of the Hitler Youth in Germany...doesn't mean anything.
    As @Endus has stated. We don't care he belonged to the Communist party. It's the hypocrisy. As in original post and my post this would be beaten in the head of Fox viewers and every right wing outlet.

Again they had conspiracy theories on what Obama was.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!