Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    No, the ones who say this:

Are fucking people over.

I'm sorry that I don't have a dollar menu for your convenience, and I'm sorry that I have to price things competitively, and I'm sorry that you have an attitude that would... nevermind.

Yes, I am subsidizing my employees with tips. Otherwise I'd subsidize them with increased prices. Which, if I noticed, I said you'd complain about.
    Yeah, I'm aware you're a jackal who only thinks about his own pockets.

Guess what, so is everyone else. Your pocket isn't more important than my pocket, so I refuse to play by your rules. Oh boo hoo, you have to raise your prices. So does every other business, without relying on customers to pick up the slack for the employer.

I can only hope the other people realise they're fattening your pouch with their own and stop tipping.

and go do something destructive. To yourself.
    Fucking fight me irl m8
    Last edited by pateuvasiliu; 2018-02-14 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    I can only hope the other people realise they're fattening your pouch with their own and stop tipping.
    Brings us back to, you'll also complain when I raise prices. Acknowledge that.

Fucking fight me irl m8
    This is real life, if I'm not mistaken. Are you saying with swords instead of virtual pens? I have both.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'm aware you're a jackal who only thinks about his own pockets.

Guess what, so is everyone else. Your pocket isn't more important than my pocket, so I refuse to play by your rules. Oh boo hoo, you have to raise your prices. So does every other business, without relying on customers to pick up the slack for the employer.

Fucking fight me irl m8
    awww look we appear to have struck a nerve. its getting mad. something bothering you pateuvasillu?

also if you don't like tipping go eat at mcdonalds. seriously. they even have a happy meal just for you.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2018-02-15 at 12:56 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Not that I believe in our tipping culture, but by not tipping you can actually make them lose money at work because the IRS charges taxed based on their tables receipt, assuming they will get a tip. https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...tic-gratuities, fun stuff.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Why do we need a new thread on this every 3-6 months?
    I can stop them from making any more threads... for an appropriate tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    if you think about how much bartenders and waiters get paid and dont pay taxes on its sickening, even more so when they complain and act like they make shit money. nonsense

7+ Year Old Account
    The rule - 15% is the base, 20% if the service is good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    if you think about how much bartenders and waiters get paid and dont pay taxes on its sickening, even more so when they complain and act like they make shit money. nonsense
    if you think about how much ignorance like this is posted on this forum it's sickening. even more so when they complain and whine about it.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    Not that I believe in our tipping culture, but by not tipping you can actually make them lose money at work because the IRS charges taxed based on their tables receipt, assuming they will get a tip. https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...tic-gratuities, fun stuff.
    They are not losing shit. They are supposed to be reporting their tips for taxation anyway. The only difference here is that instead of taking cash off the table, the cash goes on their paycheck. And it gets taxed up front, instead of waiting for the end of the year and hoping they are honest and report their tips to be taxed.

This also only affects companies that do an 'automatic tip' included in the bill.

Did you even read what you linked?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    When traveling, I go with what the locals do.

As an American, my day to day tipping: 15% for standard service, add or subtract based on various factors. I've gone as high as 40% on a tip. I've gone as low as no tip.

Never give no tip. If the service was so damn shit, leave only a penny for a tip. I've had such a Shit experience at a restaurant before that I was simply forgotten about for a good 30 minutes. I left them a penny, and even wrote a message on the receipt for the manager to eventually read, to make sure they understand I left a penny rather than nothing. I've only done that once in my life

tipping should be banned (at least as a primary income source) but since we have to deal with it, unless your service was absolutely awful, you should tip AT LEAST 15%. at the very least.

I am an American, but I hate the tipping tradition. Just don't like it. However, I do abide by it even if I feel I am guilt tripped into it. I was raised that the standard is 15% and that is what I always do. Like others, I do go over for good service and under for bad. Another thing that you may want to consider is tipping at a bar. The common theme people have done is tip $1 per drink. So 2 drinks would be $2 tip. While some might not agree with that, that is what I do. If I get some good drinks and service, I will leave a good tip.

Just take a look at your receipts one day and look how much go to tipping, its pretty ridiculous. I don't eat out hardly at all anymore, so most of my tipping goes to drinks, which I tend to tip higher now since I don't eat out much anymore.

I was in Denver recently and saw on a receipt that they charged me an extra 2% for the "living wage". Lol I lowered the tip. Pay your employees more then, don't make me pay a 2% increase if I am already tipping too. My opinion as some will agree on that 2% add on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    No, you don't HAVE to tip.

But the U.S has perfected the art of pushing the responsibility of paying the employee's wages onto the customer instead of the employer.
    So if you don't, you'll basically be labeled a cheap dick and treated poorly (most likely).

By pushing part of the employees revenue stream(partial income) onto customers the restaurant manager can lower the prices of their menu in order to attract more customers, who all feel forced to pay tipping.

Not going to lie when, I visited the u.s on a study trip i was surprised at how widespread this practice was. Hell, even the freaking taxi drivers wanted tips for doing basic shit like putting your luggage into the car, something that is pretty damn basic and standard in the EU.
    Hence why the US is considered a 3rd world country by us scandinavians. If you can't run your business without under paying your employees, you shouldn't run a business in the first place.

7+ Year Old Account
    I thought the rule was 10% for crappy service, 15% for "standard" and 20% for excellent service??
    Side Note. Having worked as a cook in a restaurant, I have seen people not tip servers and want to tip the cooking staff instead.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skayth View Post
    Never give no tip. If the service was so damn shit, leave only a penny for a tip. I've had such a Shit experience at a restaurant before that I was simply forgotten about for a good 30 minutes. I left them a penny, and even wrote a message on the receipt for the manager to eventually read, to make sure they understand I left a penny rather than nothing. I've only done that once in my life
    I hear what you're saying but when service is poor enough, I go with 0%.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2018-02-15 at 04:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragelicious View Post
    Hence why the US is considered a 3rd world country by us scandinavians. If you can't run your business without under paying your employees, you shouldn't run a business in the first place.
    the u.s. doesn't care what you think about us.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why do people make threads like this? Do you seriously not know what to do? Can you really not determine what you should tip someone or if you should at all? You are an adult, use your brain...

It's a sleazy tactic from the employer's end.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    lol, have you ever been to the internet?

But really, if you don't tip in the US, you're fucking people over. It's not my fault the industry standard is tipping.

Actually, fuck off, you'd probably complain if I raised prices to pay employees living wage. For real.
    How are people fucking someone over by not tipping? You're paid to do a job, do the job. The customer is not directly paying your wage, your wage comes from your employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    How are people fucking someone over by not tipping? You're paid to do a job, do the job. The customer is not directly paying your wage, your wage comes from your employer.
    Agreed. I am not some charity randomly handing out monetary participation awards. Uh... good job, you managed to get my food in time and keep up with refills.